Replacement outer sills

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
aknighto

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Replacement outer sills

Post by aknighto »

Hello all, I'm new to this forum after having recently purchasing a 2002 3.0 Z3. Having browsed various topics on this forum it would appear that corrosion on the outer sill is a common occurrence. Having inspected the outer sills on my Z3, I also have signs on corrosion. I have been trying to locate 'new' replacement sills but to no avail. Does anyone know where new sill covers can be purchased as my local dealer tells me they are discontinued and none available in UK! Have also spent a couple of hours on the net but have failed to find anything new even pattern parts. Just breaker parts that are likely to be suffering similar corrosion.
Any help would be appreciated!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Replacement outer sills

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi Welcome...

spurs fan in a coupe (andy) is breaking a car and it might have some good one on it - drop him a line, if they are in good condition I suspect they will be much cheaper than new ones
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

That's strange as I bought a new sill from my local Dealer a couple of months ago £150 with discount. They didn't mention anything about discontinuing them. That said I'm surprised an aftermarket company hasn't developed non metallic sills as they are only cosmetic - bit of a no brainer really and why were they steel in the first place?
aknighto

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by aknighto »

Cheers bertiejaffa, The ones currently on the car don't appear to be too bad, so if I cant source 'new' I may as well repair the ones I already have. Hopefully the car is a keeper so I'd prefer to replace rather that repair. Thanks for the post though!. Cheify, I couldn't agree more. I may try another dealer as the parts chap I was dealing with tried to sell be a pump when I asked for a non return valve for my windscreen washers! He didn't really inspire confidence so I suspect that bit of information may well be incorrect!!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

They are all keepers :wink: I know people on here who have got rid of wives instead of the Zed :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

I think there is a guy making fibreglass sills. If you want me to get his details let me know - PM me but spurs is the best bet!
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Wish they did stainless steel sills... now that would look really striking!!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind popping mine off this winter and having a look behind them and to see if there's anything restorative or preventative to be done.. can anyone tell me how easy it is to remove / replace them on a scale of easiness i.e. would a clumsy ham fisted accident prone oaf like me struggle?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Yesterday I asked at local dealership and they also quoted about 150 GBP for one sill. Quite expensive.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Cooper01 wrote:I think there is a guy making fibreglass sills. If you want me to get his details let me know - PM me but spurs is the best bet!
Thanks for the recommendation, I have a car outside waiting to be broken, seems to have very clean sills, I will take them off and have a better look when I can store it inside. If you're really keen I can put some snaps up?
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
aknighto

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by aknighto »

Thanks for that 'spurs fan'. Will be taking the sills off next week so will know the extent of the damage and whether its worth repairing or replacing. Have managed to source new at £150 a side plus VAT! Ouch!!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Re the question about how easy they are to take off, I'd say pretty straightforward but quite a few steps involved from what I remember (wheel arch liners have to come out/be moved to allow access). Also it's worth taping some cardboard of similar to the lower part of the rear wing to protect it from the sharp edges of the sill.

I took off my driver's side sill when I first got my Z3 two years ago. I cleaned up everything underneath and applied fresh Bilt Hamber treatments, but there wasn't any rust to worry about, hence why I've still not got round to doing the passenger side.

A few pictures of the work in progress (the brown marks were just grease/oil):

The wheel arch cleaned up and clear Bilt Hamber wax applied:

Cleaned up the liner too and refitted:

Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Nice job, thanks for sharing... never heard of Bilt Hamber, how does it compare to Waxoyl?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

Checked up at my local Dealer today (Dundee BMW) as I will be needing an offside sill before too long. There are two in stock in the UK and 800 in Germany so they ain't gonna run out just yet.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Can you order them pre painted from BMW? The new modern paint I can see being as hard wearing as the new water based stuff if you have to get them sprayed up.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Cooper01 wrote:I think there is a guy making fibreglass sills. If you want me to get his details let me know
I'd be interested in these
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Alan W wrote:Nice job, thanks for sharing... never heard of Bilt Hamber, how does it compare to Waxoyl?
Way better IMHO. Often recommended on Detailing World and other websites. They do degreaser and waxes too which all work well (PS I don't have any connection with them, just pleased with the products I've used):

http://www.bilthamber.com/

I used the Dynax UC on the wheelarch and sill (inside the cover sill too) shown above, which dries clear.