Jammed CD cartridge........again!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Jammed CD cartridge........again!

Post by TWO »

I'm afraid the same old problem of the jammed CD cartridge in the BMW Buisness Changer Unit. :head:

I have tried the usual trick of sliding an old credit card along the underside of the cartridge, but on this occassion there is no response :(

I notice that the eject button also fails to illuminate now.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jammed CD cartridge........again!

Post by Brian H »

Have you checked the fuse to the unit? Fuse 9 20a I think. Maybe somewhere to start?
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TWO »

Brian H wrote:Have you checked the fuse to the unit? Fuse 9 20a I think. Maybe somewhere to start?
Hi Brian

I will do.......but I thought this was the same fuse for the radio........which all works fine :-?

How easy is it to remove the CD Buisness Changer Unit from its mountings? I just want to check if there is a loose connection on the rear.

Cheers
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

TWO wrote:
Brian H wrote:Have you checked the fuse to the unit? Fuse 9 20a I think. Maybe somewhere to start?
Hi Brian

I will do.......but I thought this was the same fuse for the radio........which all works fine :-?

How easy is it to remove the CD Buisness Changer Unit from its mountings? I just want to check if there is a loose connection on the rear.

Cheers
You are right, it is the same fuse as the radio, to remove the unit it looks like you remove the carpet in the boot to release the CD cradle. There are three screws holding the cradle (1 in the picture). With these removed you will be able to get to the back of the unit.

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

If you can get the unit out of the car, disconnect the lead and the remove the screw that holds the lid on. Carefully prise the lid off and you will probably see the CD's haven't gone back into their slots. If you carefully push the CD's into their slots and then plug it back into the power again the cartridge should eject.

I have just done this on my 5 series for the umpteenth time. I think I will convert that to an i Pod.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

done this 3 times( jammed cd) got fed up dismantling it so fitted a kenwood with bluetooth and connection for my ipod much nicer than original but only drawback is one cd but on the plus side the bluetooth has been a revelation and dragged the car into the next century :lol:
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Inspired by this thread, I decided to tackle my Type A CD changer unit, which "died" some weeks ago, with "No Disc" displayed on the head unit. The green eject button didn't light up and the cartridge couldn't be ejected from the unit.

Having peeled back the boot carpet, I removed the three 10mm bolts holding the cradle to the body, disconnected the cables at the rear and took the unit inside for a closer look.

Four screws held the cradle to the unit, and a further nine tiny screws held the cover on the unit. Lifting off the cover, I could see from the back that there was NO jammed CD, and all 6 were stored correctly within the cartridge.

Immediately behind the cartridge were several spring-loaded parts, which were obviously part of the ejection system, so I pressed the most obvious of these and BINGO-the cartridge ejected from the front, without any electrical assistance!

TIP:-On re-fitting the unit in the car, I noticed that the holes for two most difficult-to-reach bolts at the LHS and rear of the cradle are in fact slotted, and so it isn't necessary to remove those two 10mm bolts-only the one at the front. Slacken-off these two bolts, pull the cradle/unit forwards slightly to disengage the rear RHS bolt, rotate the whole assembly slightly clockwise and disengage from the LHS bolt.

On inserting the loaded cartridge into the unit, everything worked perfectly again, with the eject button lighting up and the cartridge ejecting upon demand................until the next time, perhaps.............

Fingers crossed!

Beemer Man.
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

Beemer Man wrote:Inspired by this thread, I decided to tackle my Type A CD changer unit, which "died" some weeks ago, with "No Disc" displayed on the head unit. The green eject button didn't light up and the cartridge couldn't be ejected from the unit.

Having peeled back the boot carpet, I removed the three 10mm bolts holding the cradle to the body, disconnected the cables at the rear and took the unit inside for a closer look.

Four screws held the cradle to the unit, and a further nine tiny screws held the cover on the unit. Lifting off the cover, I could see from the back that there was NO jammed CD, and all 6 were stored correctly within the cartridge.

Immediately behind the cartridge were several spring-loaded parts, which were obviously part of the ejection system, so I pressed the most obvious of these and BINGO-the cartridge ejected from the front, without any electrical assistance!

TIP:-On re-fitting the unit in the car, I noticed that the holes for two most difficult-to-reach bolts at the LHS and rear of the cradle are in fact slotted, and so it isn't necessary to remove those two 10mm bolts-only the one at the front. Slacken-off these two bolts, pull the cradle/unit forwards slightly to disengage the rear RHS bolt, rotate the whole assembly slightly clockwise and disengage from the LHS bolt.

On inserting the loaded cartridge into the unit, everything worked perfectly again, with the eject button lighting up and the cartridge ejecting upon demand................until the next time, perhaps.............

Fingers crossed!

Beemer Man.

sorry to say mate it'll happen again some time! :cry:
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

I'm sure it will happen again-particularly when there was no obvious reason for the malfunction, such as a jammed CD-but at least I'll be able to remove the unit quicker next time!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I removed my CD changer to gain a little more space for luggage on weekend trips. Replaced the original headunit for one with Aux In and USB input on the fascia, 21st Century :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Good point, Gazza, given that the restriction on usable boot space is greater than the physical size of the unit. I must give further thought to moving into the 21st Century................!

Beemer Man.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Gazza wrote:I removed my CD changer to gain a little more space for luggage on weekend trips. Replaced the original headunit for one with Aux In and USB input on the fascia, 21st Century
I did the same, replaced my HU (with broken cassette unit) and CD unit in the boot that jumped on bumps - dragged myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century & combined with a hands-free Bluetooth mechanism in the HU as well :D
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

My headunit has Bluetooth, imports all my contacts from the phone, forgot to mention that :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

Gazza wrote:My headunit has Bluetooth, imports all my contacts from the phone, forgot to mention that :D
:D mines the same awsome bit of kit brings it into the modern era :lol: