Green mould on cabrio roof

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Green mould on cabrio roof

Post by ChrisS »

We have another open 2-seater in the family, whose soft top is now suffering from green mould. Autoglym's products cleaned it last summer but it has reappeared. Does anyone know of a more permanent solution for a car that isn't garaged? I'd be grateful for any advice, short of advising us to get a new hood!
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Green mould on cabrio roof

Post by micklaw »

Hi chris
We had the same trouble with ours. I found the only way was to do as you have done already.a real pain i know.
I think once the spors get into the hood they are hard to get out.
We got a new hood in the end

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

A thorough wash and a drive to your local garden center for some mould / anti fungal treatment / killer... thereafter, a decent sealant as is commonly used for tents seems to be more effective than most of the 'fancier' and more expensive hood sealants...
I have also heard that washing in a mild solution of copper oxide is an effective remedy for permanently ridding the spores... Perhaps google first though... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Although I've never tried it some folk on here have recommended Milton sterilising fluid. Use the search facility to check on this.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

If I get that (rarely) I just give it a blast with the pressure washer but not on jet or directly at the fabric, more of a 45 degree angle...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Thank you all for your advice. I think we'll try each of them in turn! Milton was my first thought, though it is also a bleach. I suppose we could re-colour the hood afterwards. It's black.
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

ChrisS wrote:Thank you all for your advice. I think we'll try each of them in turn! Milton was my first thought, though it is also a bleach. I suppose we could re-colour the hood afterwards. It's black.
Used Milton on my hood 12 months ago,then resealed it with autoglym ,still looks good,no fade in colour and the water still beads after standing out all winter
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »