My wheel refurb

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

My wheel refurb

Post by martyb »

Hey guys just thought id share a little progress update of mine.

Some of you may have seen my thread about getting some new wheels. Well i managed to get a hold of a set reasonably cheap too but they were in less than great nick.

Since I had the option of keeping them off in the meantime I thought id give them a refurb from my own hand.

So heres a couple of them before sanding.

Some of the pictures dont really highlight the blemishes fully. With my ocd, i couldnt be happy putting them on in that condition.

So heres a couple of prep photos.

Im actually raging though I forgot to take some sanded pics.

Though for those interested. I used 2 mouse sanders, one with a 120 grit sheet and the 2nd with 1200 grit, I also used the same values in small sheets to hand sand particularly hard to reach areas.

There was slight bubbling on certain parts of the wheels and they proved extremely difficult to get flush and smooth as possible most kirbing if not all infact has came away with sanding (some bits were pretty bad too).

overall this part of the process took many hours today but i was insisting on getting it as good as I could possibly achieve.

The paint products I am using are;

(all halfords)

Grey Primer
Bmw artic silver for my base coat
Clear lacquer for a nice shine.

The wheels have currently been primed leaving each wheel for half an hour then touched up if necessary before moving on to the next one.

The wheels will sit overnight in the primed state as iv been told not to rush each stage of the process because it can cause cracks in the long run.

The silver base coat will be applied tomorrow aswell as pics uploaded of the primed state and the first of two layers of silver.

Thanks guys fingers crossed this turns out ok or its off to somebody local to have their attempt at it.

:)
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: My wheel refurb

Post by Lewy »

Well done for having a go, need lots of patience! Look forward to the updates :)
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

you did remember to etch prime first :?: if not it wont key and youl be wasting time and money (Halfords rattle can primer isn,t self etching)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I imagine the 1200 grit paper will provide sufficient key for the primer ??
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Nice DIY job and saved yourself £250 + in these times of austerity. I think those style 18 wheels are the best - I'm biased :lol:

John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Del wrote:Nice DIY job and saved yourself £250 + in these times of austerity. I think those style 18 wheels are the best - I'm biased :lol:

No, no, no, no.
My wheels are much nicer.... :lol:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

Southernboy wrote:I imagine the 1200 grit paper will provide sufficient key for the primer ??
im sorry but it wont
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

paul.s wrote:
Southernboy wrote:I imagine the 1200 grit paper will provide sufficient key for the primer ??
im sorry but it wont
Can you explain the correct process Paul from prep to finish as you seem to know what your on about? Could help others out who want to refurb there own wheels.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I think they'll be fine. You must feel really proud of them. I'm more impressed with owners doing such jobs themselves and sharing it with us, than having professsionals doing everything. Anyway, wheels eventually get chipped through the varnish layer which wouldnt be stopped by any amount of priming.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Firstly a quick reply to some of the comments (thanks guys) while i upload the pics to photobucket.
John Wilson wrote:I think they'll be fine. You must feel really proud of them. I'm more impressed with owners doing such jobs themselves and sharing it with us, than having professsionals doing everything. Anyway, wheels eventually get chipped through the varnish layer which wouldnt be stopped by any amount of priming.
Thanks very much it certainly is going to have that special feel to the wheels now. Thought about it yesterday, that if id to change to a 2.8 id take them with me.
Del wrote:Nice DIY job and saved yourself £250 + in these times of austerity. I think those style 18 wheels are the best - I'm biased :lol:
Yeah i think the final product for about 45 quid of rattle cans is certainly going to be good value.
Lewy wrote:Well done for having a go, need lots of patience! Look forward to the updates :)
Thanks its certainly been a long drawn out process give a good few hours beetween coats and overnight time to harden thoroughly before next stage but i hope it will be worth it.
paul.s wrote:you did remember to etch prime first :?: if not it wont key and youl be wasting time and money (Halfords rattle can primer isn,t self etching)
The comment that had me in a panic this morning which i will explain my answer in the next reply in just a few minutes.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Paul.s Im not going to lie you had me at serious panic stations this morning with this reply double checking some instructions on how to go about it.
paul.s wrote:you did remember to etch prime first :?: if not it wont key and youl be wasting time and money (Halfords rattle can primer isn,t self etching)
My answer to this is no I have not used etch primer first, now ill explain

I believe that etch primer if im correct is to be used when the wheel is back to purely bare metal. I sanded back extremely far back and but back to bare metal on a few spots where bubbling on the old paint had affected the rim badly.

When I seen this though i ran out and picked up some etch primer and spoke to the guy in halfords he had done his along with a friend. He used it and his friend didnt use it and 'so far so good' was his words.

When i returned home i attempted to sand back of the grey primer. THIS WAS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY difficult to do. The grey primer applied after a finished smooth sand (1200 grit) had stuck very well. This may because that i didnt go back to bare metal all over but i believe to get an even stripping of paint etc an acid bath would be required.

However I re-primed that wheel and progressed as I intended. This will be one of those learn the hard way if it goes wrong paul but in this case everything seems well currently.

Here is a couple pics of primed wheels.

Applications of bmw arctic silver paint were then applied each wheel was left in my spraying area for approx 30-40 mins each before swapping up for the next one. After all 4 were done I left for 3.5 hours then started again with the first painted wheel. Iv applied 3 coats using this process.

Here is a couple pics of the painted wheels I am sure this is after 2nd coating though im afraid last coat was just finished n im ready for my bed alright.

I will be applying the first coat of clear lacquer tomorrow evening when i finish at 8 but ill be doing two coats over the next two nights. leaving each coat a night to harden.

If this process without using etch primer fails then this can if anything be an example of making sure you use the correct materials but i have to admit so far its looking really good to me and hopefully it continues that way.

Cheers guys hope you find this useful if anything. ohh and thanks for the responses. :D
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

sorry for being so negative in my other post and yes well done for having a go and so far doing a creditable job .in my job I have to undo many diy attempts that arnet as good can I offer some tips then to do wheels from scratch
rub the wheels down for primer with p180 where paint is sound p120 to remove crusty bits
allways apply a light dust coat of etch primer to any bare metal surfaces alloy or steel not sound paint
fully prime with 3-4 coats of solvent based primer allowing it to touch dry between coats de nibbing as req (can use a hair dryer to speed up if its cold)
let primer harden over nite
wet flat with p800. re prime any small areas where you may have flatted through hair dryer repeat with p800 ect
remove all masking and re mask with fresh clean masking
panel wipe thourely
apply light dust coats of base coat holding the rattle can about10-12 inches from the wheel you can use the hair dryer to good effect here slowely building up until wheels are fully coated
when the wheels are touch dry tac rag to de nib and clean any dry overspray off
then apply the clear coat 2 or 3 coats should be sufficient
again the hairdryer will be a help
leave over nite any imperfections in the clear coat can be gently removed with p1200 the next day and either re clearcoated or polished up with farecla g3
oh and finaly the boys in Halfords don't know there arses from there elbows pay no attention to any advice they give you
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

No no Paul your comment although I had me in a bit of a panic first over allowed me to check the work id done at that point. As I said sanding back the primer proved extremely difficult and I will remain hopefull that was a good sign of its coating of the wheel.
ohh and thank you very much for a good in depth guide on how you go about your work. I have done alot the same way except iv been able to leave the wheels to harden overnight between eachh stage I hope this will prove beneficial in the long run.

sNow another update. Wheels have been coated now with clear lacquer twice now left overnight between each due to lack of free time. One more coat will be applied tonight then on Saturday evening I will be going over them with the old wax and polish. Get them ready then the start of next week I'll put them on.

Anyone any idea of wheel balancing costs?
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

looking great mate :D they will look fantastic on your zed 8-)
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Hopefully Paul will confirm but don't be too hasty to put a coat of wax on the freshly painted wheels. The solvent needs a while to 'gas off' especially if done using rattle cans otherwise the wax will seal in the solvent and the finish may well go dull. I'd leave it a good few weeks (a month if you can) then take them off, give them a gentle clean to remove any dirt and brake dust, then give them a coat or two of wax.
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

you can give them a polish up with tcut or farecla g3 after a couple of days air dry laquer does dull off as it drys should be ok to wax after that
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Well done Martyb for having a go, I certainly do not have the patience for this. Be good when you can see them on the car and admire your hard work. :thumb:
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

PCSAM wrote:looking great mate :D they will look fantastic on your zed 8-)
Brian H wrote:Well done Martyb for having a go, I certainly do not have the patience for this. Be good when you can see them on the car and admire your hard work. :thumb:
thanks very much guys. i am working unfortunately over this weekend so ill not get to spend any time really on them. Its to be nice tomorrow (while im at work :( ) so while that is happening ill leave them out the back to get a bit of air about them.
OldskoolRS wrote:Hopefully Paul will confirm but don't be too hasty to put a coat of wax on the freshly painted wheels. The solvent needs a while to 'gas off' especially if done using rattle cans otherwise the wax will seal in the solvent and the finish may well go dull. I'd leave it a good few weeks (a month if you can) then take them off, give them a gentle clean to remove any dirt and brake dust, then give them a coat or two of wax.
paul.s wrote:you can give them a polish up with tcut or farecla g3 after a couple of days air dry laquer does dull off as it drys should be ok to wax after that
Thanks very much for your comment oldskoolrs I never thought about that in a time of anxiousness to get them on. Pauls thanks again for some more of your experienced knowledge on the topic. I will leave them to monday to give them a good wash and wax etc. looking forward to getting these new shoes on.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Well guys wheels are all done and on so i thought id put up the final pics.

if anyone wants to ask me questions on the process feel free.

Hope you like them, I do :D
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Well done Marty they look great. Worth all the hard work.
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

Looks fantastic and well done you. Having just been quoted a tad under £400 to refurb my wheels its certainly food for thought.

Moray
tangomachine

blank

Post by tangomachine »

Looking good Marty. One question though: how do you blend it in where the wheel meets the tyre? Is it a case of let the tyre down and push it out the way So You can get around The Back Of The lip so to Speak? Some paint has peeled on the edges of mine and I'm attempting it myself but not sure about this bit
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Well done, they look great, I bet your very pleased :) Just think of the money you have saved by doing them yourself that can now go towards something else and the people who say it can't be done have once again been proved wrong :lol:

Did you get them re-balanced afterwards and how much did it cost? I need to get mine re done again.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

martyb wrote:Anyone any idea of wheel balancing costs?
£7.50 per wheel at National Tyres, not sure if that's with or without VAT
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

A reply to the comments left guys. Thanks first of all to anyone giving them the thumbs up.
Mcjazz wrote:Looks fantastic and well done you. Having just been quoted a tad under £400 to refurb my wheels its certainly food for thought.

Moray
I would def take a stab at it if youve got the time to have the wheels off the car. A good saving and more so the personal enjoyment.
tangomachine wrote:Looking good Marty. One question though: how do you blend it in where the wheel meets the tyre? Is it a case of let the tyre down and push it out the way So You can get around The Back Of The lip so to Speak? Some paint has peeled on the edges of mine and I'm attempting it myself but not sure about this bit
No tangomachine, It take a minute or two longer but going really tight and neat with masking tape when prepping the wheels does it. I masked under and around the edge then a layer of newspaper masked underneath the edges again then repeated the paper and tape again. It provides a good bit of coverage and aslong as the masking tape is tightly put on there should be no issue when getting to sanding and painting.
g8jka wrote:Did you get them re-balanced afterwards and how much did it cost? I need to get mine re done again.
Now this is where I have a bit of good luck id say. With my old wheels I had a wobble between 60 and 70. Though since putting these on, i have taken it upto ''motorway speeds'' and they have been spot on no wobble and tracking was fine also so to be honest i think ill just leave the wheels balanced as they are.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Looks very nice well done! :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

How many litres of paint and primer will I need to do my wheels?
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

My partner had an R reg Z3 when brand new and that registration plate ended in FAN - its a Reading number plate code but most of the BMW employees car all ended in FAN so its very likely an ex BMW employees car. Apologies for the odd fact of the day :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

michiganstar wrote:BMW employees car all ended in FAN so its very likely an ex BMW employees car. Apologies for the odd fact of the day
Funnily enough somebody else said that. It originated from a BMW dealer "Altwood Maidenhead" in 1/8/1998. I didn't get it until early 2011.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

OXO wrote:How many litres of paint and primer will I need to do my wheels?
Anyone?
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

OXO wrote:
Anyone?
I'm doing this at the moment and I've got one tin of primer (500ml), one tin of paint (500ml) and one tin of laquer (500ml) per wheel + one extra of each as a contingency.

Something that I do that hasn't been mentioned is heat the wheels up using the house gas fire and halogen lamps and I heat the paint using boiled water. I've also had the tyres taken off the outside bead.
Pingu
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

pingu wrote:
OXO wrote:
Anyone?
I'm doing this at the moment and I've got one tin of primer (500ml), one tin of paint (500ml) and one tin of laquer (500ml) per wheel + one extra of each as a contingency.

Something that I do that hasn't been mentioned is heat the wheels up using the house gas fire and halogen lamps and I heat the paint using boiled water. I've also had the tyres taken off the outside bead.
That's helpful, thanks although it seems like a lot of paint. How far have you got?

I'm planning to use this aluminium filler http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261374825738

This etch primer, although I suspect that regular primer will be ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331106950314? ... 1423.l2649

And this paint. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231068770503

Anybody see problems with that ( I'm a spray painting novice) ?
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Hi guys into response to the how many of each product required, this is what i used.

2 grey primer
3 bmw artic silver
2 Clear Coat

All were used except about half of each of the last cans.

So got some left for a touch up if you let the women drive them! :o
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

500 cc rattle cans?
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

OXO wrote:500 cc rattle cans?
Off the top of my head im sure they were.
michiganstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by michiganstar »

Top work Marty they look great.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

michiganstar wrote:Top work Marty they look great.
Thanks! :D