Cobra Exhaust :(

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
saddle bags

Z3 roadster 1.9

Cobra Exhaust :(

Post by saddle bags »

Well I splashed out and bought a Cobra stainless steel exhaust, single outlet (1.9 M44) hmmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty

Waited patiently, hovering round the door eagerly awaiting my new toy.

Finally arrived today and me being me I didn't event take my tea, straight out into the garage and fitted the nice shinny thing.

Off the ramps and up the road, well bugg*r me if it didnt sound like the loudest exhaust, that had just won the world championship of loud exhausts.

Talk about being disappointed :cry: .

Given the standard exhaust was noisy as I had removed the baffles from back box, I couldn't believe my ears, couldn't feel my ears :(

So my question is, has anyone else had any issues with the noise of the Cobra exhaust?????????
Be Careful What You Ask For - You might just get it :)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Cobra Exhaust :(

Post by TitanTim »

To be honest I think your always better off going to a custom exhaust place, you can tell them then exactly the loudness your after etc, problem with alot of these off the peg aftermarket exhausts is what you have found out. I'm not keen on loud exhaust although I love the exhaust note on the Z4 but settles down nicely when cruising,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

I have to admit my inner chav comes out when it comes to exhaust note :lol:

Have you got a video of the sound? I'd love to hear it!

Exhaust note is such a personal thing and depends what you want from your car, if it's not a daily driver then imho it's cool to be a little on the growling side! :lol:

If you ever get bored do a quick you tube search for 'lewy 645 straight pipes' :lol:
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Fitted the Cobra standard cat back ( not full) - I think it's the BM17 - on our M44 1.9 earlier this year. We think it's great but at our age maybe the hearing deterioration is dumming it down. The tone will change as it carbon layers.
Rich P fitted the same to his M44 about the sametime and thought it too loud so he removed it.
Down to personal preference I'd advise you give it a bit of time to get used to it - it either grows on you or deafness takes over 8-)
Last edited by Jonco on Fri 28 Jun, 2013 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I sometimes think they sound noisier because you are sat in a 2-seater, soft-top car where the tip of the exhaust is closer to your ears. Also, apart from a thin bit of carpet behind the seats and in the boot, there isn’t much in the way of sound insulation. Probably in a 4-seater, hard-top saloon it wouldn’t be as bad. On the Youtube video of the Cobra exhaust, it doesn’t sound too noisy.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Lewy what you like :roflmao:

I had a stainless steel back box fitted, and it WAS alarmingly loud, touching on a bit embarrassing at first. It's because it so new, stainless steel and a thin material, doubled with the fact you basically sit on the tip. I must say though it has calmed down a fair bit, and has a deeper rasp compared to its original boomy scream! Thankfully!!

Never noticed improved performance mind, but around town I guess you don't?

My unqualified advise would be to bare with it, get some miles in it, which will build the carbon layers and muffle it somewhat.... Failing that you can always remove it for a mild steel jobby! :shrug
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

Hi all
I got a SS Cobra from someone on here who also thought it too loud.......

All I can say is I love it and my GF who is not a car person at all has actually said ' I love the sound that car makes' so now have to wrestle keys off her in morning.

You do get used to it, it is sometimes a bit boomy when roofs up , but secret is to keep roof down lol

Personally I love putting my foot down and watching people look lol after all why have a zed if you dont want people to look lol.

Mine sounds like its doing 300 mph when its doing 30 lol.

I would definetly recommend it, its an acquired taste, but coupled with a K and N filter the throttle response defintetly seems crisper.

Craig
saddle bags

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by saddle bags »

It's not that I don't like loud exhausts, rode bikes for years with loud open pipes :twisted: but this is just to loud to bear.

Think I have sussed out why it's sooooooooooooooooooo loud, I have no cat fitted so there's no silencing effect before the exhaust.

Exhaust is off, have asked the motor factors to try and get Cobra to take it back. If that doesn't work I'll have to sell it and try to recoup as much money as I can.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

No Cat :shock:
saddle bags

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by saddle bags »

Yea no cat = less restrictive exhaust.

Couple that with modded air box, cold air feed, K&N panel filter, lightened flywheel and it makes for one rev happy wee engine :twisted:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No cat is likely to be an MOT failure.

R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
saddle bags

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by saddle bags »

Nope, not in Northern Ireland, been tested twice with the de-cat pipe on
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm not sure who defines the rules for N.I., but the UK rules recently changed to include two reasons for failure, which are "A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard." and "A silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition." So cars which have been de-catted are likely to fail future MOTs. Not trying to be smart, just stating that you might want to take this into account before buying a new exhaust system that you might have to remove at the next MOT.

BTW I'm not against loud exhausts - it took me 12 months to stop looking for the motorbike that kept following behind my other car. :lol:

Cheers R.
saddle bags

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by saddle bags »

I read through the Driver Vehicle Agency light vehicle testers manual before I removed the cat and found this.

Check for the presence of a catalytic converter on spark ignition engined vehicles first used on or after 1 July 2002 with, four or more wheels, a GVW of more than 400kg, not more than 12 passenger seats, and a DGW of not more than 3500kg.

the internet is a wonderful thing :D
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

saddle bags wrote:I read through the Driver Vehicle Agency light vehicle testers manual before I removed the cat and found this.

Check for the presence of a catalytic converter on spark ignition engined vehicles first used on or after 1 July 2002 with, four or more wheels, a GVW of more than 400kg, not more than 12 passenger seats, and a DGW of not more than 3500kg.

the internet is a wonderful thing :D
Are you sure that this doesn't mean that anything after 01/07/2002 has to have one whereas Robert's quote means that if they had one as standard,whatever year, then they still have to have one. If they were first registered pre 01/07/2002 and did not have one as standard then you don't have to retrofit.

To clarify you could ask the UK question here https://www.gov.uk/contact-vosa.

I know some people (non Z3) who have de-catted but kept old cat which they refit for MOT. :twisted:
saddle bags

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by saddle bags »

I know where you're coming from with the VOSA site, the thing is the Driver Vehicle Agency (DVA) are the body responsible for delivery of all vehicle testing in Northern Ireland. Things are different over here, our cars are MOT'd at 4 years old, there are only 15 test centers which all vehicles must come to. The DVA only test vehicles they don't carry out any type of work on them, totally independent.

When I got the car tested in Feb the examiner commented about how good the stainless decat pipe looked, and said it was a pity I didn't have re rest of the exhaust to match it :lol:
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

saddle bags wrote:I know where you're coming from with the VOSA site, the thing is the Driver Vehicle Agency (DVA) are the body responsible for delivery of all vehicle testing in Northern Ireland. Things are different over here, our cars are MOT'd at 4 years old, there are only 15 test centers which all vehicles must come to. The DVA only test vehicles they don't carry out any type of work on them, totally independent.

When I got the car tested in Feb the examiner commented about how good the stainless decat pipe looked, and said it was a pity I didn't have re rest of the exhaust to match it :lol:
Ok - Thanks for that - I understand now. I thought it was all under a EU directive that we all had to comply with.
Cheers
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Fair enough - would seem to be okay on the other side of the wet stuff. Owners in the rest of the U.K. beware though. :wink:

Note that I had to download the PDF version of the manual to find that out, as the browsable version only goes to chapter 5. :head:

Cheers R.