BMW alarm system

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

BMW alarm system

Post by lightning »

The build data for my Z3 claims that it has the alarm fitted ("302, alarm system, Thatcham 1" and "877, remote alarm setting only"). but l can find no trace of it. Although l do have a red light in the rear switch bank on the centre console.

Where is the unit fitted, and how is it normally armed? I guess l should first see if it is actually still on the car. I do have two keys which both have three buttons on, and they work, as in locking/unlocking the doors.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: BMW alarm system

Post by Robert T »

It is armed by locking the car with the remote. To test, lock with remote, open door with key - alarm will sound. Reset with remote or by putting key in ignition and turning to position II. If the hazards flash, but no sound, you may need a new siren. Next test the interior movement sensors by leaving window down, lock with remote, then put hand through open window as though to get something off the seat.

Cheers R.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

OK l tried this, the indicators flash but the siren does not work.

Can you tell me where the siren is located? It may be faulty or possibly disconnected.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

The siren can be turned off leaving just the indicators, there was a post on here a while ago showing the position of the siren
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not as far as I am aware it can't on the later alarm, Geoff. On the housebrick remote type, there is a key switch on the siren itself, but not on the one with the buttons on the key.

Never had a really good look at mine, but I believe the siren is located underneath the fusebox.

Cheers R.

Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Mine is the earlier one, when I picked the car up there was no sound when I armed it just the indicators flashed, when I took it in for a oil change I asked them to switch the audio warning on which they did so you could hear it as you locked/unlocked it. There were two small "keys" supplied with the main keys to turn the siren off. I think the siren on the pre-facelift is under the bonnet
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

so what is the red button for? I also have this but have never pressed it as by bricks no longer work, didn't want to trigger alarm with no way of silencing it :roll:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The red button is for disabling the interior movement sensors. It is also the LED that indicates the alarm is set. There is no button on the later alarm - you simply press the lock button on the key a second time and this disables both the interior sensors and the tilt switch.

Cheers R.

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

does the alarm set if I lock the doors with my key? I have never used the alarm, the bricks don't work, I tried changing the battery in the bricks (I have 2) to no avail. I have never seen the led button flash or my indicators flash, I didn't want to play around with it too much (wouldn't want to get stranded by the immobiliser). the guy I brought it from said the same thing, wonder if there is an issue with it that he didn't want to tell me about :?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No. On both alarm systems the alarm is only set by locking the car with the remote.

The immobiliser is more a part of the car than the alarm and on both alarm and systems functions independently of the alarm. It is always active and reads a separate chip in the key via an inductive loop in the ignition barrel. It needs no battery in the key to work.

Cheers R.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

littlefeller wrote:........ the bricks don't work, I tried changing the battery in the bricks (I have 2) to no avail. I have never seen the led button flash or my indicators flash, I didn't want to play around with it too much (wouldn't want to get stranded by the immobiliser). the guy I brought it from said the same thing, wonder if there is an issue with it that he didn't want to tell me about :?
Does the LED on the key fob light when you press the button? If yes then the fob is probably transmitting ok but may need re-programming - this may be of help http://zroadster.org/threads/3g-ews-rem ... ming.3384/
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

littlefeller wrote:does the alarm set if I lock the doors with my key? I have never used the alarm, the bricks don't work, I tried changing the battery in the bricks (I have 2) to no avail. I have never seen the led button flash or my indicators flash, I didn't want to play around with it too much (wouldn't want to get stranded by the immobiliser). the guy I brought it from said the same thing, wonder if there is an issue with it that he didn't want to tell me about :?
You just need to code the remots to the alarm - it's pretty easy.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

thanks guys, will give it a go 8-) and while im at it I can hide the wire for my glovebox light, two birds with one stone :lol: (though you cant actually see the wire, I know its there :evil: )