Z3 3.0i Intake Backfire Disaster Help Needed!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
WanganZee3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 3.0i Intake Backfire Disaster Help Needed!

Post by WanganZee3 »

BladeRunner919 wrote: It won't give an error code - it's a sudden mechanical failure. But do bear in mind that the reason you haven't heard of this problem is that it is very uncommon, so I wouldn't panic unnecessarily.
Indeed, I don't want to add to everyone's level of anxiety about this fault. It is a rare occurrence with no warning noises or other obvious symptoms. However, having had the experience of a perfectly good engine being trashed by this part, I know what I will be switching out on the low mileage replacement engine before it goes in.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Robert T wrote:
wonderloaf wrote:I gave them from RealOEM and BMWfans (13541705209) should be correct (checked with my VIN), but is different to the code from the actual part (13541435625). The part in my car apparently is for a E39 5 series! :head:
13541705209 is a rubber boot and fits E46 3-series and E36 Z3 (2.0, 2.2, 2.2i, 2.5, 2.5i and 2.8)) - see bmwfans here
13541435625 is a rubber boot and fits E39 5-series, E38 7-series AND E36 Z3 (2.0, 2.5 and 2.8) - see bmwfans here

They are listed as alternative parts on bmwfans here, but if I put in a 2.2i, I only see the 209 part. No dates are given, so I can't easily tell which one is supposed to fit exactly which cars, or whether they are interchangable.

I never advise ordering parts from BMW by part number alone - it is better to get them to check the part number for you and then if they order the wrong part it is THEIR fault and not yours. My local dealer is very helpful in this respect - I take a printout of a bmwfans page in and he then goes and finds it on their system and orders it - and he puts my VIN in so that he gets the right details.

Cheers R.
Hi Robert, thanks for taking the time to look this up, this backs up what I've found out. This is my fault really as I did rely on realOEM and bmwfans to get the part number, and from the illustrations the part looked correct. Normally I would take the part number from the actual part but was having such a pig of a job removing it decided to take the risk and order without looking at the actual part.

I'll talk nicely to the local BMW garage and hopefully they'll swap it out for the correct part, luckily the old one is still serviceable so I can use that in the meantime.

Hopefully if there are any other 2.2i owners out there looking at changing this part it saved them from falling into the same trap!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Before you dissemble your old unit make sure you have the correct replacement !! I took my DISA valve out again tonight to refurb it but noticed the flap in the replacement pack was much larger so back in goes the original.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Well, I made the 260 miles round trip and what a trip it was. 8-) Beautiful morning on Saturday, left home before 7am and arrived in deepest Yeovil less than 2 hours later. My mate did the deal on his VX220 Turbo and we then drove in convoy (with a brief 10 mile swap over) across to Southampton to visit another mate for beers and BBQ. The Z3 never missed a beat and due to the long steady run (with occasional revvy blasts :wink: ) I got over 30mpg according the OBC. I'm a bit busy this week due to some building work we're having done, but I plan to get a kit for mine just for piece of mind. I'll just wait for the next decent weekend so I can fit it. I'm going to replace the front wishbones as well prior to some new tyres, so I can have it all tracked, so by the end of the month it should all be spot on. 8-)

My mate took this picture on his phone when we stopped somewhere in Dorset to have a bacon sandwich (which was fantastic, possibly due to our early start making us very hungry by this time). I had a brief drive of his VX220 Turbo which is a totally different drive to a Z3, though the turbo boost at 3000rpm is very addictive. In an ideal world I'd have one of each, but I'm rather attached to my Z3 of course.

andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

Have rebuilt my DISA valve this morning. The kit from i6 is good quality and the job is easy, bit fiddly in places.
My cars only done 47k and the valve showed little sign of wear on the moving parts, however I was VERY surprised at how easily the offending pin came out. Can see why this issue happens.
I'd urge people to install the kit, its a much better design and gives peace of mind.
All in all just under 45 mins work.
Cheers
Andy
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
WanganZee3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by WanganZee3 »

I'm pleased to see that some, or possibly many of you judging from the views on this post, have taken my
advice and switched out or refurbished your DISAs.

I'm afraid the engine replacement is happening very slowly so I don't have much of an update.
I would like any tips or advice however.

As the engine will be removed and another one put in ( a used but low mileage one ), I'm wondering if
there is anything else I should attend to at the same time. Some jobs are just much easier when the engine
is out. I'm not looking at radical mods or upgrades, just trouble spots or parts that could be renewed at the
same time.

The sump on the replacement engine will be switched with my old one as the replacement engines sump is
a little damaged. Of course the gasket will be replaced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a keeper for me so in spite of the discouraging set back
I would like to get her in top shape for hopefully many more miles and years of trouble free motoring.

Oz.
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

I know that you said in earlier post that the inlet valves look ok, but I am surprised that there is any damage to the rings / pistons, they see a lot harder life than a backfire. The only way I could see any daamge woudl be if the bits from the DISA had got down the side of the piston and either scored the bore or damaged the rings that way. Regarding the valves it would not take much damage to the valve seat or even a slight bend of the valve head on the stem to stop it from giving a perfect seal and hence the low compression. Is the head removed now? A check over of the head and new valves on the offending cylinder could be a lot cheaper than a new engine.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

hi, i would recommend changing the ccv valve as it is buried under the inlet manifold, along with the joining plastic breather pipes as they can come brittle causing n air leak or increased oil comsumption.
WanganZee3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by WanganZee3 »

I hear ya Zed Free. I have decided to go with the low mileage used engine and keep the other one for a rainy day. When I have the time and money I will rebuild the old one and either keep it for the future or possibly look for another car to restore. I got a good deal on a used engine here. I suspect you're right about the pistons but there's no way of knowing without paying to get it dismantled first. I'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment so this seemed like the safest route with the least nasty surprises. The compressions are low on three cylinders which suggests pretty serious damage to me. I'm pretty confident I can do the rebuild myself back in Australia with a bit of help from some friends in the know. Engines are nearly double the price there so I figure I'll do ok out of it in the long run. I will be transporting the car and household goods back to Australia in the future so it won't be a big deal to poke the old engine in the container as well hopefully.
WanganZee3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by WanganZee3 »

pedro20001 wrote:hi, i would recommend changing the ccv valve as it is buried under the inlet manifold, along with the joining plastic breather pipes as they can come brittle causing n air leak or increased oil comsumption.

Thanks, great suggestion. Will do that for sure!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

From what I found on the internet, it appears that this problem is confined to the M54 engine. Just in case, I removed my DISA valve, which looked like new even after 125,000 miles. The pivot pin was secure, and in any case, it lives in an enclosed area within the manifold. Perhaps the 3 litre manifold lacks this?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
WanganZee3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by WanganZee3 »

I found this link today.

http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_solu ... ir_kit.php

This has a good description of the DISA valve issue and seems like a quality kit. Anyone have any experience with this maker?
I'm thinking of buying one of these kits to put on my DISA before the replacement engine goes in.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

WanganZee3 wrote:I found this link today.

This has a good description of the DISA valve issue and seems like a quality kit. Anyone have any experience with this maker?
I'm thinking of buying one of these kits to put on my DISA before the replacement engine goes in.
Looks very similar if not identical to the ones I posted earlier in this thread.

DISA Valve rebuild kit

I have fitted this and it seems to be good quality, an easy fit too ;)
WanganZee3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by WanganZee3 »

Brian H wrote:
WanganZee3 wrote:I found this link today.

Looks very similar if not identical to the ones I posted earlier in this thread.

DISA Valve rebuild kit

I have fitted this and it seems to be good quality, an easy fit too ;)
Oops, so you did Brian. Thought it looked familiar. :head: