One job leads to another!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
RockyDave

Z3 roadster 2.2i

One job leads to another!

Post by RockyDave »

After purchasing my Zed 3 I noticed that far too many indicator lights were "out" so during it's winter lay-up I set too replacing them:
The speedo lights were pretty straight forward but whilst replacing the instrument cluster lights I found that my airbag warning light was missing :head: still not sorted this one "put it on the to-do list"
The next job was to replace the heater bulbs, whilst taking the radio out it prompted me to have make a better job of fitting the radio when compared to how the OEM radio fitted. BUT, after fitting the heater control bulbs (not too bad and no skinned knuckles) I went to turn the lights on and found that the light switch rheostat was siezed :oops:
Looking on the forum, removing the switch seemed to be a simple job. As it was, BUT after removing the air vent I found that the pipe that should have been connected to the window de-mister was floating around :shock: After about an hour and skinned knuckles I got it refitted then set freeing off the rheostat. The usual cocktail of GT-85 and WD-40 did the trick and it is now as good as new :D
After refitting the switch I was really pleased with how smoothly the rheostat operated, only then did I notice that the indicator light for the headlight was not working! So, off to Halfords to pick up a bulb and out with the air vent yet again and we now have a working light :)

Is it just me or is a fact of life that one job on a Zed leads to another?
Image Image
2002 Z3 2.2i Sport Roadster Titanium Silver
2008 E61 520d Deep Sea Blue
1955 R25/3 motorcycle
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: One job leads to another!

Post by t-tony »

That's just cars Dave. But hell without them life would be so boring. :lol:
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

As long as all the bulbs don't blow at the same time otherwise you will have to do it all again :D
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Ah yes, the rathole of 'while you're in there you might a well........'

These cars are 10-15 years old now, so there's always something that needs fixing. IMO part of the charm of driving one if you like to tinker.

I do suspect that when you refit the airbag warning light it will be on, which is another job to do.
Last edited by siwilson on Mon 10 Feb, 2014 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

problem + tinker = sorted :) = :cheers

or
problem + tinker = not sorted :evil: = another tinker = sorted :) = :cheers

.....so Zed'ing is a win win :wink:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

One thing about Z3's...by the time you've sorted out all the small niggles you've learnt a considerable amount about BMW construction / design methods...You also have the pleasure of knowing that having to re-visit a particular area to repeat or do something new is so much easier due to past experience.
You also realise that the cost of fitting LED's wherever possible - paricularly under the dash or behind the console - is a must do, as they will last years...and you won't have to remove stuff as frequently....
Ultimately you really get to know and appreciate your car for all it's quirks...and really enjoy the fruits of your labour on those days when the roof comes down and she purrs..... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Hey SB,
Any tips on those led dash lights you mention. I'm going to do this job if it ever stops raining here (so maybe in a few months only, no rush!)
Heard you having heat waves down there..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

do a search on eBay "mini led dashboard bulbs"...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-T5-12V-3 ... 2eccc12b45
"Normal is overrated"

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Thanks, they cheaper than the BMW ones too. Are they any brighter or different looking once fitted?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

brighter...but if you have a search on eBay, you can choose red, blue, yellow, warm white, super blue etc etc etc...ie. if you want to emphasize the BMW red lighting, get red LED's...they're so cheap that if you don't like them, you can change to something else... :wink:
Also, the 3rd brake light bulbs can be changed for LED's...much brighter, instant on and off, and last forever...Same with bumper and side marker lights, reverse lights, main brake lights and tail lights..all interchangeable with LED's.. they use less power and have a good lifetime of around 70.000 hrs...and all things considered, if you spend the next 70,000 hours in your car...you'll probably be dead already...
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

will these do the heater control bulbs as well? or are they different to the ones in the dash? or are those the ones you mean? Also do they just plug and play without any fiddling?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Check the specs on them...they generally are specified for automotive dashboards...10 volts etc... so yes, you can simply swap over from conventional bulbs to LED's.. Some of the larger bulbs as in reverse lights etc need to be more specific..... as in Canbus, which means you don't need to fit rectifiers to get them to work within the car's system without getting any error codes popping up... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Whilst changing my headlight switch I noticed that the little light attached to it doesn't illuminate so while the switch was out I decided to replace the bulb, however it (the bulb) is still not working - having applied the multimeter I see there is no current coming through the connectors.. Is there a fuse or anything that this is powered through? (other bulbs on the dash appear to work, except a few which I assume are just ready for replacing)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It only comes on when the headlights are on....
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think it should be on all the time that the ignition is on - mine is.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi, nope definitely not on when the ignition is on and/or the lights are on... tried all combinations and there's no juice going to the bulb holder so I am guessing either

(1) a fuse?
(2) broken wire in the loom (that I cant currently get to as the dash is still in place)
(3) been disconnected by the previous owner to feed one of the many odd modifications on the car

2&3 can only be confirmed when I remove the dash later this year
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I think it should be on all the time that the ignition is on - mine is.
Mine too
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

thanks all, issue found, the aftermarket immobiliser puts the dash lights on but not this one for some reason?! :head:

new headlight switch fitted which turns all the way for the dimming function and this pesky little bulb swapped for one of the mini LED's as proposed by Barry on a different thread. PS... I used bluetack to hold the bulb holder in place when fiddling to put it all back together.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

That bulb is not part of the dimable backlight system. It is supposed to be on ALL the time so that you can find the light switch in the dark. Because it is on all the time, it will be one of the first to burn out.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cheers Robert.... *EDIT - that makes sense then, the immobiliser does all sorts of strange things, with what will or wont work before it is de-armed including the ignition and associated functions.*

with regards the bulb itself, hopefully the LED bulbs will last longer....

On this topic of bulbs and things that are/arent working and the aftermarket immobiliser that is installed on my M can you shed any light on the following:

1) should my gear knob light up? *EDIT - It is half chrome/half leather and I have found a tread that illuminated knobs are all leather only?*

2) Where the A/C button etc are in the console just in front of the gear stick I have a little LED light (blue) and a little button underneath it. I originally assumed this was part of the aftermarket immobiliser/alarm - especially as I think it looks out of place compared to the other 4 buttons (heated seats, roof and AC) and I was considering moving it or even just hiding it out of sight when I do my refurb of the interior later in the year. The small button under the LED does press but cant see what it actually does, but was drawn to this thread (boysie comments) and hence the reason I am now wondering if it is OEM or aftermarket? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39001&p=362621&hili ... ck#p362621
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Southernboy wrote:do a search on eBay "mini led dashboard bulbs"...

So do you reckon red or amber to keep near as to OEM.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Althulas wrote:
I have gone for the white ones (shows amber through the headlight switch area). Basically my new Z has blue lights everywhere on it - looks like a right chav mobile - I am slowly replacing them to something a little less Essex
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Althulas wrote:
I have gone for the white ones (shows amber through the headlight switch area). Basically my new Z has blue lights everywhere on it - looks like a right chav mobile - I am slowly replacing them to something a little less Essex
Are all the fitments T5?
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Not sure yet - the one I changed today was a little loose but I just bent the connector metal a little to make it more snug with a very small flat head driver - fit perfectly and doesn't move. Barry will be best to advise how many places these little bulbs fit (not sure they would replace the ashtray bulb for example but could be wrong). At <£2 for 10 I figured a pack would be fine.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I see that the T5 LEDs recommended above have 3 LEDs. One on the top and one on each side.
Is it noticeable that the light is not 360 degrees ? (in that on two sides there are no LEDs)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

BonBon wrote:I see that the T5 LEDs recommended above have 3 LEDs. One on the top and one on each side.
Is it noticeable that the light is not 360 degrees ? (in that on two sides there are no LEDs)
no, it illuminates the area equally (for this bulb anyway)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

As with other LED PCBs - I assume that the circuit is directional (ie depends which way you insert the LED) and only works if inserted with the correct polarity.
Worth pointing out - one needs to test the light prior to putting things back together.