Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 28/06 - 2014 Update!

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Mad Max

blank

Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 28/06 - 2014 Update!

Post by Mad Max »

Ok, about time I got around to doing this, and if I don't do it now then I'll get too far and miss stuff off. These journals are a great way of recording what has been done to a car if nothing else.

Back story... my previous BMs:

1996 e36 323i coupe

1994 e36 M3 3.0 coupe

1998 e36/7 Z3 1.9

2002 e36/7 Z3 3.0 Sport

(access to http://www.BMWowner.com required)

History lesson over.

Over the winter I had the M3 all sorted after her... misadventure at the 'ring. New alternator and radiator were popped in her and she was all ready to go! Then one Saturday night I kicked myself off the sofa and I went out in her for a thrash... sublime! I put her up against my mates stock e46 M3 and from both a standing and a rolling start she literally handed him his arse... To say she was quick was an understatement! The combination of weight reduction and mods had made her into a real weapon.

When I got home, after tucking her up safely in the garage I sat on the sofa with a cold Peroni and I pondered... Whilst I loved the 3.0 Z3 I kinda felt as if I wanted something M for daily use. I was fed up of saying "But my other car is a monstrous M3... (honest!)". I had tried taking the M3 to work one day but it scuffed over the one speed hump on the way to work... so I carried on drinking the Peroni until I came to the conclusion that what I wanted was a Z4M Coupe, sell both the cars I owned and buy one I'd love and use every day.

Great, now I had something to think about, so I found one, went to look at it and... meh.

I wasn't bowled over if I'm honest. Very capable, very pretty, very rare... but just missing something. I didn't fall in love. So I went home and carried on my search for another, before spotting a Z3M Coupe. Quickly I changed the search parameters on Piston Heads and AutoTrader and there she was, a Dakar Yellow beast. I had always loved the M Coupe's looks, real Marmite. Splits people down the middle. You can't help but notice it, especially in yellow.

So I went to look at it in the Z3 3.0, left that there and drove the MC home! Is it time for pics yet? I think so, this is how I found her:

Initial mods were carried out on the spot, carrying over things like the strut brace, e46 ClubSport knob, LED front side markers, sport aerial, iridium front , SilverVision rear and silver side indicator bulbs, aero wipers, etc.

The car itself came with a great chunk of history. Highlights of that were a new Dr VANOS unit just 5k ago, a pair of replacement clutches, the first one at a local garage for £400, which the owner at the time had written "NEW CLUTCH RUBBISH" on the receipt!), the second was carried out by BMW with a new flywheel too and that came in at £1900. The BMW technician had written on the top of it "You might want to fit a braided line as the new clutch feels the same as the old one"! Haha! The next receipt was from Munich Legends who'd fitted a "braided clutch hose, supplied in car", hehe! On top of that on a visit to BMW the service guys there had informed me that the boot floor had been replaced by BMW for a rather large sum of money just 5k miles ago. Awesome, that's all the weak bits covered then!

One thing I had noticed was that the rear number plate holder was in the boot... rather than being ON the boot as it should have been! A little fiddling and it was back on with some nice new BMW number plates:

Job done! Next up, whilst driving to work, the clutch assistor spring had fired out of the pedal, it worked fine without it but when I went to replace it I found that the trim down by the pedals is missing, so that got replaced:

I fitted the old OEM fire extinguisher from the 3.0 Z3:

New rear wiper blade, check the box it arrived in too! Haha!

Another thing that was bugging me was the stereo, there was a bit of trim missing:

Now because I couldn't find any of these on eBay I figured it can't be more than a few quid from my local dealership, especially with my discount... even Carl my parts advisor was shocked when it came in at £15! :o

Still, it got done!!! I also threw some Goodridge braided brake lines on there with some AP Racing DOT5.1 fluid for good measure. I've also given her a good oil change with genuine BMW oil and VANOS filters, a K&N panel filter and a load of Gulf Competition 5w 40, some Castrol diff oil and fresh coolant. The thermostat, cam cover gaskets and throttle cable have also been changed.

Then something awful happened. After over ten years of driving without doing it, I kerbed a wheel :( ...and I did it well!!

Never one to sit still this was the perfect excuse to do this:

Which involved a whole lot of palaver as one of the old tyres was so old that it had cracked and wouldn't hold air... so I had to do this:

To get myself over to Demon Tweeks who appear to be the only place in the world that holds stock of decent tyres in my sizes. I had to go for Toyo T1Rs on the front and T1 Sports on the back as they're phasing the Rs out now for the Sports, but they don't have an Rs left in 245/45/17 and they haven't made any Sports in 225/40/17 yet! All I can say is that the T1 Sports feel awesome on the back, highly recommended!

The badges that were on it looked quite old, they must have been original. Pricing up replacements at BMW scared me (almost £90 for the three!) so I found a guy on the forums (Aceman) that does a vinyl kit for it, worth a punt at £13 or so:

Much better! At the same time I ordred some of the rear arch protectors (Titan) and some of the replacement seat bushes that I fitted (Aceman again!)... no pics, but they're just seat bushes... they stop the seats rocking back and forth, which is nice! :)

Then the solenoid saga began... I was driving along one day, stopped at some lights and noticed that I had an idle that was lumpier than school dinner custard! When I got into work I checked the obvious air pipes but couldn't find anything. I rung my local indy who said "oooh, that sounds like what happened to my old Evo - it was the exhaust solenoids!". Fearing the worst I popped in on my way home from work and my fears were confirmed when the Auto Logic brought back the exhaust advance solenoid. Queue the VANOS test and every single one clicked bar the exhaust advance. Gutted!

These little buggers are the exhaust advance and retard solenoids. They are about £600 from BMW for the pair! Still, I didn't pay that, I spoke to a few people (Enda!) who pointed out that the main cause of the failure is a little bit of solder on the solenoid. Off to work I went, took the car apart in the car park and then had my soldering-ninja guy at work do the work... checked it on a meter and it was perfect. Reinstalled it and... that's one creamy idle! :)

Happy... for now. I was driving her the next day and she felt underpowered below 4k rpm, after that she was fine. I ran a diagnostic on the old laptop that I've got at home and what did it bring up? VANOS solenoids! Only this time it was the intake one... annoyed by this and owning a soldering iron I decided that I could do what I'd seen my mate do at work the other day, and I did. I took the intake solenoids out, soldered them up and checked on a meter... perfect. Great, so I put the VANOS back together and went for a spin... she felt great for 100m but then after that the performance went again! Back home, another diagnostic and it flagged exactly the same. I started to take it all apart again, but then I noticed that the intake solenoid was unplugged - how odd, I'd just plugged it in minutes ago, so I took off the black cowl underneath and plugged it back in, tightened the bolts up on the cover, gave the plug a wiggle and it fell back out again!

It turns out that if you over-torque the nuts on the black plastic cover it flexes and presses on the release for the intake plug! My own bloomin' fault..! Haha!

After getting over these fears I booked Enda to come down and work his usual magic on the engines brain... which he did, thanks again matey :)

I have fitted these:

...but I'm not yet completely sold, I'd much rather have the originals properly vinyl'd in black as I think they look better (along with the side vents and rear boot lifter). I'll be keeping the originals in case!

As the M3 departed I stole the Storm gearknob out of her...:

A little bit of the M3 will carry on in the MC.

A final bit of whoring:

Oh and a nice double-Dakar shot at BlueBell BMW:

I even painted the garage floor for her:

She's tiny in there compared to the old M3!

Pimping it at the BTCC:

So, that's how far I've got... I'm currently waiting for BMW in Germany to send me the under-body aero parts that the car is missing (it actually has a very impressive flat underbody all the way back past the gearbox!) and Bilstein to make some B8 shocks for her - as soon as they do that she's going into Demon Tweeks for the B8 shocks, H&R -30mm springs, H&R ARBs and a whole load of purple PowerFlex bushes. Should sort out the body roll but not be too harsh.

I'm going to mod this car a bit, but not too much, it's too collectable to go silly with. Sensible mods and keep her usable every day, rather than just going for out and out speed as I did with the M3. I've had so many nice comments from car enthusiasts about this car since I've bought her, she really is a special beast! Then again, there's been just as many people who've told me how awful it looks, haha! I love her, that's all that matters :)

Thanks for reading, if you've made it this far you deserve a beer! ;)
Last edited by Mad Max on Sat 28 Jun, 2014 15:00, edited 6 times in total.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50

Post by TitanTim »

Made a great choice there and rare to have a sunroof, always loved the breadvan, and still half looking lol :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Badges look good mate as does the car in fact stunning and a credit to what you have achieved so far.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Lovely... and very rare! I'd love a bread van!
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Cheers guys :)

I am loving the little bonkers yellow beast.

There'll be a few more updates, mostly the suspension mods and keeping her sweet.

The engine is 99% the same as the one in my old M3 (S50B32 in the MC, S50B30 in the M3), but with a few good improvements... the sump, the oil pumps and the 1mm bigger valves spring to mind! I love the extra torque through the midrange that it's got over the 3.0.

I've had the remap done and a K&N panel filter... exhausts seem like a lot of money for a good weight saving but very little bhp... and I don't want the lumpy idle of a carbon airbox or hot cams, so I can't see many more bhp coming from the engine. Maybe an e46 M3 crank pulley like I had on the old M3, that wouldn't hurt.

I've gotta say though, I'm a little concerned about lowering her any more, I've already had one scrape down the underside that ended up tearing a bit of chassis just in front of the fuel tank, fortunately my local BMW (BlueBell Crewe) sorted that for a good price, welded up the tear and re-undersealed that part of the car.

Then again tonight I went over a medium sized bump and heard a noise - checked underneath and it looks like I've cracked the part of the undertray that covers the cross brace! May as well put that on the order with all the other bits of underbody aero! :(

TitanTim - I thought it was the other way around, when I was looking they all seemed to have sunroofs... I had thought it was a pretty standard feature!

Aceman - Many thanks for both the badge vinyls and the seat bushes, for very little money you sorted two things on my car that had been bugging me. It's great to have such good products and service within the community, top man :)
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Well I turned up at Demon Tweeks first thing on Tuesday morning:

Straight up on the ramps to get work started:

Here's a nice pair of front wishbone bushes, RTABs and rear subframe bushes are purple PowerFlex too now:

On with some Bilstein B8s and H&R springs, you can just about see the H&R ARB in the pic too (plus the Goodridge lines):

The rear end wasn't as easy - the exhausts had to be dropped to fit the rear ARB:

Whilst under there it's always good to check that the diff hanger is in the correct position!

Phew!

All that went on with a full set of new top mounts, a new set of spring pads for the rear and finally a 4WA on the Hunter machine at DT. Good job, but it took a little longer than their estimated time of 5hrs... it actually took three times that! Still, they didn't charge me any more than they'd quoted, so that made the labour come out at just £16 per hour! Awesome, I don't know anywhere I can get a mechanic that cheap! ;)

The handling has been transformed, much more responsive and much less body roll. I'm getting a bit of understeer on the limit now so I'm considering stiffening up the front ARB, they're both set of soft at the moment.

Next up for this car will be a replacement o-ring on the constant presssure oil valve below the exhaust manifold, hopefully that'll cure the drip I've got. I've also got a full underbody aero kit from BMW, over the years the car had lost and/or broken what was there. It's a pretty impressive set actually, it goes right back past the gearbox!

I'm also considering 10mm spacers front and rear... just to widen her up a bit :) Maybe later.

Today Alex and I gave her a quick wash, polish and sealant. I've never had a car that bugs stick to like this one, it's insane! :( Right pain getting them off!! Still, I'm hoping the sealing wax or whatever it is will help stop them sticking in the future... I hope!!!

These could be my worst pictures ever but just as we finished it started to spit with rain so had to push her back in, quick!

Still, I hope they demonstrate the shine that comes from four hours work!! As I'm sure the bugs will appreciate it as they impact upon her... still, she was always bought to be driven and enjoyed rather than polished and taken to shows :)

Thanks for reading :)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Mad Max wrote:....... I've never had a car that bugs stick to like this one, it's insane! :( Right pain getting them off!! Still, I'm hoping the sealing wax or whatever it is will help stop them sticking in the future... I hope!!!
+1, a 5 min run leaves the car like a crime scene up front, bug blood everywhere!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 30/06 Suspension Updat

Post by Gazza »

The coupe is looking good.

I have started a Topic re the Vanos Solenoids, your findings will undoubtedly help others ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Cheers guys. Alex, my missus, thinks that because the car is yellow the bugs think it's a flower... when was the last time you saw a flower do 70mph eh? Silly bugs!

The best info I found on the solenoid was here. Very easy to follow, so I can't take the credit for it! :)
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

love it mate ............. :D
Mad Max

blank

Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 07/07 As it should be used

Post by Mad Max »

Had a great run out this morning to put the car through it's paces.

At the start of the Evo Triangle:

Then at Ponderosa for a big old fry up:

The car was flawless bar a little bit of pulling to the left under heavy braking, I think that's down to the left front calliper being new and the right one being old. Guess that's a good excuse to get a matching new one for the other side! :D
Mad Max

blank

Re: Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 07/07 As it should be

Post by Mad Max »

Here's one last pic I've been sent of the drive:

I had the seal on the engine's constant pressure valve at the weekend, fiddly little job but mine had definitely been weeping for a while:

It was all collecting on the X brace:

The old seal just crumbled off. Here's the CPV:

Whilst that was being sorted it was a good time to replace the very battered undertray. I didn't get a chance to do the front part of it but I'll get around to it. Here's the part I replaced:

And then fitted:

For some reason the new undertray has a cut out on it, when I ordered it I didn't bother getting the cover as I'd thought it was just the diagram that was a little off. I can't work out what the cut out is for though, I originally thought it was for an S54 but the hole is too far back to be for the oil drain.Whilst she was up in the air again I thought I'd get some better pictures of the suspension bits I had fitted.

Rear suspension:

RTABs:

Subframe bushes:

Cheers for reading :)
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Love the coupe Mad Max 8-) great setup you have there.. You coming to Zedfest?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Little mod today, I debaffled the airbox:

No idea if it's made any difference yet as I haven't driven it, but apparently it should.

The on going issue I have is oil leaking, and it's really bugging me! The CPV has stopped leaking now with the new seal which is great, but after going up on ramps again at the weekend it's still coming out - the undertray was soaked! It now looks to be coming from the sump cover on the bottom, so I've had the bolts all nipped up but if that doesn't stop it it's gonna be a £3 o-ring from BMW and £100 of oil from Opie to get it changed, which is very annoying as it was only changed about two months ago.

I've also ordered some Amsoil MTF for the gearbox, after 85k it won't do any harm to have that changed.
Mad Max

blank

Re: Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 21/07 - Airbox Mod

Post by Mad Max »

Well the low mileage oil is still appearing on my garage floor so I've emailed BlueBell BMW to get an oil filter and the sump cover o-ring in ASAP. Hopefully this will be the end of the leaks..! :(
Mad Max

blank

Re: Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 21/07 - Airbox Mod

Post by Mad Max »

Well, I had some fun with the Z3M at the end of last week. I went for third gear and found nothing! Had to limp the car home from work in 4th gear the whole way, the linkage had come apart!

Looks like last time the clutch was changed this pin wasn't replaced with a new one:

As you can see from the new one, there is a part of the locking U-shaped part that has snapped off. £1900 to have your clutch changed at a dealership and they don't replace this £4 pin... not good!

I also had the oil sump cover o-ring replaced as this appeared to be weeping slightly:

Whilst she was up in the air it was a good time to have the gearbox oil changed.

I put some Amsoil MTF in her, I wasn't expecting much of a change but wow, get some.

I also had the deflector pulley changed, it was squealing and I hated it:

One last thing was one other thing that was bothering me was the air/water deflectors in front of the rear wheels:

Next up is putting the front underbody aero on, I keep putting it off as I can't really work out how it goes together..!
Mad Max

blank

Re: Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 31/07 - More Work

Post by Mad Max »

Ok, it's been a while but I should probably update this journal...

A few things have gone on in my life and I did consider selling the M, but at the moment I have no intention of selling her.

First off in March was a quick (Fit!) MoT:

Passed with one advisory on one of the track rod arms.

Then back in April the exhaust solenoids went giving a fantasticly lumpy idle that coincided with me starting a new job... so I was getting some funny looks in the car park every night either sitting stationary at 3k to keep the idle happy or just violently rocking from side to side... all good fun. Fortunately I have a friend who's into radio controlled helicopters and he can solder anything :)

This was my failed attempt:

He did a much better job but I'm afraid I didn't get a picture of this. At the same time I found a loose spark plug in cylinder three which I nipped up, she was running a lot happier after that was all sorted!

Next up was the heater panel bulbs, it had always bugged me that the right hand side one didn't work. It was a bugger of a job, but a satisfying one none the less:

Old bulb out (I replaced both as I was there anyway):

Then, half way through the job, one of the VDO gauge bulbs went! Fortunately these are 501s, but they're meant to be 3v and I only had 5v, so a pair of 5v went in to try and keep it as samey as possible:

All done!

She his 88,888 miles:

Since swapping my clear side lights and indicators for tinted ones I'd decided that I didn't like the look at all, so off they went (plus some nice person had obviously walked into my car and torn half of one of the side lights off!):

Much better!

In May I gave her an interim service. I've decided to give up on all the fancy pants oils, I'll be honest I've tried Silkaline, Mobil 1 and Gulf Competition oils in S50s, so this time I went for what it says in the handbook - Castrol FST Edge 5w 40. Can't fault the stuff, she seems very happy on it. I guess BMW must recommend it for a reason. No pics I'm afraid, but we all know what an oil service looks like!

I also decided to give her a clean. Not my normal wash and dry but I actually spent nine hours detailing and getting sunburnt. I washed, detarred, clayed, polished and then waxed until I could wax no more. I used the Billet Hamber medium clay followed by auto Glym Super Resin Polish and High Definition Gloss Shine. Exhausting, but worth it :)

Then I took this photo at work:

It didn't matter how clean my car was, can you even see my exhausts? Ok that was the next job... A few bits of wire wool and metal polish later:

At the start of June I was planning some maintenance, I wanted to take the plenum off and clean the ITBs, I'd done this on my old 3.0 M3 and it really made a difference. So, off with the plenum!

Unfortunately under the plenum I found this little lot:

...which had obviously been untouched since the car was bought :(

The infamous 50p bung:

So there was a little bit of sitting in Bluebell BMw and enjoying their new £2k coffee machine whilst they sorted the bits for me!

Fortunately they all turned up and I got everything fitted. I am very chuffed with the engine now, super smooth and as it should be :)

Next up was the inevitable tick over tot 90k miles!

The only advisory I'd had at my MoT was for the track rod arm, not the actual track rod end. Another thing that had been bugging me was the front right hand brake calliper, so I bought a pair of new track rod ends, pair of track rod arms and a new brake calliper and I went off to my local Indy to get them fitted. Unfortunately the braided line wouldn't come out of the old calliper, so my mechanic set about refurbishing the old one. He found that the outer part wasn't sliding due to built up sh*t in the slider, a bit of wire wool and I've got perfect brakes again. Top job and saved me £100 on the calliper!

The track rod arms and ends went on with no fuss, then I thought I'd better try out the new Snap On laser aligner they've got at another local garage:

I have to say I'm very impressed. I'd always looked for Hunter machines, but the Snap On jig was impressive too. The difference with the new arms is really night and day, the little bit of vagueness on the steering has gone and she's back to being razor sharp :)

Finally after all the boring maintenance I thought I'd better treat her to a few mods. So I got myself an e46 M3 crank pulley and fitted that, I removed the AC belt and I swapped the 95*C temp switch in the rad to an 88*C one and whipped the viscous off... I am very pleased with the results. She's much revvier now, you can really feel the loss of parasitic drag on the engine.

Next up I've noticed that one of the rear bumper rivets appears to have snapped. I've bought four more but I'm not going to do them until I've got some free time, then I'm going to take the rear bumper and the side skirts off and the wheel arch liners and give everything a good clean up and underseal :)

Crank pulley:

Viscous delete:

I also had the alternator belt changed too, this finally silenced the squeaking at the front that I'd changed the tensioner pulley to try and fix ages ago! Oh and in the last shot you can see that I've finally installed the oil cooler/underbody aero coverings. Massive improvement, you don't feel half as much front end lift at high speed. It's obviously put there for a good reason!

Finally a few little whoring shots :)

On top of a car park:

With an M3 CS at work:

Last edited by Mad Max on Sat 28 Jun, 2014 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
aceman

M roadster S50

Re: Mad Max's - Dakar Z3M Coupe S50 - 28/06 - 2014 Update!

Post by aceman »

Looking good max, what is the part number for the lower temp thermostat switch or is it an ebay special.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Cheers Aceman :)

Genuine BMW 88*C on 80*C off fan switch matey, PN 61318376440, £25.52. When it's that cheap and it's the only thing stopping your car overheating in a traffic jam I think genuine is the way to go! It's from any M43/44 engine'd car I believe. The S50 has the 80*C thermostat already installed

I've seen your name associated with the viscous delete before Aceman, haven't I? I thought you were a big advocate of it?
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I am just not got round to doing it yet. So are you saying I wouldn't have to change mine on the S50 ?
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

I think you might be confusing the thermostat and the fan switch matey. I've changed the fan switch that sits in the rad. The standard one comes on at 95*C and turns off at 90*C. I've replaced it with the new one that comes on at 88*C and turns off at 80*C.

The thermostat Is what opens and closes to allow the coolant to flow around the engine, on the S50 that is an 80*C as standard, there are higher ones in other engines that require changing for this mod, I think the other thermostat opens at 88*C or something, but we don't have to worry about changing them (plus mine was replaced just after I bought the car).
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

No I am clear on that just thought you were talking about the switch temp in the S50 is standard 80 which threw me for a second. Anyway that is now good to know what to order which I will get on with when I get chance. :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Just email partscheltenham@cotswoldgroup.com and they'll post it to your door ;)
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

No worries my local BMW dealer is only half a mile down the road.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Haha! No excuse then ;) Trust me, once you've done it you'll wonder why you didn't before.