Tyres or steering

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Tyres or steering

Post by Alan W »

I noticed at low speeds my Z3 ban be a little bit susceptible to 'tramlining' on uneven road surfaces or on white lines?

I also think sometimes that the steering isn't as 'tight' as it should be and can occasionally feel slightly vague / wanderey?

I thought it might just be the fact that it has fat tyres and nose-heavy with its heavy 2.8 engine - but bearing in mind that whilst the car is in excellent condition and has only done 49k mls, at the end of the day it is 14 years old and may have all original steering and suspension and bushes.

So where do I start?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Tyres or steering

Post by gookah »

change the tyres. it was the only thing that cured my tramlining on a previous Z3.
I tried powerflex bushes, strut brace, new springs, new wishbones, different pressures, nitrogen, nothing worked till I swapped out the tyres...then instant cure.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Tires cured my problem. Not to be confused with "tyres", as me being American, I have no idea what those are. :D
ImageImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Probably tyres (tires!) as stated, but probably made worse by the 14-year-old bushes and worn balljoints as you say.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

If the car has just passed its MOT (l know the garage and they are very strict) wouldn't they have detected any wear in the steering / bushes / wishbones / balljoints if it was sufficient to be affecting the steering?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Tramlining is an issue with many Z3s - it seems to be a design issue. Larger diameter wheels and certain tyres seem to make it much worse. I've always had it despite lots of suspension/steering work. One tyre that has got regular good feedback in terms of eliminating it is the Avon ZV5 - I will get getting some of these when my front tyres need replacing.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

My zed suffers from tramlining, and each time I change the tyres for a new set, the tramlining goes away and then gradually comes back again (done this twice now - at 25k and 50k miles). Refreshing suspension components did help, but the difference wasn't as noticable as replacing the tyres - perhaps because the tyres were already part worn and already susceptible to tramlining when the suspension work was done. I honestly don't think it matters which tyres you put on - all new tyres will feel better for a while - the difference is in how long they last before the tramlining comes back. Certainly ///M suspension seems to tramline a lot less than standard suspension, even on part worn tyres and running larger diameter rims.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
SeriousRikk

blank

Post by SeriousRikk »

Alan W wrote:If the car has just passed its MOT (l know the garage and they are very strict) wouldn't they have detected any wear in the steering / bushes / wishbones / balljoints if it was sufficient to be affecting the steering?
From my experience with my E46... The amount of wear required to even get an advisory on a strict MOT is a lot more than is required to cause the handling to feel a bit off.

The symptoms generally are very difficult to spot from underneath. My wandering E46 was caused by wishbone bushes, but you couldn't get any significant movement out of them while the car was off the ground.
Richard - Old Zeddy's new home...
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Del wrote:Tramlining is an issue with many Z3s - it seems to be a design issue. Larger diameter wheels and certain tyres seem to make it much worse. I've always had it despite lots of suspension/steering work. One tyre that has got regular good feedback in terms of eliminating it is the Avon ZV5 - I will get getting some of these when my front tyres need replacing.
Yup, the Avon ZV5 certainly worked for me. I got them to match the rears. Had part worn Michelins on the front and the tramlining was awful. All gone now. :D

Bonzo
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Conversely, Pirelli seem to consistently get bad reports for z3 tramlining :drive
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

my z had 15inch wheels when I brought it, fitted the 16inch and it now tramlines, was fine before on the 15s. I just don't take any notice of it, though on a 2.8 it must be abit scareyer :lol: look at it as fun and interesting to drive :twisted: