Fozzfox72 wrote:My mistake its straight 6 not v6 lol

:oops:
Does not matter at all!

The 'BEAST' 666
SeriousRikk

blank

Re: How much do you like your Z3

Post by SeriousRikk »

I really enjoyed reading this thread, making my look forward to getting a Zed even more :)
Richard - Old Zeddy's new home...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think this says it all.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Southernboy wrote:I think this says it all.... :wink:
It says that you need a wide angle lens for your camera to me. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

ha ha...you're right... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Radio Code

Post by johnz3 »

I may want go remove my radio to try to fix the cd jumping evry now and then. Seen a post on here re 'rubber strips'.

If I have to remove the radio totally I think I might need to put in the code again.

I have with the original BMW book a RadioPass BMW card. Business card size.

It has the following information on it.

What if any is the code please:
BP0273 Type Model
29981181 Serial Number
6772 Europe
54116. US

Thanks
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

If the Z3 was a Transformer it would kick Optimus Prime off of the throne!

I have always loved the look of the Z3. The front end looks like giant lions' paws reaching, clawing its way forward through the bitumen - taking the rider for the ride of his/her life. The roar from the back end reminds you that you are inside a beast wanting to take you wherever you want to go with no questions asked. Drop the top and you are in an exciting world and it's about as close as you can get to riding a motorbike without compromising safety. Did I mention that the Zed owns you and not the other way around? It demands attention, respect, care and love. Those that own one know what I mean. It's a 'calling'.

There is something every Z3 owner has to sacrifice - their humility! Owning A Z3 will get you stares from unknown admirers, people wishing that they could get in there and drive away with it, call it 'instant stardom'. It is common for others in their pocket rockets and Hyundai cars sporting a new set of chrome wheels and a 'hot dog' exhaust to challenge you at the lights. Meh! I couldn't be bothered blowing them off in style so I let them speed off to the next set of red lights. Dignity retained for another day.

Zeds are great as stock standard and this is the way many owners like them too. Sure they have a few minor bits and pieces that we would like to change [and often do] but the overall package is sexy. Some owners bling them up a bit and try to squeeze a few extra HP out 'em and that is fun too. If done properly you get respect from other owners, slaps on the back, 'well done chap' - acceptance in the Zed community, the Zed family.

Cooper
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Some great stories on this thread.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Robert T wrote:
Southernboy wrote:I think this says it all.... :wink:
It says that you need a wide angle lens for your camera to me. :wink:

Cheers R.

Or you could take a couple of steps back.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Cooper01 wrote:If the Z3 was a Transformer it would kick Optimus Prime off of the throne!

I have always loved the look of the Z3. The front end looks like giant lions' paws reaching, clawing its way forward through the bitumen - taking the rider for the ride of his/her life. The roar from the back end reminds you that you are inside a beast wanting to take you wherever you want to go with no questions asked. Drop the top and you are in an exciting world and it's about as close as you can get to riding a motorbike without compromising safety. Did I mention that the Zed owns you and not the other way around? It demands attention, respect, care and love. Those that own one know what I mean. It's a 'calling'.

There is something every Z3 owner has to sacrifice - their humility! Owning A Z3 will get you stares from unknown admirers, people wishing that they could get in there and drive away with it, call it 'instant stardom'. It is common for others in their pocket rockets and Hyundai cars sporting a new set of chrome wheels and a 'hot dog' exhaust to challenge you at the lights. Meh! I couldn't be bothered blowing them off in style so I let them speed off to the next set of red lights. Dignity retained for another day.

Zeds are great as stock standard and this is the way many owners like them too. Sure they have a few minor bits and pieces that we would like to change [and often do] but the overall package is sexy. Some owners bling them up a bit and try to squeeze a few extra HP out 'em and that is fun too. If done properly you get respect from other owners, slaps on the back, 'well done chap' - acceptance in the Zed community, the Zed family.Cooper

Hi Cooper01. Your opening lines mirror my sentiments entirely. I must however add that the Z3 can also be likened to good wife or partner - look after them well and there will be pleasures all around and in abundance for many many years.
I had - to myself - likened the hood down experience to my late start days of motorcycles beginning with a Honda 125TDC SuperDream at the age of 40yrs,then a Honda VT250 and moving on to the Honda VF400.
The Z3 is a open air experience without the clutter and fuss of bike gear,helmet,bulky gloves and boots and when the weather turns sour - up goes the hood.
That said, I have now got a hardtop ( courtesy of Kevin Fuller) for preservation of the Mohair Hood from algae and other rural muck and rubbish during the winter months.
Come Spring and the full benefits of open air motoring again.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I have had loads of cars over the years, minis to start with,vans ,company cars, last few have been RangeRovers 3.5v8, 3.9v8 ,Discovery, then in mid life crisis, I built a kit car ,wanted
one sinse my early 20s when I had a lift in a cateram so I got a Robin Hood2B ,caterams too expansive , but swmbo would not get into it ,bad hair day,so after 10 years of hood owner ship I saw a body kit at the Donny kit show last year using a z3 as a doner , found a CatC 2.2 straight 6 face lift going cheep last August, got her home on the back of a trailer, on getting home swmbo said NO WAY are you turning that into another kit car, its too nice to chop up, on looking at her(z3) I realised what a sweet little car she was so I have spent last winter in my garage fitting new(second hand) parts to bring her back to life now all that's needed to do is a mot / service and vosa check next month,so I can get a log book, all being well a test run up to Tatton Park show later this year,then happy days ,got my anual Le Mans trip booked in her reg number for our first long run(AA card in pocket) peter2b
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I love It so much, I'm being buried in it.

The 'BEAST' 666
eahornel1

M roadster S50

Post by eahornel1 »

I thought it was againt the law to be buried in a shed :squeeze: :squeeze: :wink:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Ha

The 'BEAST' 666
eahornel1

M roadster S50

Post by eahornel1 »

Only kidding mate, it a classic....
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

And I'm going to be buried in one!

The 'BEAST' 666
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

This is a great thread, with some really good feed back. I was unable to read the original article, does anybody know where it was printed? I have owned Kruisn for 14 years and still enjoy the drive, looks, feel and fun. Nice to hear all your stories. Long live the Z3. :squeeze:
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Took swmbo out for my first run in my z3 last sunday she loves it so do i, it handles just like my robin hood 2b only much better ,
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

I love my 2.0 Auto Z3 that much I occasionally let it listen to my favourite Bob Dylan and Van Morrison albums and during reflective periods I will put some Reba McEntire and Eva Cassidy into the player.
Best listened to at either totally illegal speeds or just bumbling along at circa 40 to 56mph.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
wifevanda

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wifevanda »

Radio code is the 6772
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Start her up,drop the top....... it's all about anticipation and reward, like sharing time with a good friend. One doesn't have to talk to make conversation - it's a mutual experience.
"Normal is overrated"

ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Southernboy wrote:Start her up,drop the top....... it's all about anticipation and reward, like sharing time with a good friend. One doesn't have to talk to make conversation - it's a mutual experience.
Hi Southernboy. Yes,so true and especially :- "One doesn't have to talk to make conversation". Even more-so after a couple of glasses of quality red wine and in a darkened room with plenty of Mood Music.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

What made you buy a Z3.

I always liked the look of the Z3 from back when we lived in California. I almost got one then, but ended up in a Mustang (long story). When we came back to the UK a local Garage had an Oxford Green 2.0 for sale and having to walk past it every day was too tempting. Even though it wasn't practical and I didn't need it, I bought it anyway. After 9 months, a couple of cruises and this forum I realised I had bought the wrong car. I NEEDED an M Roadster. Fortunately at that time Tim Cullis Laguna Seca S54 came up for sale at my local BMW dealer. I must have driven past 20 times before even going into look. One test drive later the deal was done. Fast forward 10 years and the feeling is just as strong. I have also met many amazing friends as a result of this forum.

What keeps you interested - I still love the way it looks and the fact it is one of only 2 in Laguna Seca Blue and one of only 73 S54s in RHD makes it a keeper. It's also worth more now than I paid for it which it rare in motor cars :) The community here also keeps me interested. Trust me, anything a new owner wants to do has already been done so there is a wealth of knowledge here and plenty of people willing to help.

Sacrifices - To be honest they are not the best to drive and I have always hankered after a 911.

What you love the most - The wide, wide rear end. Baby definitely got back!

What frustrates me as a Z3 owner - The fact that BMW seem to treat the Z3 like an unloved stepchild. The hairdresser car jokes also get old.

#notsellingever
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

siwilson wrote:#notsellingever
Boo #firstdibswhenyoudo
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

mine zed is now going even better now I'm learning how to treat her ,she gives me a hint if I press the throttle too quick the radio or CD player stops working for a few seconds then comes back on,doesn't happen if I take things slowish
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

peter2b wrote:mine zed is now going even better now I'm learning how to treat her ,she gives me a hint if I press the throttle too quick the radio or CD player stops working for a few seconds then comes back on,doesn't happen if I take things slowish
peter2b
Hi Peter. Interesting,could it be that the music is appreciated better and wind noise upsets her listening ability - so she momentarily halts proceedings for joint pleasure !!!!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

peter2b wrote:mine zed is now going even better now I'm learning how to treat her ,she gives me a hint if I press the throttle too quick the radio or CD player stops working for a few seconds then comes back on,doesn't happen if I take things slowish
peter2b
Hi Peter. Interesting,could it be that the music is appreciated better and wind noise upsets her listening ability - so she momentarily halts proceedings for joint pleasure !!!!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: one doesn't have to talk to make conversation". Even more-so after a couple of glasses of quality red wine and in a darkened room with plenty of Mood Music.
.... You drink wine with your Z in a darkened room ?!?!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

bertiejaffa wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: one doesn't have to talk to make conversation". Even more-so after a couple of glasses of quality red wine and in a darkened room with plenty of Mood Music.
Hi bertiejaffa. Actually - no I do not,I think that there is either a misunderstanding here or some twisting of words.

That said - if I did,it would clearly be in a garage and with the lights out and the doors closed over.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:
Hi bertiejaffa. Actually - no I do not,I think that there is either a misunderstanding here or some twisting of words.

That said - if I did,it would clearly be in a garage and with the lights out and the doors closed over.
:cheers
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I think there is a law against loving a car, chap in USA got banged up for having sex with his car :)
peter2b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........was that "Piston Pete"...? :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Took swmbo for a trip up to Buxton over the moors she said turn off the radio I want to listen to the engine/exhaust, think that says it all
peter2b
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

I've had my 2001 2.2 for about a month now and thus far I am extremely impressed with it. The Z3 has enormous presence; it's one of those very rare cars that looks good from any angle - like the Ferrari 308 / 328 / 512 Boxer. The interior is pure class: simple yet functional and built like a Porsche. The thing screams quality - and that's before you crank up that sublime straight 6 and take off up the road like a scalded cat on speed. Cornering is supreme - I don't remember my 944 being so precise but then again I don't think the 944's arse end broke away ever whereas Zeberdee's has on at least two occasions on wet roundabouts but the traction control quickly kicked in and took care of that!

Bad points: typical Beamer -the steering wheel is an optional extra so mine is pretty basic but at least I have a powered lid so don't have to suffer the ignomy of having to get out and do it by hand as if it were some knackered old Triumph Spitfire. I also have the OEM fire extinguisher...not sure if that's a good sign or not! Stereo is very poor and will be upgraded asap. CD changer has at some time parted company with the car but that's no bad thing as CDs tend to jump a lot in cars with firm suspension plus on a long trip a small USB stick that stores neatly away in the ashtray is infinitely preferable to millions of CD's clutttering up the place. On other occasions the only music I need is that of the engine and exhaust note...

I have 17" rims that are a dark metallic grey / black to match the metallic black coachwork. Interior is tan which I prefer otherwise it can feel a bit gloomy and claustrophobic in the cockpit and the two-tone interiors are just way to gauche for my tastes.

Is it a keeper? At the moment. yes. Having said that, I will probably want to indulge in an M version at some stage but I suppose that amounts to the same thing...
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Bin wrote:I've had my 2001 2.2 for about a month now and thus far I am extremely impressed with it. The Z3 has enormous presence; it's one of those very rare cars that looks good from any angle - like the Ferrari 308 / 328 / 512 Boxer. The interior is pure class: simple yet functional and built like a Porsche. The thing screams quality - and that's before you crank up that sublime straight 6 and take off up the road like a scalded cat on speed. Cornering is supreme - I don't remember my 944 being so precise but then again I don't think the 944's arse end broke away ever whereas Zeberdee's has on at least two occasions on wet roundabouts but the traction control quickly kicked in and took care of that!

Bad points: typical Beamer -the steering wheel is an optional extra so mine is pretty basic but at least I have a powered lid so don't have to suffer the ignomy of having to get out and do it by hand as if it were some knackered old Triumph Spitfire. I also have the OEM fire extinguisher...not sure if that's a good sign or not! Stereo is very poor and will be upgraded asap. CD changer has at some time parted company with the car but that's no bad thing as CDs tend to jump a lot in cars with firm suspension plus on a long trip a small USB stick that stores neatly away in the ashtray is infinitely preferable to millions of CD's clutttering up the place. On other occasions the only music I need is that of the engine and exhaust note...

I have 17" rims that are a dark metallic grey / black to match the metallic black coachwork. Interior is tan which I prefer otherwise it can feel a bit gloomy and claustrophobic in the cockpit and the two-tone interiors are just way to gauche for my tastes.

Is it a keeper? At the moment. yes. Having said that, I will probably want to indulge in an M version at some stage but I suppose that amounts to the same thing...

Glad you are enjoying it - sounds like you have a good one... btw... if you do ever go the M route you will have to learn not to rely on the traction control at roundabouts
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

I never rely on any of the so-called 'driver aids' as they are far from infallible. I firmly believe the overall standard of driving decreases proportionately to these devices: people drive on the bumper of the car in front, believing that their ABS will stop them on a sixpence. Etc. Etc.

That aside, I recently went on a driving holiday up in the Lake District - something I have done before, so having the 'right car' is essential because 4 days solid driving in an Astra is a total ballache. I had never had a hankering for a Z before. Indeed, the inclusion of the prototype in Goldeneye kinda put me off BMW altogether because it wasn't British and Bond cars should be British. And then, quite by chance, I set eyes on Zeb at a local dealer, covered in frost but appealing nonetheless. On my return journey I checked the price, believing there to be some mistake! That led to me to go and have a proper gander and test drive which was enough for me. Deposit paid before some other bugger gazumped me.

There have been a few minor niggling mechanical issues with central locking, seat adjustment and ICE which were simple enough to fix, being a mechanic / engineer. I finally got under the thing a few weeks back and it's like new. No transmission or engine oil leaks save a very minor one from the feed to the cams. Never had that before! No coolant leaks. Interior is almost pristine, bar a couple of minor blemishes. The worst being the driver's seatbelt guide - a classic I'm guessing. Even in the worst weather, the hood doesn't leak a drop: absolutely no condensation inside during the cold snaps. Unbelievable.

But this is, fundamentally, a driver's car and in this is doesn't disappoint either. An absolute joy to drive and the highlight of my day is the journey to work and back. It still gives me a thrill when that door shuts with a solid clunk and the smell of leather fills my nostrils. The engine starts immediately and is super smooth.

I'm such a lucky bastard...
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Some fantastic words and comments that I am sure lots of people will agree with... They are fantastic cars when you "drive them like you stole them"..
Bin wrote:I never rely on any of the so-called 'driver aids' as they are far from infallible. I firmly believe the overall standard of driving decreases proportionately to these devices: people drive on the bumper of the car in front, believing that their ABS will stop them on a sixpence. Etc. Etc.
Totally agree, I feel like I know mine now and I know how it is planted to the road like it is on rails when I want it to be but similarly I also know just how much brake & throttle to give it to make the back end slide/bounce round tight bends in the same way as you would with a go kart. Something that is impossible in other "clever" cars.
Bin wrote:Interior is almost pristine, bar a couple of minor blemishes. The worst being the driver's seatbelt guide - a classic I'm guessing.
Yeah happens on a lot of them.. the link below in the knowledge base tells you how to fix it. I have done it myself on mine - simple enough just takes a bit of time.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=24517

If you don't fancy doing it then Southernboy has some smart little brackets that fit over the seatbelt guide to fix it. They will also prevent them breaking again in future.
Bin wrote:But this is, fundamentally, a driver's car and in this is doesn't disappoint either. An absolute joy to drive and the highlight of my day is the journey to work and back. It still gives me a thrill when that door shuts with a solid clunk and the smell of leather fills my nostrils. The engine starts immediately and is super smooth.

I'm such a lucky bastard...
:cheers
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Thanks BertieJ. I would be very surprised if anyone who has owned and / or driven a Z3 would be able to find any real fault with them: it is truly a remarkable car and I have to admit I'm hopelessly in love with mine!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Bin wrote:Thanks BertieJ. I would be very surprised if anyone who has owned and / or driven a Z3 would be able to find any real fault with them: it is truly a remarkable car and I have to admit I'm hopelessly in love with mine!
Hi Bin. The only real downside across the Z3 range was the total inability to adjust the steering wheel. Even a couple of inches of rake/reach would have been a tremendous addition to the spec of an otherwise very very desirable car.
I have also wondered why the door mirrors couldn't have been positioned approximately 40mm further forward but at the same height.
As a person of shorter stature than most I find myself having a rather awkward view and a restricted rearward view in the drivers mirror but the NS/passenger mirror is fine.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Bin wrote:Thanks BertieJ. I would be very surprised if anyone who has owned and / or driven a Z3 would be able to find any real fault with them: it is truly a remarkable car and I have to admit I'm hopelessly in love with mine!
Hi Bin. The only real downside across the Z3 range was the total inability to adjust the steering wheel. Even a couple of inches of rake/reach would have been a tremendous addition to the spec of an otherwise very very desirable car.
I have also wondered why the door mirrors couldn't have been positioned approximately 40mm further forward but at the same height.
As a person of shorter stature than most I find myself having a rather awkward view and a restricted rearward view in the drivers mirror but the NS/passenger mirror is fine.
Funny you should mention the wing mirrors, I have never had an issue with them, however the rear view mirror is another matter... now that really is in the way for me, and I have the slightly smaller M one and it still causes problems.

That said I still love it :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

bertiejaffa wrote:
Funny you should mention the wing mirrors, I have never had an issue with them, however the rear view mirror is another matter... now that really is in the way for me, and I have the slightly smaller M one and it still causes problems.

That said I still love it :lol:
Hi bertiejaffa. Now if you are one of the taller/larger breed of Z3 drivers then I can fully understand your issue and especially if it is giving you a view of the upper half of the rear screen and the back of the headlining.
I believe that if the rear screen was deeper by as little as 40mm with the top edge set higher by that same 40mm the rearward view would be a whole-lot better for all drivers.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

what made me get a z 3
2 years ago at Donington kit car showI saw a kit to convert a z3 I to a cobra and another type of kit which looked quite good ,as I had my Robin Hood 2B with over 12 years of fun I fancy another toy, I found my z3 on ebay as a cat 3 which was up for sale near me, when I sawi her she had been hit on the off side by the head light/bumper but as the kit didn't need those parts I parted with a few beer vouchers drover her up onto my trailerand took her home, when my wife saw her from behind , in a loud voice said YOUR NOT GOING TO TURN HER INTO A KIT, there ends my thoughts of a new kit car, but I have to admit I'm glad I didn't go forward with the kit idea as she has grown on me loverly smooth curves , I get the same feellIng and grin as i did in my kit car,plus my wife loves going places in her, been on loads of trips and holidays arround England and she has taken me to Le Mans 3 times we can get all our luggage in the boot for a holiday or my camping gear for Le Mans and shopping
peter2b
AdyDurn

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AdyDurn »

Several years, back when I was living on the Emerald Isle, after taking receiving a promotion and a nice new pay package I decided to take the rather expensive step of owning a car in Dublin. I'll be honest, the Z wasn't even on my radar at that point, I was actually after an S2000, pre 2003 when they had the higher revving 2.0l engine as opposed to the 2.2 they replaced it with.

Anyway, the point was I could spend 2-3 grand at the time on a Nissan Micra or spend a bit more for something I'd like to keep. When my Z popped up on my radar I toyed with the idea of a BMW for two weeks before the trip to the west coast to see it.

It clearly hadn't been driven in forever, covered in dust and needing a bump to get her started the dealer opened the door and let me and my best mate take it out. Cold November day with the roof down.

We blasted it a bit down the perfectly flat and straight road and we were both in love with her. Priced at 5k I offered 3500 and that included taking it away there and then. The dealer didn't hesitate to say yes, could have probably got another 500 off him.

Anyway, I've had her 6 nearly 7 years now, and she has been a home when I lost everything, she has been a moral support through tough times. She's never needed major work, well she wouldn't if I stopped fiddling

She's been a solid foundation for my life even when I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She makes me smile every time I look at her, every time I start her up and while she attracts idiots likes flies to a dung heap, she is able to fend most off, too.

I don't know if you're still looking for stories, but I kinda wanted to tell mine.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

I got my 2000 3.0i by default, as I intended to buy a MB SLK, which after examination, was not as good as I had been led to believe. Casting my eyes around the showroom I spotted a topaz blue Z and on further inspection I discovered its total mileage was only 35000 with barely a blemish on the bodywork or interior, I was hooked. It travelled the 300 miles to my home on a transporter I had borrowed. Once home, I discovered everything worked as it should, power hood, lights etc. No obvious elect or mech faults. Driving it the following day I found it handled badly especially on bumpy roads, it also had a lousy gear change. A change of front suspension rear bushes to firm poly bushes cured the handling problem, and a change of gearbox shift pins resulted in a slick change, neither of these mods was a big deal. I now have a nice drivers car which is a head turner, as most Zs are, and I love it to bits. I have fitted a but strut and longitudinal braces to locate the rear axle along with a front strut brace. A new clutch was fitted whilst the gearbox was out, although in reality it didn't need it. I also obtained an under tray from a 2000 which with a little surgery was made to fit, this covered the under side as far back as the X brace protecting the steering rack etc. making the tiny tray originally fitted to the 3.0i redundant. It handles very well, not as precise as my Lotus, but very acceptable, it is a tight car with no suspension knocks and has power to spare. It is also now part of the family.
Flight
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi again guys & gals. Since reluctantly parting with my low mileage Topaz Blue 2.0 Automatic Z3 in July 2016 in favour of a 3 series 325Ci Convertible Auto I have looked several times at the 2.2 versions of the Z3 Automatic.
I have also experienced the 3 series 2.2 (320i) touring automatic (passed on to Ms Rooster) and currently have Titanium Silver 330i Touring Automatic which has several M Sport features including the M Sport fully electric seats in red leather.
It is no slug when it comes to moving rapidly
I bet that the 3ltr Z3 Automatic would be nothing short of awesome.

I will keep on looking for a contender again before I lose the ability to smile again.
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

An addendum to my earlier post on how much I enjoy my 3.0i, I would like to add, that its only major fault is top gear is too low, for comfortable cruising another gear or perhaps overdrive unit would be welcome.
Flight
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Obviously we all love our Z3’s irrelevant of model and year.
I love my 3.0 Z3 as it looks good & goes like the clappers (much like my loverly wife 😜)
H
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Try lifting the bonnet . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all out there. Well since rather reluctantly parting with my low mileage 2.0 litre Automatic Z3 and buying my low mileage one family owned 325Ci Automatic that has now also gone to a chap in Wolverhampton albeit I have stayed with BMW in the form of a very very clean 2001 Series 3 330i Touring Automatic.
Having looked about for a 6 cylinder Z3 again I have been taken aback a bit by what is being asked for them and the amount of neglect that some have suffered with repeated advisories being sidestepped !! and bodywork being left with some rust showing albeit DIY spray can work.

Without appearing to be a traitor I have moved over to a 53 plate Mercedes Benz SLK 230 Automatic in Cubanite Metallic and in truth I would be hard pushed in stating my preference because both have their issues that one would not expect of premium brand manufactures products.

That said the Vario Roof System on the SLK 230 is a rather nice touch with the added advantage of a heated rear glass screen.