New Z owner/ member. Chuffed! :-D

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

New Z owner/ member. Chuffed! :-D

Post by daveofedinburgh »

Hi all,

Just a quick hello from a new owner. Picked up my 2000 2.0 manual yesterday, and delighted with the car so far.

Its topasblau metallic, with a blue hood and blue leccy leather. All electrics work (apart from slightly slow windows) and the hood and rear window are in great nick. Slight wear on drivers' bolster, which luckily hasnt broken the leather so will be treated promptly.

Bodywork is very good given the age. A couple of little stonechips and no notable scrapes or dings. All 4 wheels have had a light curbing outside of the hair salon, but are otherwise solid with virtually new tyres.

The main thing though- it drives absolutley A1! Not a single knock, bang, squeak or whine from anywhere- phew. Ive owned 2 mk1 MX5s previous to this, and had 2 Supras (manual and auto) before that. Love the 6 cylinder noise coupled with the ability to get the top down- cant believe a Z was never on my radar before now.

The car is on 105k miles, and feels about half of that. Comes with a virtually full history, lots of which is BMW. It is due a service, so recommendations in the Hertfordshire area are very welcome.

Jobs to do are few, and seem to be pretty common from what limited reading Ive done thus far. Slightly damp carpet on drivers' side, Im sure due to a leaky roof although it was driven in the rain today and no obvious leaks detected. A little water is sitting inside the fuel filler cap- blocked drainage by the looks of things, will be addressed tomorrow. Slow window I can live with, but passenger side outer doorhandle works intermittently. The car unlocks fine on both sides no problem on the central locking, so Im hoping a little lubrication of the mechanism will help- known issue anyone? Other than that, the car is spot on and was a real bargain.

The one thing I didnt expect from the car was the noise- even the humble 2000cc has a great rumble to it, and pulls fantastically compared to the zingy but modest 1.6 4cyl in the MX5. Way smoother and more refined too.

Im honestly struggling to think of anything in the price bracket that gives you quite so much goodness. I wasnt even aware that the wider-arched facelift models could be had for such reasonable prices until I stumbled across this beauty while looking for a clean E36/46 cabrio. A beautiful, smooth, refined, entertaining, 6 cylinder 2 seater convertible with a respected badge at a bargain price- what more could you ask for?!

Ill post some decent pics this week once Ive polished until my fingers bleed- for now here are 2 quick snaps taken after the long drive home on a frankly awful phone camera:

Hope you guys like, and any helpful hints on ownership/ maintenance are more than welcome. :-)
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: New Z owner/ member. Chuffed! :-D

Post by Althulas »

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your ownership. Try some silicone spray on the rubber part of the runners and WD40 on the metal you should find that makes a difference to your slow windows. There's a article in the knowledge base re tightening the roof mechanism correctly. Another thing to look at is the rubber plugs on the top of both corners of the window screen rubber may need some attention with some gorilla glue see this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=254611
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

white grease sprayed from an aerosol onto the metal parts of the window mechanism cured our slow windows do them with wd40 first winding them up and down to clean them but as wd40 will quickly evaporate away give them a good dose of white grease :wink:
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Hi welcome to the forum from me also. You've founda great place for info - enjoy your new motor…
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Hi welcome I'm sure that you will enjoy your car hopefully some warm weather on the way for top down motoring :drive
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Trawl through the knowledge base, lots of info there, and take on board anything Mike Fishwick says. Anything else you want to know, just ask!

Enjoy your Z, have you given it a name?

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thanks for the welcome guys. Day 2 and Ive just discovered my first 'mechanical' issue!

Had a lumpy idle after a cold start today, revs felt like they may dip low enough to stall, but never did.

A quick dash down to the local Tesco revealed the car was feeling reluctant to rev, almost as if the engine management was reigning the power in.

Quick walk around Tesco feeling sad, then back to the car which started flawlessly. Gave it a minute to come up to temperature, then drove perfectly from there on. No funny noises, smooth as ever. Didn't see any warning lights on the dash.

Gotta love an intermittent problem. Any thoughts?
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

As it seems to be isolated to a cold start problem I would GUESS at two possible, non-serious causes:-
1. A vacuum leak around the inlet system - very common on BMWs - splits in the MAF sensor bellows etc
2. Possible dirty/gummy engine oil which is sticking around the hydraulic tappets (aka valve lifters) and preventing their full movement when the oil is cold and thicker.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I had poor idle when cold and it turned out to be the air inlet pipe - just check it for holes.

Other than that, enjoy it.... I have a 2.0L and I think it is still a great car and nippy enough to give squeaky bum times if you arent careful. Plus I still think the facelift back end is the best looking version
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thanks for the advice guys, the problem doesnt scare me too much after chatting to Chris (therealdb1) who had what would appear to be the exact same issue on his 2.0, now cured. Ill have a look at the fixes mentioned above and try and get any codes read on an INPA. Drove the car this evening (top down :P ) on some of Hertfordshires' finest twisties and the car didnt miss a beat, she will be enjoyed to the fullest make no mistake!

Still after recommendations for a good independent in Hertfordshire, and access to the aforementioned INPA too...

Afew more pics below, car is filthy but shows off the topas colour far better as well as the leather. Yeah, its a boggo 2.0, but I personally think shes utterly gorgeous. :D

t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Really nice looking car Dave. Mine is a 2000, 2.0 Auto and I love it, a great car. Slow windows - liberally spray silicone spray on the rubber window guides while running the window up and down. That should sort it. Above all enjoy!!!
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"