this looks beautiful! 18k miles!

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

this looks beautiful! 18k miles!

Post by chill4x4saph »

this looks absolutely beautiful! and so it should with that mileage!! (nothing to do with me btw I just spotted it on PH)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... es/2570292
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: this looks beautiful! 18k miles!

Post by Z3cade »

Only worth buying if you plan to stick it in a garage and not use it imo
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Yes it's lovely and the mileage is superb but as we all know not necessarily for the good of the car. And £18000, really!! :?:

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

M roadster prices are on the rise. Good investments if kept in top condition
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Despite not being run in - hopefully had an oil change since 1999 :D
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

with the difficulty in getting some of the parts for our z's ive found lately I think its becoming time that more people gave serious thought to putting them away! (especially M versions due to their rarity, even when compared to other rare M cars!) have you seen the prices people are wanting for m coupes these days?!?!? (and I can assure you from experience that an m roadster and an m coupe drive exactly the same!, in fact personally id rather have a roady......, and not just because you can take the hood down!

for a car in that condition, that rare, with that low mileage, when compared with other cars with similar attributes and rarity I personally think its cheap.

in fact im surprised that more of the roadster owning community don't feel the same!

but hey ho we are all entitled to our opinions.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

It is lovely, but what would you do with it?

Keep it cacooned away hoping that it would become an investment? You'd have to wait a long time to see a return on £18k.

Drive it and it becomes just another M (so to speak :) )
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

so basically you think the entire classic car market is a complete waste of time then?
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Absolute bargain when you consider what it cost new and all for the price of a new Focus or equivalent which in a couple of years would be worth less than half of it's new price!!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Crisp and lovely. Well worth the money to the right buyer.
There can't be many in that condition in existence, even S50s.

Simple answer is, you need TWO....
One to cocoon in a time capsule like this one, and one to RAG THE ARSE OFF... :twisted:

A.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

chill4x4saph wrote:so basically you think the entire classic car market is a complete waste of time then?
Not at all and that is not what I've written.

The secret of classic car investment is to buy cheap and sell for lots. But then that is the same for all investments isn't it? Here you would be buying at the very pinnacle of Z3M prices which I'd suggest is not the best way to make money on the car if that was to be your intention.

This car certainly is not cheap and you could argue that it is way overpriced for what it is. As much as we may love our Zeds, they are not universally admired and not necessarily seen by all as being of classic status.

If you were to buy this particular M at £18k you are going to have to wait an awfully long time before you can hope to sell it on at a decent profit. It is already priced very optimistically for an M, even a very low mileage one. You could always hope that someone with more money than sense will buy it off you or you could keep it in pristine condition for the next 10/15/20 years

I currently own two classic cars. One of which I have owned for 17 years and the value has easily tripled within that time. However, the reality is that if I were to sell, I probably would not have made much, if any, profit because of the maintenance and upkeep in keeping the car over such a period.

My philosophy for what it is worth, is that you should buy a car because you like it and want to use it, not because you see it as an investment (unless of course you have a wallet thick enough to buy real exotica). If over time the value of your car goes up then that is a bonus.

You may disagree, others may too and that is your prerogative. We all are different :)
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

TR4man wrote:
chill4x4saph wrote:so basically you think the entire classic car market is a complete waste of time then?
Not at all and that is not what I've written.

The secret of classic car investment is to buy cheap and sell for lots. But then that is the same for all investments isn't it? Here you would be buying at the very pinnacle of Z3M prices which I'd suggest is not the best way to make money on the car if that was to be your intention.

This car certainly is not cheap and you could argue that it is way overpriced for what it is. As much as we may love our Zeds, they are not universally admired and not necessarily seen by all as being of classic status.

If you were to buy this particular M at £18k you are going to have to wait an awfully long time before you can hope to sell it on at a decent profit. It is already priced very optimistically for an M, even a very low mileage one. You could always hope that someone with more money than sense will buy it off you or you could keep it in pristine condition for the next 10/15/20 years

I currently own two classic cars. One of which I have owned for 17 years and the value has easily tripled within that time. However, the reality is that if I were to sell, I probably would not have made much, if any, profit because of the maintenance and upkeep in keeping the car over such a period.

My philosophy for what it is worth, is that you should buy a car because you like it and want to use it, not because you see it as an investment (unless of course you have a wallet thick enough to buy real exotica). If over time the value of your car goes up then that is a bonus.

You may disagree, others may too and that is your prerogative. We all are different :)

I think youre mistaking what I meant.

most people in my experience that buy classic cars don't necessarily make profit, they buy something that they like to have their money in, perhaps use a little for a few years and then sell on and own something else for a while, not really making money or losing either.
ive met very very few classic car owners that try and put mileage on their vehicles (which is what I meant!)

the point you are making is to weather or not its an investment!, well if you are buying anything as an investment youd be better investing in many more things than cars (despite a few respected journals recently claiming otherwise.) imo.
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Not sure about the grey leather and the chrome windscreen surround.

Other than that, fantastic.

Tags
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

It is a bargin compared to the two M coupes on Autotrader at the min...
One has 23k on the clock the other 35k both priced to sell at £39,850 :O

Think I'm going to put my price up to 20k
dw1985

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dw1985 »

beautiful, an absolute minter! best colour too!
My Zeemer: 1998 BMW Z3 1.9 Atlanta Blue
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Z3cade wrote:It is a bargin compared to the two M coupes on Autotrader at the min... One has 23k on the clock the other 35k both priced to sell at £39,850 :OThink I'm going to put my price up to 20k
That is their asking price and it will be interesting to see if they are still for sale at that price in a year from now! If they do sell for near that price you probably can get away with a price hike. It will be interesting to see what happens. Can you 'follow' the sale on Autotrader?
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

Cooper01 wrote:
That is their asking price and it will be interesting to see if they are still for sale at that price in a year from now! If they do sell for near that price you probably can get away with a price hike. It will be interesting to see what happens. Can you 'follow' the sale on Autotrader?

to be fair theres been two or three lowish mile coupes sold for that money recently (and sold very quickly, like two days quickly!!)

the coupe lads don't talk the prices of their cars down like some of the roadster people though! (which may help.)
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

chill4x4saph wrote:the coupe lads don't talk the prices of their cars down like some of the roadster people though!
Yeah, I've never understood that on this forum. :puzzle:
Most folks on here already own their cars, so what's the point of knocking people who ask a decent price?
The ///Ms (especially) are rare cars and they are already starting to appreciate in value.
Just don't be silly enough to gamble your pension fund on it...!

A.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

M Coupes are selling for silly money. There is a guy who posted on PH as being the person who bought Frank Sytner's old M Coupe (11,000 miles) for between £30k-£40k. I saw the car at the dealership in Nottingham. It was shiny in all the places that a normal person looks and was full AC Schnitzer, but not more than average underneath.

I think that anyone who knows what to look for (and have seen top quality cars on here) will be disappointed when they inspect these cars.

Condition is more important than mileage, unless you are a car dealer.
Pingu
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

One to buy and use as a "show car" l think.

Prices for the best Ford Capri 2.8's are creeping past £10,000 now. The classic market has gone mad. I saw a Mini Cooper S sell for £56,000 last week.

It does make the Z3 3.0 Sport seem rather good value at £3000-6000. (Nice silver one on ebay at the moment BIN £3500)