Should I?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Biggles330d

blank

Should I?

Post by Biggles330d »

Hi Forum

Very tempted by a Z1 and pouring over as much information as I can find so this forum is a gold mine.
Am watching with interest the green Z1 going through silversone auction later this month http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1990-bmw-z1 but curious about the colour - Lhasa green isn't an original colour as far as I understand, and it makes a point of it being a UK car? Does this make a big difference to one thats been imported, perhaps many years ago?

Is the estimate value £18-£22k about right? You see lots for sale at all sorts of values, but while they are for sale, they are unsold at that price!

I understand the seats are particularly fragile things - do any other BMW seats fit the Z1 if you wanted to use it a bit more regularly and not mess up the originals?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Should I?

Post by Davejue1 »

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this very car only last week. If I remember rightly people had concerns about it? I'm sure someone will put the thread up for you. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Biggles330d

blank

Post by Biggles330d »

Ah, the very same. I suppose as always buyer beware like everything. Are Z1s known to be a target of ringers and crooks or are there so few about that they will all have some small issues and with enough patience can always be resolved. So long as they're not crash-bent or stolen.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

This is a useful link: http://fred.brossaud.pagesperso-orange. ... z1_eng.pdf

As noted, from the VIN, that's an October 1989 car. Whether it was an original UK car or not would have to be investigated. I don't think it makes much odds to the value.

I doubt it is actually Lhasa Green - more likely it's just "normal" Primeval Green and has been mislabelled. Primeval Green (2,040 built) is the third most common colour after Dream Black (2,301 built) and Top Red (3,105 built).

£18-22k sounds fair for an auction since the purchaser will have to pay commission on top of that. I'm looking to sell my similar-mileage Z1 and the advice I've been given on pricing from a knowledgable trade source is £22k.

Great cars. You should definitely get one.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Biggles330d

blank

Post by Biggles330d »

Thanks for the link, lots of useful things in there.

In terms the doors, I've read the horror stories about if they go wrong, but what are peoples experiences and are there simple things that help to keep them functioning properly? The rest of the car seems relatively hardy in terms of running gear, just care needed with the panels and fragile interior trim?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Biggles330d wrote:Thanks for the link, lots of useful things in there.

In terms the doors, I've read the horror stories about if they go wrong, but what are peoples experiences and are there simple things that help to keep them functioning properly? The rest of the car seems relatively hardy in terms of running gear, just care needed with the panels and fragile interior trim?
Ignore the horror stories, there are some niggly things, but the engineering behind the doors are not the enigma they once were, most faults can be repaired with some very good expert help in this forum and other sources. Maintaining the lemon interior requires a little more attention, but not to the point where it spoils enjoyment (see http://bmwz1.co.uk/z1seats.htm).

If it is more for show then you can get the seats professionally restored, otherwise get it cleaned and a set of a tailor made seat section covers will be enough.

....and yes, you should.
tg184

Z1 roadster

Post by tg184 »

What Jet said. Especially the last bit.
I understand the seats are particularly fragile things - do any other BMW seats fit the Z1 if you wanted to use it a bit more regularly and not mess up the originals?
Just in case you didn't already pick this up, the seats themselves are fine. They're also extremely comfortable, and hold you in place securely if you want to drive with the doors open (and, yes, you should definitely do this).

It's only the seat coverings that are fragile, and it's true that the original pattern is hard to track down. Hence Jet suggesting seat covers. If you don't go that way, worst case outcomes are either a) tired looking seats or b) beautifully upholstered seats not in the original pattern.

My car has the lemon trim, & the cloth inserts were removed before I got the car. It now has lemon leather all over, but with the centre panels perforated for contrast. Hard wearing, looks great, wouldn't change back.
FOR: Balance
AGAINST: Yours will be in doubt at this price

- CAR Magazine's GBU summary of the Z1 in period
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but the Lemon Interior reputation as 'fragile' is also due to the products being used to clean it, potentially resulting in the colour literally being stripped from the leather to a noticeable patchy grey/white/lemon combo.

I saw this on an otherwise very good low mileage Fun Gelb recently.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Just to add my twopenneth to this one - welcome! Buy yourself a Z1 and you will have a car that remains as unique in its concept as the day it was first conceived.

There are other roadsters, sure. Faster cars do exist, as well as those that are more robustly engineered and eminently more practical. However, and I speak as one with a certain amount of experience of interesting cars, the Z1 has a habit of getting right under your skin and staying there. I have owned my Traumschwartz car for 9 years now and I only managed to pry it from the grasp of the previous owner because he needed the cash for a business venture. He's now a client of mine and has made a point of having a recent review meeting at my house not his - just so that he could come and say hello to the little car!

The doors are nothing that cannot be sorted out with patience and attention to detail. The interiors are actually beautifully put together and the seats as comfy as others have said. Left hand drive is something that people fret about but it is nothing that you don;t get completely used to in a few drives. I ran an LHD M3 for 8 years as an every day car with no problems at all.

Others on here will laugh when they see me of all people writing this, but in fact it is a car that you end up not being too precious about and just can't wait to get into it and get out there in the sunshine and have a laugh!

As I say - buy one and you'll get all of the above and have access to a genuinely supportive community of great people like the lovely friends on here!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

I'd agree totally with Sam. It's clearly a more fragile machine than a regular BMW, but it is eminently usable and within its designers' parameters, surprisingly practical. The centre console does wobble if you lean on it, so don't lean on it. As for the rest, it's nice to be surrounded by hand-stitched leather instead of injection mouldings.

LHD is rarely a problem; in southern England, the roads are mostly too crowded to overtake, but choose your route carefully and the driver's position becomes irrelevant, and the aerodynamics make the Z1 a very pleasant motorway companion. And of course, theere's the added incentive to take it on a continental tour.

Expenses have been fairly trivial in the five years I've owned the car. Changing the cambelt, as a precaution after I bought it and the clutch slave cylinder soon afterwards cost no more than for a small hatchback. Repairing a fatigue crack in a front wing and reinforcing the fixtures to prevent the other one going the same way cost about £450 last summer, and I'm looking forward to learning about the door mechanism in May, as my driver's door works less smoothly than the other one.
As Sam mentioned, there's a great amount of support from other owners who are a varied bunch and universally good company.
Finally, if you were ever worried about the BMW image from other road users, forget it. Everyone seems to love the Z1.
Now if only I could get the damned thing started this morning!
Chris
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

So have you yet?
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog