INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DIAL ALTERNATIVES.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DIAL ALTERNATIVES.

Post by Southernboy »

On my '97 2.8, I changed the dial faces to white, and which I quite liked. I would have preferred a more "retro" cream colour with the usual black numerals etc. but at the time I couldn't find anyone doing other than white. I have subsequently found the guys (link :- http://www.wunschtacho.de/produkte/tach ... igung.html) who will do anything asked of them. I have looked through their "standard" catalogue, and the options there are interesting and includes Blue faces amongst other options. They also have a "special" request option where one can send an email to them describing the prefered colour etc. Ideally I would like the sort of cream colour one used to get in the Jag MkII's on the old Jaeger dials, and I would equally like the same "aircraft" dial appearance which came with those faces. I have sent them an enquiry in that regard, and will be interested to see what they can achieve.
Anyone else looking to "personalize" their dials should have a look see what they offer as "standard", or even put through an enquiry. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DIAL ALTERNATIVES.

Post by deni2s »

Thanks for the link! The most interesting dials designs are here. I like the numbers in italic on dials (like on image) - it gives some more decent and "speedy" look and definitely adds a few horsepowers to the car.

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... what I like is that you can have any type style you want or anything else too... just provide them with the details and they will do it for you... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

I checked them out, they have some really nice looking panels in there!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I sent them these images to work from... I have asked for the same "style" and colours...

"Normal is overrated"

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Southernboy wrote:On my '97 2.8, I changed the dial faces to white, and which I quite liked. I would have preferred a more "retro" cream colour with the usual black numerals etc. but at the time I couldn't find anyone doing other than white. I have subsequently found the guys (link :- http://www.wunschtacho.de/produkte/tach ... igung.html) who will do anything asked of them. I have looked through their "standard" catalogue, and the options there are interesting and includes Blue faces amongst other options. They also have a "special" request option where one can send an email to them describing the prefered colour etc. Ideally I would like the sort of cream colour one used to get in the Jag MkII's on the old Jaeger dials, and I would equally like the same "aircraft" dial appearance which came with those faces. I have sent them an enquiry in that regard, and will be interested to see what they can achieve.
Anyone else looking to "personalize" their dials should have a look see what they offer as "standard", or even put through an enquiry. :wink:
Do you run km/h dials in SA? If so, do you want to sell me your old dial face?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep... it's all decimal here... Are you looking for an OEM black K/ph dial face? I'll need to see what these guys come up with first and how it's applied etc... if it means I can remove the OEM black face then I'll let you know. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Southernboy wrote:Yep... it's all decimal here... Are you looking for an OEM black K/ph dial face? I'll need to see what these guys come up with first and how it's applied etc... if it means I can remove the OEM black face then I'll let you know. :wink:
Yes, that's exactly what I want. When I imported the car to the uk, it was km/h, and the people prepping it for the SVA changed the dialface to a white mph one.

Now we live in france I want to change it back, but the sva prep guy lost the original face :(
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

OK... I'll let you know what transpires... Hopefully in the next few weeks.
"Normal is overrated"

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Out of interest, in a previous life I designed instruments. I did this car (well all 340 of them actually)

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... that's cool.... maybe you should be designing "special" dial faces for the guys here... :D
"Normal is overrated"

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Southernboy wrote:...... that's cool.... maybe you should be designing "special" dial faces for the guys here... :D
It's possible, but I don't have access to a manufacturer. They need to be able to screen print on polycarbonate, and stamp out the printed faces.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

A laser cutter could do instead of a special die ?? ...and printers are easy enough to find.... I recently had some polycarbon laser cut... I made a template, they scanned it and then sent me a CAD drawing which I then "cleaned up" on my drawing program - sent it back to them and 10 mins later the items were cut...
As an aside, I dropped off the amber headlight lenses at a 3D printer a couple of weeks back for molds to be made... he used a laser scanner to get the items onto his printer, and then used that digital scan to make the templates for the molds by printing them... I just love the things we can do do now with such ease... :D
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

how about using decal type vinyl?
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Vinyl is too flexible and not stable with temperature.

There is more to doing these faces than you think, and care must be taken.