Sorry everyone, but I'm off to pastures new

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Sorry everyone, but I'm off to pastures new

Post by John1950 »

Well, I joined the Forum a couple of years ago and I hope I've played my part properly. Certainly I've learned so much and had a great time chatting and meeting some of the members.
But, Janet my partner who is a Deputy Head in Portsmouth went for a job interview in London a couple of weeks ago - she was successful so by July(ish) we must be away for our new life in Amsterdam.

I had thought about taking my Zed with me but then thought about selling it here and getting a LHD over there. We've now come down to thinking of getting a small motor caravan (Mazda Bongo/Ford Friendee or similar) for our summer camping trips which used to be done with the Zed. Currently we run three cars and over there we hope to whittle it down to just the one, but I'm going to miss my 2.8 it knocked years off me.

I put the Zed on E-Bay yesterday: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221235003423? ... 1555.l2649 and I really hope it gets back the money I've spent on it, we are going to need the cash.

So, I'll likely become less active here, but I think I'll keep my membership going, I always liked the banter - and it may keep me open eyed for a second Zed once we've settled in? :bawl:

Can someone let me know what they think of my E-Bay presentation.

'I'll be back'....
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Re: Sorry everyone, but I'm off to pastures new

Post by Badman gee »

Good luck John, I've enjoyed taking the rise out of you and your posts!

You will be missed!

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Ps your eBay presentation is crap :twisted:

The 'BEAST' 666
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hope you will stick around John as I need someone to correct my spolling :D

Good luck with the sale and hope it will be adventures new for you.

Ad to me looks fine, just one observation, is it me or does the Zed seem to be sitting really high at the rear? :|

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

TitanTim wrote:Hope you will stick around John as I need someone to correct my spolling :D

Ad to me looks fine, just one observation, is it me or does the Zed seem to be sitting really high at the rear? :|

Tim.

Ah - you spotted that too.
I think it's only because it's half on the front lawn and half on the drive. I never looked into lowering it because Janet and I tended to pack it up with stuff when we went on hols.. It looks about right in my sig. photograph.

PS. Note the use of two full stops after 'hols..' This is to indicate both an abbreviation (one full stop) and the end of a sentence (the second). :nerd: :nerd:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

John1950 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Hope you will stick around John as I need someone to correct my spolling :D

Tim.

Ah - you spotted that too.
I think it's only because it's half on the front lawn and half on the drive. I never looked into lowering it because Janet and I tended to pack it up with stuff when we went on hols.. It looks about right in my sig. photograph.

PS. Note the use of two full stops after 'hols..' This is to indicate both an abbreviation (one full stop) and the end of a sentence (the second). :nerd: :nerd:
:D

Tom.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Wishing you and the missus all the best in Amsterdam :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Gazza wrote:Wishing you and the missus all the best in Amsterdam :wink:

Thanks Gazza - no doubt I'll post some feedback both on life out there and the Zed scene.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Orinoco »

All the best for your new adventure John.

Regards
Ornoco
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

It looks a very nice car - good luck with the sale.

The only comment I'd make on the advert (if you don't mind me saying) is that there is no photo of the interior.

Regards

Peter
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

1st of all - congratulations to your wife on her new job and good luck in your new venture, sorry but having just read my post it's a bit long but hey ho....

If I were selling Zippy I would try and get some good eye-catching photos (trying to be different from the "usual ones", front, back side, bonnet up, boot up, door open) as these and the description are all you have until someone comes to view and as Peter has already pointed out - there are no internal photos.

You mention the European camping tour, do you not have any stunning photos of your zed abroad with some different backdrops? Also, with this in mind I would show how much you can get in these little cars and point out all the storage they really have with all the cubbies, rear of the seat storage and maybe a picture of all the bags you can get in the boot. That might sound like a bit of a faff and effort but I think it would be worth it, some keen chap might have to convince his other half that she can get all her holiday stuff in the car and it still amazes me now how much we can get in Zippy's boot when we do our Europe trips.

Now for your advert, and these comments are just mine - others may disagree and I'm not saying what you have said is wrong or bad but they are words to sell a car.

I would take out the reference to the 140mph - it's a 2.8 ltr engine - it will obviously shift if you want it to - I read your advert that you have a heavy right foot and it has been driven hard, you have also said it is very nippy, again I think you floor it every time you drive it.

You mention pristine condition wheels - the only photo you have of the wheels has curbing all the way around so I wonder what the others are like? photos of all 4 maybe ?

You mention the new CD player with the original available - I'd like the back piece of boot carpet back in there please.

You show the tonneau cover - I would put it on the car for at least 1 photo - I think it makes the lines look so much better.

The colour is lovely, the bodywork looks in great shape, the cleaned engine bay looks great and overall, a lovely shiny example of a Z3.

p.s. after you have looked back at your holiday photos and think about all the smiles he has given you both you'll probably wonder why he's up for sale in the 1st place :D

Good luck with the sale though, but only if you're sure, I cannot bring myself to think about someone else driving Zippy away......... :shock:
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:
Tom.

Subtle,..... looks like it was missed..
Very clever..... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Will be sad to see you go, John, will be like leaving school all over again for us! :( Who will run the old farts club now? :cry:
Good luck with the sale of the Zed, exciting for you to be changing tack and starting completely anew. :wave
Keep in touch, you never know you might be starting up a Clog cruising contingent :drive :thumb:
Mike & Sandy
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Best of luck in Amsterdam, John - don't be a stranger.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

John, I've just seen your thread saying you're leaving us, just after I posted a suggestion for a West Sussex meet up :(
I hope something can be arranged soon before your Z moves on. You say where and hopefully we can agree a date and get it together Quicksmart.

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi John...hope it's a good move and wish you and your BH a successful future in Holland. Hope to hear from you with some pics etc.
Barry
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:Will be sad to see you go, John, will be like leaving school all over again for us! :( Who will run the old farts club now? :cry:
Good luck with the sale of the Zed, exciting for you to be changing tack and starting completely anew. :wave
Keep in touch, you never know you might be starting up a Clog cruising contingent :drive :thumb:
Mike & Sandy

Now there's a thought! :lol: :lol:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Bonzo wrote:John, I've just seen your thread saying you're leaving us, just after I posted a suggestion for a West Sussex meet up :(
I hope something can be arranged soon before your Z moves on. You say where and hopefully we can agree a date and get it together Quicksmart.

Bonzo.

Well, as we don't have to leave until about the end of July I'm sure I can still make that meeting.....
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Southernboy wrote:Hi John...hope it's a good move and wish you and your BH a successful future in Holland. Hope to hear from you with some pics etc.
Barry

Well, me being out of work here and the pair of us having become thoroughly fed up with the way Britain has turned out we decided there were more opportunities abroad even if it is a little late in life for me. Still, I've done it before and lived on Tenerife for ten years. A bit of adventure tends to knock the years off don't you think?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Good luck, John, and enjoy Hamsterjam. The Dutch are lovely people, so I hope they make you feel welcome. You are probably right to try and pick a LHD zed when you get there, and you will already be on the continent then to go for some longer trips.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

A new adventure does that...there are new places, discoveries etc etc...you're going to love it!...stay in touch. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Think of all those titty bars you can visit John!

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..wind your neck in Bad man!!! You really need to see a remedial therapist! :D
"Normal is overrated"

John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Badman gee wrote:Think of all those titty bars you can visit John!

No doubt I'll keep abreast of the local cultural developments
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Badman gee wrote:Think of all those titty bars you can visit John!
And the Cannabis Cafes. :wink:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

snoops wrote:1st of all - congratulations to your wife on her new job and good luck in your new venture, sorry but having just read my post it's a bit long but hey ho....

If I were selling Zippy I would try and get some good eye-catching photos (trying to be different from the "usual ones", front, back side, bonnet up, boot up, door open) as these and the description are all you have until someone comes to view and as Peter has already pointed out - there are no internal photos.

You mention the European camping tour, do you not have any stunning photos of your zed abroad with some different backdrops? Also, with this in mind I would show how much you can get in these little cars and point out all the storage they really have with all the cubbies, rear of the seat storage and maybe a picture of all the bags you can get in the boot. That might sound like a bit of a faff and effort but I think it would be worth it, some keen chap might have to convince his other half that she can get all her holiday stuff in the car and it still amazes me now how much we can get in Zippy's boot when we do our Europe trips.

Now for your advert, and these comments are just mine - others may disagree and I'm not saying what you have said is wrong or bad but they are words to sell a car.

I would take out the reference to the 140mph - it's a 2.8 ltr engine - it will obviously shift if you want it to - I read your advert that you have a heavy right foot and it has been driven hard, you have also said it is very nippy, again I think you floor it every time you drive it.

You mention pristine condition wheels - the only photo you have of the wheels has curbing all the way around so I wonder what the others are like? photos of all 4 maybe ?

You mention the new CD player with the original available - I'd like the back piece of boot carpet back in there please.

You show the tonneau cover - I would put it on the car for at least 1 photo - I think it makes the lines look so much better.

The colour is lovely, the bodywork looks in great shape, the cleaned engine bay looks great and overall, a lovely shiny example of a Z3.

p.s. after you have looked back at your holiday photos and think about all the smiles he has given you both you'll probably wonder why he's up for sale in the 1st place :D

Good luck with the sale though, but only if you're sure, I cannot bring myself to think about someone else driving Zippy away......... :shock:

Hi Snoops

Well I took your advice to heart and went back to my E-Bay listing.
Regarding photos, E-Bay allow only 12 these days - you used to be able to add as many as you liked, as long as you paid for them. It meant that I couldn't add pictures of all four wheels or more of the interior though I did delete a couple of photos so I could then add one showing the tonneau in place and Janet doing some of the packing for our Croatia trip last summer.

I've had a couple of hundred 'views' so far and 13 are 'watching' but as expected, no bidding just yet. I've got my fingers crossed that it all starts to boil next Saturday when the auction ends.

My legs are crossed - along with fingers.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Good luck John :)

The 'BEAST' 666
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

You can add more pictures to the body of the advert or a link to picture hosting site. A picture of any paperwork always works well in an advert.

Good luck with the sale.
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

freds dad wrote:You can add more pictures to the body of the advert or a link to picture hosting site. A picture of any paperwork always works well in an advert.

Good luck with the sale.

Ah - hadn't thought of that. Must look into it tomorrow.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

freds dad wrote:You can add more pictures to the body of the advert or a link to picture hosting site. A picture of any paperwork always works well in an advert.

Good luck with the sale.

John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Just had a quick look at the new pics, John, curious to see the packing pic. How did you manage to get all that in, are you sure you didn't use a roof rack! :lol: the pile looks bigger than the Zed!! Did your Wife get in first and you piled it all in on top of her or did she sit on top of it, so that her head was above the windscreen, like Ed China! :D Can you please leave step by step instructions, :rtm: so that we can follow your example. :wink:
Mike & Sandy

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Wishing you and your BH all the best.
ImageImage
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Good luck on your new adventure John, settle in, buy a Z and arrange a cruise for us to come and see you :)
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:Just had a quick look at the new pics, John, curious to see the packing pic. How did you manage to get all that in, are you sure you didn't use a roof rack! :lol: the pile looks bigger than the Zed!! Did your Wife get in first and you piled it all in on top of her or did she sit on top of it, so that her head was above the windscreen, like Ed China! :D Can you please leave step by step instructions, :rtm: so that we can follow your example. :wink:
Mike & Sandy

Well, we actually got somewhat more than that in. Not showing is all the towels, pillows, sheets. These all went behind the seats. We motored them forward, folded everything flattish and then put the pillows down lengthways and motored the seats back until we had the right amount of legroom. Our two canvas bags clothing for three weeks went there too.

In the passenger footwell we had one of those 240/12v cooler boxes though it left enough room for Janet's legs to one side. It was there more for use in the tent once set up. Talking of tents, we have a four man unit for the two of us - this allows a double sized inflatable bed to go in leaving room for all our clothing. There were two collapsible chairs a dining table, two burner cooking unit, ground covers(2) a box with all our cutlery, a special bag with all our plates and bowls etc, chopping boards, washing lines pegs, books (though now we've bought a pair of Kindles), parasol boxes of tissues, wet wipes etc etc. It all goes in and fits very nicely. Mind you, I don't get involved. that's 'madams' department.

Even with all that lot last year we did 3500 miles in total right through Europe and down into Croatia. At the end the trip computer showed 34 mpg. It had been 36 for most of the time, but I bombed it back for the last couple of days.

And of course, we had all that sun on our heads, a great feeling of freedom and the car started quite few conversations. I'll really miss my little Zed.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:Just had a quick look at the new pics, John, curious to see the packing pic. How did you manage to get all that in, are you sure you didn't use a roof rack! :lol: the pile looks bigger than the Zed!! Did your Wife get in first and you piled it all in on top of her or did she sit on top of it, so that her head was above the windscreen, like Ed China! :D Can you please leave step by step instructions, :rtm: so that we can follow your example. :wink:
Mike & Sandy

Well, we actually got somewhat more than that in. Not showing is all the towels, pillows, sheets. These all went behind the seats. We motored them forward, folded everything flattish and then put the pillows down lengthways and motored the seats back until we had the right amount of legroom. Our two canvas bags clothing for three weeks went there too.

In the passenger footwell we had one of those 240/12v cooler boxes though it left enough room for Janet's legs to one side. It was there more for use in the tent once set up. Talking of tents, we have a four man unit for the two of us - this allows a double sized inflatable bed to go in leaving room for all our clothing. There were two collapsible chairs a dining table, two burner cooking unit, ground covers(2) a box with all our cutlery, a special bag with all our plates and bowls etc, chopping boards, washing lines pegs, books (though now we've bought a pair of Kindles), parasol boxes of tissues, wet wipes etc etc. It all goes in and fits very nicely. Mind you, I don't get involved. that's 'madams' department.

Even with all that lot last year we did 3500 miles in total right through Europe and down into Croatia. At the end the trip computer showed 34 mpg. It had been 36 for most of the time, but I bombed it back for the last couple of days.

And of course, we had all that sun on our heads, a great feeling of freedom and the car started quite few conversations. I'll really miss my little Zed.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

The advert reads great John and you have loads of pictures now. Have to say you've amazed me even more with your holiday packing, I will take that as a challenge for our Europe trip later this year.

I think there will be a bidding mini war on deadline day your zed looks a fine example sir :D
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

John1950 wrote:

Good luck with the sale.

Done it!
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Good Luck John
Enjoy life, its to short
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

John1950 wrote:
Mike & Sandy

Wow! John, that's incredible, I can just imagine the process in fast forward mode. 8-) Was it a four seater or six seater dining table? :wink:

M & S
Last edited by EnthuZiaZT on Wed 05 Jun, 2013 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Hasn't he gone yet?

Or are you dragging this thread out like your how old are you one!

:lol:

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Regarding filling the car for holidays, it's always the women who over pack!

The 'BEAST' 666
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Badman gee wrote:Regarding filling the car for holidays, it's always the women who over pack!
Perhaps Michelle could take a few packing tips from John's Wife, Mark. You had to take the Rover 75 to Heacham because of excess baggage. (Mark) :devil:

M & S

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:
Badman gee wrote:Regarding filling the car for holidays, it's always the women who over pack!
Perhaps Michelle could take a few packing tips from John's Wife, Mark. You had to take the Rover 75 to Heacham because of excess baggage. (Mark) :devil:

M & S
Yes I did!

But I fitted in well.

The car suited the clientele!

The 'BEAST' 666
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:
John1950 wrote:
Mike & Sandy

Wow! John, that's incredible, I can just imagine the process in fast forward mode. 8-) Was it a four seater or six seater dining table? :wink:

M & S

Oh, we decided not to take the Baronial table and felt a mere four seater would be ample if schlepping with my public. :lol:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Badman gee wrote:
EnthuZiaZT wrote:

M & S
Yes I did!

But I fitted in well.

The car suited the clientele!

Rover 75 types eh? I can picture them: Trilby hats, clipped moustache, half finger gloves, Gannex mac, brogues, thermos flask between the legs, 30 mph all the way and a non-stop whinge about other drivers. Probably spend their whole lives as Public Sector Workers, rule driven, ossified and schlerotic, yes, I know the type..... :lol:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Badman gee wrote:Hasn't he gone yet?

Or are you dragging this thread out like your how old are you one!

:lol:

I'm like an elephant, slow to move on.
That old fart thread of mine must have wounded you; it dragged on and on and on and..............but look at the memories it dragged up for our doddery 'senior' members. :roll:

But I'll be becoming 'foreign' at about the end of July so I'll be here to keep standards up for a wee while yet the noo.
Anyway, I imagine I'll be staying on a a valued member (well, I like to think of my member as valued) as foreign correspondent. 8-)
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

That's me John apart from the 30mph!

Good luck for the future sir :)

The 'BEAST' 666
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

How many "watchers" have you got now John, I have purposefully not watched so as not to affect your figures...
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

snoops wrote:How many "watchers" have you got now John, I have purposefully not watched so as not to affect your figures...
Let me go and look......
431 'views' and 27 'Watching' - but no bids yet.
I really hope this means some healthy last minute action - I've got my eye on this to help with our move over to Holland:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151057870453? ... 1438.l2649

At the moment Janet and I have three cars between us: the Zed, my day to day 'Heap' which I use to cart the dogs around and go to the tip etc etc. and her Citroen C5. We would like to get a camper van and sell all three of our cars. Janet has found that public transport to work is very good over there so we hope the one vehicle would be fine - and be good for our camping hols. So got my fingers crossed. I really would like it all to work out.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

John1950 wrote: 30 mph all the way, yes, I know the type..... :lol:
30 MPH! He doesn't go that fast!!! :lol: