First proper drive in the Z1

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
davieb

M coupe S50

First proper drive in the Z1

Post by davieb »

Other than picking up the car from London and driving in horrendous rain back to Devon, today looked like a good day to take it out on Dartmoor, so here it is. For some reason, I kept getting told off by my other half, for driving in the middle of the road - I guess it takes time to get used to the LHD! And apologies, I know I should have had the roof off...

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Re: First proper drive in the Z1

Post by TR4man »

That looks gorgeous.

Actually, I still have the hardtop on my daily driver Z3. I reckon this week is lulling everyone into a false feeling that spring is here - this time last year there was widespread disruption due to snow!
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

I can hardly look...

Kidding aside, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Dartmoor is surely a better place to enjoy its charms than central London.

Apart from your tendency to drive in the middle of the road, what does your other half think? Mine loved it even though she normally has no time for "old" cars.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Just saw in the paper that we are in for 10 days of sunshine :D

But you shouldn't believe everything you read in the papers.
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

My wife loves the car, loves the look of it, and doesn't have a problem with old cars (or old-ish) (we've done 70k miles in the M Coupe). But she was getting severely paranoid about my middle of the road driving.
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

Nice car and love the hardtop on it.
Z1 is a veryice driving machine i love it to drive.
BrianBZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by BrianBZ1 »

Only had mine since last August,took her out Monday just drove all around the kent coast it was great.
This is the only car the wife has taken any notice of,shes always asking when are we going to take her for a drive.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

The hardtop does make such a difference to the profile, one of the few drop top cars it actually suits, also better suited to certain colours I find, and Traumschwarz is one of them.

I would eventually change the plate though, much like the mascot, thats RT through and through.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Jet wrote:The hardtop does make such a difference to the profile, one of the few drop top cars it actually suits, also better suited to certain colours I find, and Traumschwarz is one of them.

I would eventually change the plate though, much like the mascot, thats RT through and through.
It's still my plate. We're just waiting for the DVLA to get its act in gear and assign a new age-related plate.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Ian M
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by Ian M »

Hi David,
Congratulations on getting your Z1, hopefully see you driving around the bay soon and If you need any help with anything Zed related just let me know.
Ian.
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Z1.

I collected the Z1 from Norfolk yesterday pm, a 3 hour top down drive home. I had forgotten just how good these cars are.

A slightly sad moment at Gillingham, the road was closed for 5 minutes while a low loader and crane moved into position ready to recover the helicopter which crashed in the adjoining field on thursday pm killing all on board.

TJS
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Hi David,

Good to see you are properly in love. It only gets better with time :D Dartmoor is a spectacular place to enjoy the little car too. Mine is firmly in the garage at present as DVLA managed to send my tax disc somewhere other than home. They are sending a duplicate, but till then the little chap is confined to barracks.

Roll on the summer proper!
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments.

I gave Jonny his plates back yesterday and will be getting some unimpressive H reg plates on it soon, then get the roof off and enjoy the sunshine. Ian - thanks for the offer, I'll probably take you up on that.

Dave