PreCut Paint Protection Film - Transparent Bra

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

PreCut Paint Protection Film - Transparent Bra

Post by BonBon »

The Z is my daily drive and I'm fed up with the stone chips and the annual respray of the front bumper.
I thought I'd try a transparent bra (let's see the humor...) and just had the following RSHIELD RVinyl product had delivered (as they only ship to the US):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350637284181?ss ... 1497.l2649
The fitting seems 'touch and go' to me - not sure I'll get it right first time. :shrug
Has anyone done this before?
Last edited by BonBon on Wed 26 Mar, 2014 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: PreCut Paint Protection Film - Transparent Bra

Post by Davejue1 »

I recently put clear stone guards on mine. After asking on here the general indication was lots of soapy water, assuming its 3M film then it's very forgiving as it doesn't lose its sticky backing so you can move it about as much as is required until you get it right. Good luck! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Soapy Water....for the record, some vinyls don't like washing up liquid. The reccomendation is to use a proprietary fluid OR baby shampoo.

I've just bought a spray bottle of clear coating that is supposed to stop bugs sticking and help avoid stone chips, from Clean Your Car.
Washes off and has to be redone after every shampoo.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Gave it a shot, after studying all the DIY videos :rtm:
....the baby shampoo slip solution.....isopropyl alcohol tacking solution......
Bottom line Gallant effort but no cigar - not for a novice (however gifted IMO) ******Read until end of thread
Flat smooth surfaces are doable (eg flat panels, windows or headlights)
....but to get a flat piece of precut plastic to completely fit a curved surface over a very large area blemish free, apparently needs a lot of trial and error - ie one skilled in the art.
Here are some pics. The first is the flat area on the bonnet - would have dried fine....but when I saw all the small issues at hand - I concluded that it just wasn't going to happen- as if you push hard with the squeegee you create an irreversible crease in the film (there is one on the right of the bottom pic)
May have needed a blow dryer to stretch etc. etc. :shrug Win most loose a few...
Hope this respray lasts a while. (The issue here is that because of the limited rain there is an abundance of stone chipping candidates)
Last edited by BonBon on Thu 24 Apr, 2014 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

My dad and myself once tried to carbon wrap a Citroen Saxo bonnet for my brother, lets just say it didn't go too well :head:

To do any sort of large surface takes a lot of skill and patience, small and flat surfaces are not to bad. I have done a few parts of my interior and recently put a couple of paint protection film stone guards on my rear arches which were all fairly straight forward. Any larger of more complicated surface should be left to a pro, unless its applied pretty much perfectly it can really spoil the look of a car.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I tend to agree.
BTW - the pics above are just prior to realizing it won't work. Had I persisted, it would have been much much better - but I wouldn't have settled for less than perfect - hence stopped.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I was thinking of doing the same thing as I've just had mine painted. I won't be now but fair play for having a go. :)

Cheers
Dave

BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

The film that I got seemed to be relatively thick and stiff. I have seen some online clips of films that seem much softer/more maluable where they are wrapped around the edges (something imossible with what I got).
Presumably that stuff would be much easier to "work" - but I assume the protection would be proportionate.
If I thought you had half a chance - I'd encourage you. I guess the only real option is a professional job.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Update for the faithful ;-)
Believe it or not - but about 4 years ago I was at the custom car show in Vegas (even posted some pics here) and got a sample of a paint protection film which I left sitting in the garage. It was a precut film gifted by CPFilms (a LLumar Precition Cut product).
Ignored it and bought a complete set by RVinyl (as I also wanted a bumper film) which I tried yesterday with poor results.
Before giving up I thought I'd give the old film a shot. Presto. A few imperfection that I can get out with a needle - but as good as can be expected. Not perfect - But I'll let it ride for a while.
The only differences were:
1. Different film manufacturer (this one seemed a bit more rubbery??)
2. More dilute slip solution (now about 2 tablespoons of soap per liter)
3. I'm more experienced.
Later today I'll do the bumper by RVinyl and we'll learn if it's the material.
Last edited by BonBon on Wed 26 Mar, 2014 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Needless to say: It wasn't me! :colourful:
The RSHIELD - RVinyl is presumably vinyl and the LLumar is a urethane :dunce: ........as they say: "You get what you pay for".
I don't like trashing products - but one worked for me and one didn't. The vinyl would probably be fine for a flat smooth surface.
Here is the best place to purchase quality product at good pricing - http://www.clearmask.com/
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Dave,
Just make sure you clean the bonnet really well. I did not believe it was going to work so cleaned it haphazardly - and a few specs now under the film show up unproporionately to their size. Now waiting for the bottom bumper film to arrive from clearmask.com. $59.40 & $21.65 p+p
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Just completed the bumper.
Not trivial - but with a set of good hands, a helper and some patience you get a pretty good job - the hood and the bumper should take an hour each if all the tools and liquids are in place (beer only after).
Also had to cut a couple of edges off with a scalpel.
Here's a pic....not really noticeable & hopefully will eliminate stonechips for a while. (it is really hard to penetrate the Llumar urethane films.
Last edited by BonBon on Thu 24 Apr, 2014 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

g8jka wrote:My dad and myself once tried to carbon wrap a Citroen Saxo bonnet for my brother, lets just say it didn't go too well :head:
I blame you for that.... :D
I least I stayed calm...... :twisted:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

I'm by no means an expert on vehicle wrap but run a vinyl lettering website, apply etched glass look vinyl to windows and have some experience fitting temporary graphics to new cars - compound curves and all that!

Couple of tips...
Do ensure the surface is completely clean. Use painters tack cloths to pick up all the gremlins and keep the vinyl wet to eliminate static when peeling off the backing paper. A spec of dust can look like a housebrick underneath vinyl!!
Don't worry about a few bubbles, they will disappear of their own accord in most cases. If not a pin will help clear the trapped air but shouldn't be necessary.
Use a felt squeegee rather than a hard edged one - much more forgiving!

There are products out there such as vandal/bomb proof film that is crystal clear but a hard acetate and variations on this product used on cars albeit thinner will be impossible to lay well over eg., a curved bonnet. A clear stretchable Wrapping vinyl as can be found here. ....http://www.pmxcoatings.co.uk/paint-protection-film.php won't have the ultimate protection of an acetate but should work and apply much better. I had an account with these guys a year or so back and will try to get some samples for people to have go with.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks for sharing. Always good to have something to look at as a reference. Could the above post go in the knowledge Base? :)

Cheers
Dave

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

When I had the MINI Cooper S done it took the poor fitter 6 hours to do the bonnet and bumper.

I might try this stuff sometime, alot easier.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/3m/p ... tAodC0gANA

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

When you buy a BMW or Mini from a main dealer the sales-people offer some sort of "paint protection system" but they are a bit vague about what it actually is? :shrug
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Del wrote:When you buy a BMW or Mini from a main dealer the sales-people offer some sort of "paint protection system" but they are a bit vague about what it actually is? :shrug
Do not buy dealers paint protection!!! It is the single biggest rip off this side of Skeggy! I should know I used to push my sales team to sell it, simply because it carried 70% profit. It's very expensive and complete rubbish. Have you ever been asked this question when your having your car valued at the dealers, "did you have the paint protection when you bought this?" Regardless of your reply the answer will always be the same....."I thought so!" ENOUGH SAID I THINK! :)

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

TitanTim wrote:When I had the MINI Cooper S done it took the poor fitter 6 hours to do the bonnet and bumper.

Tim.

That's just what I'm looking for - has anyone tried it?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

TR4man wrote:
TitanTim wrote:When I had the MINI Cooper S done it took the poor fitter 6 hours to do the bonnet and bumper.

Tim.

That's just what I'm looking for - has anyone tried it?
Originally came across 3M Paint Defender from ZPost here,

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread. ... stone+chip

I think it does need a little practice but if your ok at paint spraying and choose a warmish day then I think you can get good results, just need to be careful of over application to avoid any runs, at least you can peel it off should it go wrong.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

If you read some of the reviews on reviewer claimed the finish spotted after a rain storm and could not polish the marks out and the stuff would not peel of as advertised and had to use alcohol to rub it off marring his paint work. Maybe he didn't let it cure long enough though. Interesting idea though.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Just and update.
Well after three years the stonechips did enough damage to the films that they need to be removed and the bonnet and the bumper need to be resprayed.
Taking off the films with a blow dryer is a real bitch - just as hard as getting them on. And in some small areas it damaged the underlying paint.
So bottom line - best to spray every three years and forget about the plastic film.
If anything - perhaps on the bumper which suffers most of the stones - but not on the bonnet.....and it suffered the most damage when peeling off. (the truth being that once damage was enough to require a respray - I list patience and just peeled it off)