brake discs bolts snapped

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

brake discs bolts snapped

Post by cosmosblack »

Hi guys, i have started replacing my discs and pads first wheel went second wheel side not so well, the bolts that hold the caliper on i think their 16mm they both snapped and then their are two hex bolts they both snapped as well i think i have found the part number for the hex but i cannot find these parts anywhere any ideas please thank you :) i have looked online and on ebay are they specific to the BMW or will others fit thanks in advance
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: brake discs bolts snapped

Post by Robert T »

Front or rear? The bolts look to be different.

Reading the quantities carefully, I make it that there are two hex bolts and two guiding bolts each side. The guiding bolts look to be headless.

Diagram for front (06/98 2.8):
Front wheel brake-Brake pad sensor - BMW parts catalog

Diagram for rear:
Rear wheel brake-brake pad sensor - BMW parts catalog

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

they are the front and i think its number 8 and 3, just had a quick look on ebay but they are not cheap, where can i buy bmw parts online?? thank you :)
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

i meant number 6 i am sat nearly a foot away from computer and cant see haha
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Sounds like you're referring to the two 16mm bolts that hold the carrier to the hub? They are torqued on quite tightly and I bet a lot of garages over-torque them with "windy guns". The flat bottom "guide" bolts (accessed under the little plastic caps on the inside of the calliper) that hold the calliper to the carrier are (from memory) 7mm internal allen bolts and are not supposed to me more than hand tight. These items are likely to be BMW specific.
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

yeah their the ones, they were so tight to the point that they all just snapped in half, it really peed me off and i dont think they are going to be cheap to replace, i thought they would be a few quid each
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Coopers are taking the P a bit here, but the hex bolts are currently listing at £2.45 each and the guide bolts at £17.70 each. I'd ask your local dealer for a price, as mine is usually a bit cheaper than Coopers.

I did look on BMMiniParts and they aren't showing them, but they may be able to find them for a better price. I was also going to look for secondhand on bmw-parts-uk.com, but the site seems to be down. :(

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

i cant believe how much the guide bolts are, its going to be expensive if the rear wheels snap as well, thank you i will have a look on that site and hopefully can pick some up second hand
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

There are some guide bolts on eBay as part of a overhaul kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Z4-Z8- ... 35c46d79c6

HTH
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Another link to a site that supply calipers etc.

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#page=parts&pag ... 2.8+MODELS

under caliper fitting kit
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

i have ordered them on ebay thanks guys for helping
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

The hex headed ones maybe but I've never known slide bolts to be so tight that they snap. I would have thought that your 7mm allen key would give way first!
I don't intend to patronise but you are turning them anti-clockwise?
Most cars have similar set ups normally originating from ATE so if you can find a kindly person on here who is working on brakes at the weekend they could measure them for you and you could source them from a lesser vehicle than BMW at reduced cost.
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

yeah defo turning right way i couldnt believe how tight they were they both snapped and then the other ones snapped and also the one that holds the disc in place i thing its that snapped and i had to drill it out, the drivers side were on so tight it took me hours to get them undone but least they didnt snap,i just hope the rest are not like the passenger side, finger crossed
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

By far the easiest AND cheapest option is to get 2nd hand ones from a breakers.I had to get a slider bolt for my sons VW T4 van last year and the local breaker didn't want anything for 1 bolt, I gave him £5 as the bolt was only available from VW as a complete calliper assembly at a cost of nearly £100. The 3 series brakes are the same re ; the mounting bolts and slider pins. Where abouts are you, in the UK? If you want to send me pm I will try to locate and get prices for these pieces for you. I am in the car trade in Lincoln. Removal of the discs is not easy if you can't get the carrier off but I can tell you a way.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

Whilst you need to be careful where you get it onto around brakes, I find that a squirt of "PlusGas" the day before you want to work on things makes for easy removal of bolts that have corroded in. Useful on suspension adjustment bolts before going to get tracking down etc. avoids the garage wrecking it and charging you for new track rod ends or similar.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Sound advice! I should have put some penetrating oil on my track rod end locking nuts before I sent Zed in for 4-wheel laser alignment. The garage couldn't undo the nut on the N/S front one, with the result that it cost an additional ~£40.00 + fitting for a new replacement!