People with angel eyes

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
shantybeater

Porsche

People with angel eyes

Post by shantybeater »

Afternoon all,

I'm midway through recooking my lights to fit my AE's. Does anyone know how to get to the side marker wires (i'm right in saying this is what you use?) is it a bumper off job?
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
shantybeater

Porsche

Re: People with angel eyes

Post by shantybeater »

Scrap that, not happy with the fitment at all so they are going back
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

For reference, you can splice into the bumper side marker lights from the wiring loom in the engine bay. You can just trace which 2 wires go to the bumper. The wiring loom splits at the top of the wing behind the headlights.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Greg01

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Greg01 »

Hi shanty
which ones did you buy ?
i have just bought a set today !
cheers .
Greg .
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Hi Greg,

I went for these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350478680114? ... 1497.l2649

The outer rings were a perfect fit but the inners seemed too short and out of place against my chrome rings. At a guess they must be made for the non-facelift lights (without the chrome trims)
Greg01

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Greg01 »

Hi shanty
Thank you for the heads up i have just ordered the same
One,s
Mine is a pre face lift so I hope I will be ok !
Cheers
Greg
JAV11S

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JAV11S »

Greg01 wrote:Hi shanty
Thank you for the heads up i have just ordered the same
One,s
Mine is a pre face lift so I hope I will be ok !
Cheers
Greg
I was on the verge of buying these same ones today. I too have pre-facelift lights, so if I could trouble you to share how you find them that would be most helpful. :)

JAV11S
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I think any of the angel eyes will look out of place against the chrome rings as non are the exact shape to fit against them or behind them. If you find a set that fits in front they will probably cover part of the ring or if you put them behind the lens then the chrome ring will maybe cover part of the angel eye. Someone needs to make a set that are a perfect fit for behind or in front of the chrome rings and they would look 8-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Greg01

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Greg01 »

Hi jav
Will be fitting them this weekend will let you know
Cheers
Greg
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

g8jka wrote:I think any of the angel eyes will look out of place against the chrome rings as non are the exact shape to fit against them or behind them. If you find a set that fits in front they will probably cover part of the ring or if you put them behind the lens then the chrome ring will maybe cover part of the angel eye. Someone needs to make a set that are a perfect fit for behind or in front of the chrome rings and they would look 8-)
Ah I see, I think its a deal breaker for me. :(
JAV11S

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JAV11S »

Im conscious that my headlights are rather old and 'yellow'. Can anyone recommend sidelight/headlight bulbs that provide a good match to the colour of the 6000k angel eyes? Same goes for the foglights, they too seem rather dull these days and it would be good to freshen up the whole arrangement.

JAV11S
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I use Philips Blue Vision, whichin spite of the fashionable name just give a very white light.

Remember that if the battery is on its last legs the system voltage will be low, so check that with the engine running the battery voltageis between 14 and 14.4 volts. a 0.5 volt reduction beams a reduction of 5 watts ona headlamp.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Call me old fashioned, but I like the warm look of the original incandescent bulbs.

I used to watch my wife driving up the road and think how the lights suited the retro styling of the Zed.

Modders please dont take this the wrong way but it astounds me why people want to fit out of character accessories.

I think i must be getting old :roflmao:
Greg01

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Greg01 »

Well guys
After 7 hours of messing splitting the headlight
Into three parts I can say the angel eyes I got just do not
Fit ! :head:
I got the inner one to fit sort of but not perfect :roll: .
the outer rings are just to big for either side of the lense and wont fit
against the chrome reflector part .
I put my headlight back together and admitted
Defeat :(
I have emailed the seller on eBay where I got them
So will wait an see what happens .
i have also emailed two other angel eyes sellers and asked
them to measure the angel eyes for me , as i have measured
the ones i have, and will buy the one,s that fit .
Greg .
JAV11S

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JAV11S »

Greg - Thanks for your write up, shame it didn't work out.

So do we know of a supplier of Angel Eyes that are proven to fit?

JAV11S
Greg01

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Greg01 »

Hi Jav ,
i have emailed two ebay suppliers asking for them to measure the angel eyes for me
if they turn out to be a little smaller i will be ordering some .
i did like the look of the one i managed to almost fit so it all depends on the size !
i have the size,s of the one,s i bought and from them worked out the size i now need
so with a little luck will get it sorted .

Greg .
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

This forum never ceases to amaze me! Talking about Angel Eyes, I had mine fitted by Ben Sweetman, all of about 6/7 years ago (I believe my Zed was his guinea pig as far as this forum was concerned). Anyway they've recently stopped working, and I can't locate Ben anymore (his website Chromeline Design's no longer registered). I wanted to swap out the inverters first before doing anything more drastic such as taking out the headlights, etc or trying to replace the rings themselves. I can see the inverter attached to the headlight on the driver's side with cable tidies where there is also a little bit of space for manouvering but I can't for the life of me see the inverter for the passenger side headlight and there's very little space there to put anything, let alone to get my hands in for a fiddle around! :lol:

Did anyone else who had theirs fitted by Ben know where he located the inverter for the passenger side headlight (I'm assuming there is a separate inverter for each side? or is there just one to cater for both headlights) and how would I get to take it out & finally where would I source a replacement inverter? (I'm thinking ebay, but is there any specifications to look out for?)

As always any help would be greatly appreciated.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

BimBeema wrote:Anyway they've recently stopped working, .
What has stopped working?
All rings both headlights?
One headlight, both rings?
One ring in one headlight?
All have a different possible fault.

All rings is liable to be a switch or main supply problem
One headlight both rings is likely an inverter, or supply to that inverter.
One ring one headlight is likely to be a bad connector to that ring, or failed ring

Usually one inverter for each headlight, and each inverter does 2 rings.
When you find the second inverter, try swapping them to see if fault changes sides, if it does, then it is probably the inverter.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Thanks for reply Gookah.

Its both rings in both headlights that have stopped working, but supply should be fine as my side lights which the angel eyes take a feed from are fine & working. The drivers side headlight I actually disconnected the inverter myself as it kept flickering on & off and the headlight on the passenger side stopped working shortly after but I can't locate its inverter, hence my post asking for help.

I'd rather change the inverters first than take out the headlights and open them up as its easier to change the inverters (providing I can locate the passenger side one), if that doesn't fix it then I will have to open up the headlights.

Any help would be appreciated.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

As its both rings in both lights it does sound like the inverters have failed. You can buy replacements at a reasonable price so it would be sensible to replace these first and see if that cures the problem.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Connections are critical too, especially the ones between the inverters and the rings, They are are an easy check and repair, But dont touch the connector directly as you waggle them cos they can give a nasty bite at that voltage.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

g8jka wrote:As its both rings in both lights it does sound like the inverters have failed. You can buy replacements at a reasonable price so it would be sensible to replace these first and see if that cures the problem.
Thanks. So any idea where the inverter for the passenger side headlight might be located and also what do I look out for buying replacement inverters? is there any specification?

Thanks again.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Hi Sam

I too had my first set done by Ben, My inverters were under the headlights.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
cosmosblack

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cosmosblack »

i went through 2 invertors from ben i got one of ebay for about a tenner and havent had a problem since been in the car for about 5 years
Greg01

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Greg01 »

Hi all,
After some messing i finaly have the angel eyes fitted in the car !
the place i got them sent me two extra set,s of angel eyes out and to see which fits best ,
the original kit they sent is for the facelift model .
the ones i put in are a little smaller than the ones in the kit that didnt fit and these are almost a complete ring.
but fit snug on the front of the lense .
i managed to fit them but they need a little fettling today , i also de tangoed the headlight
ordered some chrome bulbs a much better look .
will post some piccs later .
im not convinced yet about the look with the smaller eyes but will see how the overall look is once done .
the other ebay sellers didnt even reply to my emails .
so if these dont look right its a new set of headlinghts with the rings in :roll:
Greg .
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Gazza wrote:Hi Sam

Ah, was dreading that, means taking the headlight out! Thanks for reply though.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Looking forward to seeing your finished headlights, im sure they will look 8-) I did mine 14 months ago, and put them behind the lense (prefered the look better) just wished i had done them alot sooner :D they look so much better even with the orange indicators removed too.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
JAV11S

Z3 roadster 2.8

People with angel eyes

Post by JAV11S »

Greg,

Did you get these angel eyes in? Were you pleased with them and you have any pics?

JAV11S
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

BimBeema wrote:
Gazza wrote:Hi Sam

Ah, was dreading that, means taking the headlight out! Thanks for reply though.

It's only 3 fixings, really easy to remove :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Everytime this thread pops back to the top I keep wondering who are these 'people with angel eyes'. :D I wonder if you could get some special contact lenses made up...
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - I have heard of people with slitty eyes, but angel eyes - they must be a dead cert!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Or cert(ainly) dead! :roflmao:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi All...

I have upgraded my headlight unit over the weekend with a proper set of Xenon lights including the angels eyes.... looks great I have to admit but I am wondering if there is somewhere else to connect the angels eyes to?

Like everyone else I tapped off the side lights in the bumper (facelift 2.0L) so they are on when the sidelights are on but I would prefer them just to be on automatically when the engine is running and turn off when the engine is killed. This way I wouldnt have to have the manual effort of pulling the light switch out everytime I get in or out..... This is how the running light work on my A5 too.

- any ideas where I could tap this feed off from ?? I might also put a switch in too just incase I would ever want them off

Cheers Lee
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You coulkd pick up a live feed from the rear of the ignition switch or the light switch.
Gazza

ImageImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I took the top off the fusebox and tapped into the Green/Black wire below fuse 24,
This is an ignition controlled supply (to powered mirrors amongst others) and means my angel eyes come on automatically when I turn the key.
Its also on the fused side
4 off T10 torx bolts to remove the lid and see the snakes nest underneath.

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cheers Gookah... I looked at that and wondered where to start but now I have a fuse number it will make it a damn sight easier !!

Thanks Lee
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I find that while a Z3 fitted with circular angel eyes looks OK in the dark when they are turned on, it looks wierd in daylight, because the headlamps are not circular. This also means that the AEs also obsure a good portion of the headlamp lens's useful area, which is not a good idea - and could even be a reason to fail an MoT, if the current regulations were fully observed.

Apart from considerations that they may look 'cool,' I think they are a lot of money to spend on fancy parking lamps - it would be better to fit the BMW system, where a special module (61 35 8 368 039) replaces the main beam relay, supplying the main beam lamps at low voltage when the ignition is turned on. This also has the advantage that it is a fully Z3 type-approved DRL system, which would stop anyone claiming that an accident was your fault, due to your driving around on parking lamps.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I did think of fitting these, but seems a lot of bother (though they do look cool). im going for these instead -
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... People with "Angel Eyes"....... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

"Angel eyes" - something I used to say to the missus 30-years ago! :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.......I hope you're still diplomatic at least... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Mike Fishwick wrote:............ it would be better to fit the BMW system, where a special module (61 35 8 368 039) replaces the main beam relay, supplying the main beam lamps at low voltage when the ignition is turned on. This also has the advantage that it is a fully Z3 type-approved DRL system, which would stop anyone claiming that an accident was your fault, due to your driving around on parking lamps.
Interesting alternative - have just priced part 61358368039 on BMWMini parts - £99 plus VAT.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Jonco - I saw Mike's post about this as well. Not being an expert in auto electrics, in simple terms how does this work? If it's a simple, legal upgrade that looks trendier - that suits me fine :)
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Del wrote:Jonco - I saw Mike's post about this as well. Not being an expert in auto electrics, in simple terms how does this work? If it's a simple, legal upgrade that looks trendier - that suits me fine :)
Del, I am no expert either - maybe Mike or somebody else can explain. I have found the part on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=25&hl=25 (item 13) but cannot find it on a wiring diagram yet. Still looking.............
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

If DRL's are really what you're after I fitted some on my Z this summer.They came from Auto-Electrical co. in Lincoln. I fitted them in the centre grille right at the bottom as far apart as possible in the bottom "slot" of the grille and I had to remove the 2 outer uprights on the lower slot of the grille which doesn't weaken the grille at all . They are simply fixed in with double sided 3m tape,I located an ignition fed fuse in the fuse box which,when you turn off the ignition and lock the car keeps them illuminated for a few seconds which allows me to get to the house door before being plunged into darkness.These lights also came with the relay which turns the DRL's off when you have lights on to supposedly comply with the law? Why do some new cars have DRL's on all the time? Anyway I'm really pleased with mine and my friends say they know it's my car coming from a mile away it is so distinctive.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I'm all for headlight modification if it's making their output better (I've got some bi-xenon projectors in mine now), but angel eyes I'm not keen on as they are usually too big (as people have found don't fit the headlight as the circles are flattened on the Z3 headlight), or like the Chinese headlights, they are too small and too dim. I understand they are a BMW feature on new cars but I removed them from my projector headlights (or rather I painted them silver!).

Originally these are the Chinese black projector lights, painted the barrels and halos silver, changed the projector to a bi-xenon D2S setup and added OEM clear indicator lenses;

Fitting extra DRLs IMO just don't look right, makes the car look a bit try-hard because it's so old you have to resort to fitting dull aftermarket parts. Either buy a new AUDI or just switch your headlights on in the day :lol:

I would say the best setup if you want DRLs is the relay Mike mentioned. Sounds very expensive and I'm sure there's a cheaper source for the relay, but a dim main beam would look factory and contemporary as that is what most non-LED DRLs are like on BMWs and other cars.

One thing for me is how the car looks lit up at night, IMO it doesn't look good is extra lights on extra the headlights (why I never ran the halos originally as the inner ring looked rubbish next to a projector), so as above make sure any extra external DRLs turn off with headlights.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The BMW relay for DRL use of the main beams costs about £65 or so - not too expensive when compared to the alternatives - and it has the advantage of being fully type-approved for the Z3, so avoiding any accusations of having been driving on parking lights, which are all that angel eyes legally are.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Mike Fishwick wrote:.........The BMW relay for DRL use of the main beams costs about £65 or so -.......
Mike - definitely interested but is that a UK price - if so would be grateful if could say where please?
As stated above I made an enquiry through BMWMini Parts and they were quoting £99 +VAT (RRP was £112 +VAT) - delivery from Germany.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

That may have been the price a while ago, as BMWFans quotes £65 as the GBP price (See http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/61358368039/). However Coopers are currently asking £135 or thereabouts. The same part fits E36 3-series and E38 7-series, so you may be able to find cheaper versions. It says "National Version Canada", so may be worth looking abroad for replacements.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Robert T wrote:That may have been the price a while ago, as BMWFans quotes £65 as the GBP price (See http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/61358368039/). However Coopers are currently asking £135 or thereabouts. The same part fits E36 3-series and E38 7-series, so you may be able to find cheaper versions. It says "National Version Canada", so may be worth looking abroad for replacements.

Cheers R.
Thanks Robert - missed that one looks good. Price from BMMini was as recent as Wednesday.