ABS & TC light on after insp 2 and brake fluid change

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

ABS & TC light on after insp 2 and brake fluid change

Post by andy18n »

Hi all
Had an Insp 2 and brake fluid change at a well known BMW and Mini Indy in the Midlands today. On the way back to work after 2 miles the ABS and traction control lights have come on. Pulled into a layby, stopped for 2 mins and restarted but they stayed on.
Is this a pure coincidence or could something have been interfered with?
I am feeling a bit untrustworthy of them tonight as when I picked it up, they gave me a list of jobs that needed doing, some £360 worth, inc track rod ends, front wishbone bushes and ball joints. It had flown through its MOT earlier today before the service with no advisorys, and the car had the front wishbone bushes done 2000 miles ago (unknown to them) at a main dealer. So, am I suspicious to say the least.
I can't be hassled to take it back just yet, shall I just look at ABS sensors, try and remove them and clean them? If that doesn't work they may have to look at it, but I suspect they'll just say its coincidence and ask for more money!
Any ideas?
Thanks, Andy
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: ABS & TC light on after insp 2 and brake fluid change

Post by roadvoyager1 »

With the background information you have I would be very suspicious as well. I would take your car back to the main dealer and complain that after 2000 miles the bushes have been recommended for change and query if they may have been faulty (I presume they would be covered by a repair warranty for a short time). You will probably be charged for the check but you will know if the indy is trying it on with you. Alternatively take it to another indy for a second opinion and price check.

Please update the post and let us know how you get on.
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

Have had it up on ramps this morning. Nothing that they said needs doing has any issues or noticeable play. The bushes are still like new. If you grab the wishbone there is no play in them at all, just a tiny amount of flex in the rubber. No knock or play in either track rod end.
I am now not a happy chappy at all!
Can't get any of the ABS sensors out so it'll have to go back, I'm really frustrated because It was fine before the service. Tempted to take it elsewhere and charge the place from yesterday for it.
I'm not one to name and shame but beware if you're using Indys in the Midlands!
Thanks
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Aggressive testing of brakes on a rolling road can cause these lights to temporarily come on. The "tracking" being out can also cause it. Difficult to imagine what else could have been done on an "inspection 2" regime plus brake fluid change that would have caused this. Given that the car has just had all its control arms and steering geometry poked, prodded and levered I would put it down to that causing something to go "out of adjustment" rather than an ABS sensor starting to "play up" by coincidence. :(
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

Disconnected battery for 5 mins. Lights now off and done 20 miles, still off! Fingers crossed.
Thanks for help.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Good news.
BMW main dealer fitted parts normally have a 2-year, no-quibble guarantee. If you are uneasy about this subsequent view that the control arm (aka wishbone) components are knackered after just 2000, you could take the car back to the main dealer originally involved, show them this subsequent report and quite reasonably ask them to check the parts free of charge.