electric window problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
knighthawk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

electric window problem

Post by knighthawk »

Electric window goes down on its own with a flick of the switch but i need to hold the button in for it to go up drivers side only.
switch is fine as i have a spare one that i tried, any help would be appreciated thanks. :head:
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: electric window problem

Post by alec.m »

This has happened to me once or twice and seems to happen when window is getting stiff. Mine went back to normal after a couple of days both times before I had time to investigate. I spray some silicon down inside where the window is regularly to stop the motor laboring, seems to help. I`m too scared to take the door card off to do a proper job of cleaning and lubricating window guides. :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Have you tried the reset
First open the window fully, then hold the up button and continue to hold it for 10 seconds after it reaches the top, then lower it and hold the button for 10 seconds afterwards, then repeat the up, holding once more .
Should sort it.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

That should go in the knowledge base gookah. I must have been doing that without knowing.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

its the same on a lot of cars you can switch the one touch operation on and off this way after the window reaches the end of its movement keep your finger on the button for 5 secs and it either turns it on or off
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are two things being talked about here. One is teaching the car where the limit points of the window should be, the other is a safety mechanism built into the window to prevent smally children from strangling themselves.

If the window makes no attempt to continue closing on its own after a short press, then it needs teaching what to do. If the window starts to go up on its own, then retracts, then this is because it thinks something is stuck in it and is causing abnormal resistance - it can be caused by a lack of lubrication of the guides, maladjustment of the window or maladjustment of the hardtop (when fitted) - Gummipfledge'ing the rubber door seals can also help.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
knighthawk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by knighthawk »

gookah wrote:Have you tried the reset
First open the window fully, then hold the up button and continue to hold it for 10 seconds after it reaches the top, then lower it and hold the button for 10 seconds afterwards, then repeat the up, holding once more .
Should sort it.
Done both silicone spray and the reset, working again thanks a lot guys :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Robert T wrote:maladjustment of the hardtop (when fitted)
Hi Robert, can you expand a little more, I have this issue when my hard top is on - only on the passenger side, it gets almost to the top and then puts itself down again.... how does it know the hardtop is there??
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Hi Robert, can you expand a little more, I have this issue when my hard top is on - only on the passenger side, it gets almost to the top and then puts itself down again.... how does it know the hardtop is there??
It's not about knowing that the hardtop is there, it's about the fitting of the hardtop causing a resistance to the window going up. That's how the safety mechanism works - if the window meets resistance before it it fully up it is set up to retract slightly in case that resistance is someone's fingers/arm/head/etc in the window opening. If the hardtop causes the window to drag on the rubber seal, then if that drag creates sufficient resistance, it triggers the safety mechanism.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I've never looked at the electrics for this, but I would guess that it monitors the current to the motor.

The rear hardtop position can be adjusted in all three planes, and bringing that side inboard by a millimeter will probably be enough. I had this with mine when it was first fitted, and the dealer adjusted it for me. The driver's side has started doing it again, but I never seem to find time to fix it. I know from fitting one to another car that it is a bit of a fiddly job.

Cheers R.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Robert T wrote:I've never looked at the electrics for this, but I would guess that it monitors the current to the motor.

The window motor encoders send a rotational pulse back to the ZKE unit.
The number of pulses and timing are registered for full travel as identified during the factory settings or reset procedure.
If the number of pulses are not fully completed, and/or have stopped within the timescale whilst the button is still pressed, then it will retract as it thinks it has met an obstruction.
Bit like an ABS system for your windows.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cheers guys - I haven't noticed that the hardtop interferes with the rubber that the window goes up to be honest (after all there is only one rubber guide!) But then again I haven't looked so it's probably the issue.... The hardtop will no doubt be on my new zed this winter so it'll be interesting to see if it happens again

What I do know is that over the last 6 months I've had 2 hardtops on my 2.0l and both caused this issue, yet when I fitted one of them to someone else's car they didn't have the problem so i am guessing it is an issue with the car specifically... Either the window rubber or the alignment of the fitting kit at that side
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal