HELP !! SEATBELT GUIDE RESOLUTION

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

HELP !! SEATBELT GUIDE RESOLUTION

Post by Southernboy »

I have come up with an aesthetic and effective way of resolving the issue of the breaking seatbelt guides fitted to the side of the seats.
Before I go ahead and spend money on producing the items I would like to get an idea of how many members would consider using it as a preventative measure to avoid the cost of replacing the guide(s) both as an item purchase and the hassle or cost of having a new guide fitted. The item will effectively prevent the guides from ever breaking - short of deliberate and unneccesary force.

The cost for the mod for both seats will be around £.17.50 inclusive of postage to the UK. It is simple and can be easily fitted by the average person with rudimentary mechanical skill. It will "fit in" with the Z3 image, and may even be considered a desirable cosmetic enhancement to the car interior.
At this stage I am considering having sufficient numbers made up for 20 vehicles - (40 pieces). They will be available in any colour you prefer including chrome plated...but chrome will cost £.5.00 extra however, I imagine Black will be the most popular.

They can be easily fitted and as easily removed should you need to remove the seat / seatbelt. I estimate fitting will take around 10 minutes or less per side. I am planning to have a set fitted to my car based on the replies I get to this request.
The engineering involved is fairly complex because the item requires some shaping to accomodate the curvature of the OEM guides, and also they are specifically left and right handed as are the guides.

Please take the time to reply and give me an idea as to the number of people who would seriously consider this a s a sound investment. Consider the potential cost of a new OEM seatbelt guide is around £20.00 - £.30.00 per seat for OEM parts.
I realise that the final decision to buy a set or not will be made once you have seen the item fitted...... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: HELP !! SEATBELT GUIDE RESOLUTION

Post by Badman gee »

I'm interested, but want to see the goodies.

The 'BEAST' 666
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Badman gee wrote:I'm interested, but want to see the goodies.
same :)
mine are perfect, but for the future I'd like to preservate. but without seeing "what" are we talking about is not so easy...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You wanted a pic...here is a pic of a "prototype I knocked up. It's 99% accurate...(minus 1% for the "done by hand" effect) the ones I propose to sell will be machined....
But you can see that the 2 arms are now securely joined and the resultant "closed circle"is created. The material here is 2,2mm aluminium, but I will probably go for 1,6mm mild steel. The fixing screws are just 1/2 mm shorter than the depth of the plastic plus the thickness of the material (steel). I am still looking at a neater screw head...the ones I used here are not as "finished" as I would like. Something more flush with the surface of the "Z" would be what I would like.
Comments please....

"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Interesting! I'll bet of you did an '///M' one, the ///M owners would be all over it. Especially on the American forums, where they love things with an ///M badge!!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

No "M" on offer....but it would be as effective... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I'm tempted.
wifevanda

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by wifevanda »

I'm interested
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....seems there are a few people interested... I'll do a pic of it in Black...that way it'll give you guys an idea of a different finish....but only tomorrow...Have to do some work tonight...just hate when work gets in the way of having fun !! :head:
"Normal is overrated"

hopalong64

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by hopalong64 »

Would this work as a repair to a guide that has already broken?
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Southernboy wrote:You wanted a pic...here is a pic of a "prototype I knocked up. It's 99% accurate...(minus 1% for the "done by hand" effect) the ones I propose to sell will be machined....
But you can see that the 2 arms are now securely joined and the resultant "closed circle"is created. The material here is 2,2mm aluminium, but I will probably go for 1,6mm mild steel. The fixing screws are just 1/2 mm shorter than the depth of the plastic plus the thickness of the material (steel). I am still looking at a neater screw head...the ones I used here are not as "finished" as I would like. Something more flush with the surface of the "Z" would be what I would like.
Comments please....

Do you have to remove the seat covers?

And I want an m badge

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

BMG. You don't have to remove the seat covers or the seat guide from the seat...everything can be done insitu...and "M" is possible, but not an M Badge. If you want an M, I can have a few "M" 's done at the same time... Only problem I can forsee is the M needs to be more of an "italic" M. This may result in it being too narrow left to right vs the necessary height to bridge the gap in the seatbelt guide, and may appear inapropriate, and certainly inaccurate. The Z is pretty much accurate as per the original Z in the Z3 logo, and works well. You could have a Z with the M colour stripes if you wish... :wink:
The 4 screws are 2mm self tapping, and require 4 x 1,6mm(D) holes to be drilled into the guide, and that is all that needs to be done. Once fitted, if you want to remove the seat or seatbelt, simply unscrew the 4 screws. The "z" is shaped to fit the curves of the seatbelt guide left / right and top / bottom. Once it's on the guide looses it's ability to flex at the base points where it most often breaks.

Regarding using this as a remedy for an already broken guide...I suppose it will hold the broken side in position, but it won't have any preventative properties to avoid the opposite arm from breaking on the same guide. Also, because the guide breaks on the base side vs the arm side, it will possibly provide a sharp edge which may catch and or wear on the safety belt fabric itself. That may mean you would eventually need to replace a safety belt. The benefit of using this mod is to avoid the break in the first instance, and therefor not have to ever replace the guides again. I'm sure BMW parts might not like this...but at £.30 per side, it's a pricey replacement item.

I'll post an "All Black" pic and an "M coloured" pic later for those who want to see the possible options. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

£16 a side at my local dealer.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That's a good price! Is that a BMW dealer? or aftermarket stuff?
"Normal is overrated"

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Southernboy wrote:You wanted a pic...here is a pic of a "prototype I knocked up. It's 99% accurate...(minus 1% for the "done by hand" effect) the ones I propose to sell will be machined....
Comments please....

nice :D

(what means "machined"? )

maybe you can try a black one for cars without chromed parts, to cover more different interiors. something like plastidip painting :)
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Does it screw into the existing

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep...You just need to position it, drill 4 little holes with a 1,6mm drill bit, and screw it on....I would suggest if you want the M colurs, you get a couple of M stickers, stick them onto the Z and trim away the excess...so you have a Z with the M colours on it..?
...and I'll supply the screws with the mod...so as you receive it, it will be complete to fit.
Last edited by Southernboy on Fri 05 Jul, 2013 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Southernboy wrote:Yep...You just need to position it, drill 4 little holes with a 1,6mm drill bit, and screw it on....I would suggest if you want the M colurs, you get a couple of M stickers, stick them onto the Z and trim away the excess...so you have a Z with the M colours on it..?
I'd like a black z or m instead of chrome.

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

As I said...the M is a bit of a problem...I can do an M, but it can't be the exact M as per BMW logo...I will have a look at it and if it's possible to bend / shape to the curve of the guide - then no problem..if not, it'll have to be Black Z's
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The one in the pic I posted is polished aluminium...not chrome.... :wink:
Also, you will need to order a set of two....one for each seat
"Normal is overrated"

freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Southernboy wrote:That's a good price! Is that a BMW dealer? or aftermarket stuff?
Mail dealer. If they're £30 each in SA I might sell a few down there.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

What's a mail dealer? are you talking OEM or aftermarket / Taiwan stuff?
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Southernboy wrote:What's a mail dealer? are you talking OEM or aftermarket / Taiwan stuff?
I'm guessing at a typo, Main dealer.

Coopers have them at c£18ea

Seatbelt guide
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cool...there you go then...This mod will spare you that cost - permanently...plus you don't have to have it fitted, or if you DIY..then you don't have that hassle of disconnecting batteries (for airbag issues) removing the seat, the leather upholstery to get to the clips etc...and replacing it all again. Once this is fitted, it's another BMW issue to forget about.
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Sounds great

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL" And with flush screws... :wink:

"Normal is overrated"

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

black fits better the pastic IMHO :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...I agree...black is the way to go. So, now all I need is around 20 orders, and I can have the items made up for you guys.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Southernboy wrote:...I agree...black is the way to go. So, now all I need is around 20 orders, and I can have the items made up for you guys.... :wink:
As I suggested!

The 'BEAST' 666
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

Looks very nice, I'd definitely be interested. I have done something VERY similar to the solution you have here, but it does not exactly look as stylish as your solution.

Here's the youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ePShFA2kLQ

I used velcro from ebay as the video suggests, took around 5 minutes and no one can really spot it.

Obviously it looks pretty tacky, but it works I guess.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

When you say about drilling 1.6mm holes are you talking about drilling pilot holes in the seatbelt guide or are you talking about drilling the bracket?

I agree that the flush (countersunk) screws look a lot better than the dome head screws, but without a drill press I think it would be quite tricky to get the holes drilled into the bracket and countersunk with any degree of accuracy.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Dave...I'm referring to pilot holes in the plastic seatbelt guide... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"