My First Car.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
PagPag

Z3 roadster 1.9

My First Car.

Post by PagPag »

This is my first post on the forum and would just like to introduce myself;
My name's Phil, I'm 19 years old and from South Manchester and on Monday I bought my first car. It's a 1997 1.9 BMW Z3 in Montreal Blue. I Bought her with 69,000 miles on the clock for just £2,200 with a full service history. Overall she's in great condition and the only thing I've had to change so far was the head unit to facilitate my iPhone (I'm a 19 year old boy and I therefore feel compelled to drive around with drum & bass music at an obscene volume.) :wink: Only one or two issues I've noticed so far that might need changing/fixing in the future is a slight leak in the soft top on the drivers side and also both the driver and passenger seat have a tendency to slide forwards and backwards when breaking or cornering hard. :(

The previous owner has taken the time to replace the standard wheels with a nice set of 17" alloys which I believe are off an e90 3 series.

Will try and get some more photos up as soon as possible but would love to get some feedback on the car and also some suggestions regarding modifications.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: My First Car.

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Welcome, and lucky you to have a car like that at 19!

Where do you think the leak comes in? And is it all the time (when raining, obviously) or just under certain circumstances, eg washing the car?

The sliding seats is the bushes. Have a look at: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=30402 . In fact, have a good look through the whole knowledgebase, you'll probably learn lots.
BlackBeautZ

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BlackBeautZ »

Nice car pag , i blacked mine see below
Kris
Black BeautZ

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Welcome to the forum from Staffordshire Phil. Great colour choice - but I'm biased :D

Need more pics, it's the rules...
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi and welcome
19 years old
That does make feel really old :head:
Enjoy the car
A great knowledge base here :rtm:
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

My first car was a 998cc Metro "Surf"... or something similar!

Welcome, hope you enjoy the car - I loved my 1.9 Z3 :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum. You can't be too far away from me, so I will watch (or should that be listen) out for you. :)

Not bad for a first car - I had to wait until I was 21 for mine and it wasn't a zed! (And no it wasn't a Ford Model T either).

There a few common places for leaks, for example the top of the A-pillar where the roof meets the windscreen frame. If you can describe it a bit more, we'll point you in the right direction for a fix.

If the seats only slide when cornering hard, then don't corner hard. :wink:
Seriously, my drivers seat would carry on moving after braking to a standstill and it was rather disconcerting - fixed by fitting poly seat bushes.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Great first car - as it's fun and due to the age, stuff is going to go wrong.
Luckily, most of the projects are pretty straightforward for anyone with minimal technical skills.
The supportive crowd coupled with the knowledgebase will enable it to also be your last car :squeeze:
My first car was a 1970 hillman minx arrow - so you can google to find out how prehistoric some of us are.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

BonBon wrote:My first car was a 1970 hillman minx arrow - so you can google to find out how prehistoric some of us are.
NO don't do that
You will leave, thinking its a retirement home
Ray

stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

A 1958 Austin A35 with 34hp - boy was it quick :wink:
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

stupot50 wrote:A 1958 Austin A35 with 34hp - boy was it quick :wink:
James Hunt's personal favorite!
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I believe the same engine as in the early Sprite
Ray

Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

That's correct-the good old 948cc BMC A-Series, with 34 BHP from the Zenith carb in the A35 (mine was a van, but I had to install side windows (and pay the excise duty) after I was caught exceeding 30 mph in a "commercial vehicle").

The Morris Minor 1000 with the same engine developed 37 BHP using a single SU carb, and I forget now what the Spridget developed with the twin 1 1/4"s.

Those were the days-only 6 million cars on UK roads and RAC and AA Patrolmen threw up a gauntleted salute from their patrol motorcycle and sidecar!
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

my first was a metro rio grande in lime green. 45bhp! and i polished it a lot, so you must be very very happy with a Z in such a wonderful colour! :D

seat bushes: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... es#p348571

is the leak from the roof seal at the point where the door window meets the top of the windscreen by any chance?
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

nice first car . be gentle-with it now , it driver and handles diffident compared to front wheel drive cars you have driven :!:
insurance must have hit you hard :(
a tip I used to drum into my leaner drivers in my day.......
anybody can drive fast....... its knowing when to slow down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that will save you ................

this place will keep your zed in tiptop condition and some nice mods you can do :D welcome :D
honeybee#234

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by honeybee#234 »

My first car was a Ford Pop 97E which was sold to me by a man I knew when I was first married. After both our first marriages failed, we married and have been happily driving sports cars of some type or another (Frog-eye Sprite, MGB GT etc) for the last 30 years! Incidentally, we hand-painted the Ford Pop yellow and black, as it's wings and doors were different colours, and it had a wooden floor. Yes, that makes me VERY old - but inside I'm still a speed babe, and no, I don't play Barry Manilow when I'm driving around - Justin Timberlake and Pink are my faves!
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

honeybee#234 wrote:My first car was a Ford Pop 97E which was sold to me by a man I knew when I was first married. After both our first marriages failed, we married and have been happily driving sports cars of some type or another (Frog-eye Sprite, MGB GT etc) for the last 30 years! Incidentally, we hand-painted the Ford Pop yellow and black, as it's wings and doors were different colours, and it had a wooden floor. Yes, that makes me VERY old - but inside I'm still a speed babe, and no, I don't play Barry Manilow when I'm driving around - Justin Timberlake and Pink are my faves!

Ah - my first was a 1953 Ford Prefect - the sit up and beg type. 6 volt electrics, vacuum wipers. Got it a couple of years back - in 1968 for £7 10s. It was my pride and joy and did wonders for my burgeoning social life. They seem to be very popular at classic Car rallies now and seem to be worth a lot more than what I paid for mine.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by PagPag »

I gave her a good clean yesterday so was able to take a few more photos...

Image Image Image Image

I've discovered that the leak is coming in from the top of the passenger side window where it meets the windscreen. Is this a common place for leaks and is it easily fixed?

Also another slight issue I have noticed with the car is that I can't turn it off if the headlights are on. If i just turn off the ignition and remove the key while the headlights or sidelights are still on then the engine will still keep running. This isn't really a huge issue because when I push the switch to turn the lights off then it turns off the engine also, so if anything it just makes sure I remember to turn my lights off. However it makes me curious to know if there are any other electrical issues with the car that I may be yet to discover... Has anyone heard of this problem before or can spread any light (no pun intended) on the situation?

Also thanks for the warm welcome! Glad you guys approve of my slightly quirky choice of first car and PCSAM I managed to get insured for £1,800 as the main driver with 0 ncb. Contrary to what some of you guys may believe, that is a very good quote for a young driver in a RWD roadster with a BMW badge on the front. I have a friend who paid £3,100 for his first year on a 0.8 litre Daewoo Matiz!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Whilst the engine not stopping when the lights are on might not seem like a serious problem, my concern would be that it sounds like you have an internal short somewhere and this could potentially cause a fire. Have to say it is the first time I have heard of such a problem. It could be a bad earth, as a lot of earth points are shared, and we have seen some very strange problems occur from loose battery terminal connections, so I'd check that they are tight before looking for other problems.

Edit: One thought - has the previous owner fitted additional lighting, for example in the footwells - if they have earthed these incorrectly, they could be keeping the ignition circuit live!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

PagPag wrote:I've discovered that the leak is coming in from the top of the passenger side window where it meets the windscreen. Is this a common place for leaks and is it easily fixed?
Its fairly common. There is a 'plug' of rubber which shrinks and causes a gap. Common quick fix a bit of rubber glued on. i have some inner tube and super glue waiting for me to get around to doing it.

have a look here:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36095

or search the forum, there's a few posts on it.

:drive

Rich.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Mad Max wrote:
stupot50 wrote:A 1958 Austin A35 with 34hp - boy was it quick :wink:
!
I had a 1958 A35 as my first car. I found out the body was 50% filler and the oil was 50% sawdust, but I loved it, so much that I rolled it down the side of Box Hill in Surrey with my future wife in the passenger seat. I was 18!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Welcome to the forum. My first car was an austen allegro in tan given to me by my auntie. Second was a brand new Ford XR3i when you could get free insurance for a year and then full no claims if you did not claim in the first year. It was cheaper than buying a second hand car with insurance.

The Z3 is a great first car to have. Make some memories with it this summer and enjoy a 2 seater while you can ;-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Looks clean!

I've been a Zed owner for a few weeks now and enjoying it.
ImageImageImage