Oil - which one ?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Oil - which one ?

Post by TJS »

I was checking the oil SAE viscosity grade in the owners manual (p.34) which highlighted a range of oils depending on outside operating range with thinner viscosity the colder the temperature.

SAE 20W-50 between -10c and 50c

SAE 15W-50 between -20c and 40c

SAE15W-40 between -20c and 30c

So what brand / viscosity are you using in your Z1 ? The Opie oils site recommends synthetic 5W-40 for the Z1.

I am currently using Mobil Super 2000 10W-40 semi-synthetic in both the Z1 and the TVR. The Z1 uses no oil while the TVR settles at 75% showing on the dipstick range, top it up and 100 miles later its back to 75% where it will happily stay.

TJS
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Oil - which one ?

Post by Cooper01 »

I believe 5W40 full synthetic is recommended however I would not be surprised if you get a variety of answers. Changing the oil on a regular basis to avoid sludge build up is best and you can use a mineral oil on a temp basis to use as a cleaning agent. Be sure to change the 2 small 0 rings in the oil filter area. Drain oil when warm and don't over tighten the drain plug. Have fun.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

Cooper01 wrote:I believe 5W40 full synthetic is recommended however I would not be surprised if you get a variety of answers. Changing the oil on a regular basis to avoid sludge build up is best and you can use a mineral oil on a temp basis to use as a cleaning agent. Be sure to change the 2 small 0 rings in the oil filter area. Drain oil when warm and don't over tighten the drain plug. Have fun.
I'm guessing your reply is directed towards the Z3? The Z1 doesn't have the 2 rubber O rings as it uses a spin-on filter - see http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/Z1/Eu ... il_filter/
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Sorry felix i should put on my glasses before replying to threads. Lol. I missed the z1 part.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Hey TJ,

it is covered here in detail

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... it=shc+oil

JB
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Fuchs full synthetic from Opie oils and you get a oil filter 'with a O ring as well'
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Hi J

I was thinking about engine oils rather than the gearbox, especially the modern thin synthetic oils for an engine designed 30 plus years ago. I am not too concerned with high mileage, longevity between oil changes given the low annual mileage, in fact the the car has averaged 1500 miles between services over 24k miles.
Regards

TJS
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

TJS,

I use Fuchs/Silkolene (depending on which day of the week it is and which brand they are pushing it seems) Pro S 5W40 in both the Z1 and the (older) CSL on Opie Oils' recommendation. I think it is a lovely oil and though the Z1 shows no particular preferences, the CSL definitely runs better with that oil than with any of my previous experiments (Castrol RS and Mobil 1 mainly).

The Pro R is a fully synthetic esther-based oil and I can't recommend it highly enough.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog