New Burgundy Hood Fitted :o)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

New Burgundy Hood Fitted :o)

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

Just thought I would share a few pics of the Zeds new hood fitted today by Paul of the Softtopshop, Tags posted some pics of his M being done by the same company last weekend. The original factory hood was black but decided on the burgundy as this is the colour combination I've always longed for since originally looking for a Zed in 2008.

I'd arranged to have a full hood fitted with new lining but when Paul inspected the orginal he said it was perfect which saved me an extra 400 quid. Can't praise Paul highly enough, he took great care of the Zed, cleaned and lubricated all the hinges and retensioned the springs and was very professional and left the Zed clean and tidy. All in all took around 4 and half hours and really pleased now with how the Zed looks :) The old hood whilst still in good nick on the bits you could see it was starting to get a little ropey where it was attached to rear bulkhead.

If anyone is thinking of having their hood replaced I can highly recommend Paul. Company is based in Stockport but for the petrol money will travel down as far as Birmingham.

Hot day for it though :colourful:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New Burgundy Hood Fitted :o)

Post by freds dad »

Looks good Tim.

What did he charge you to do what he did? He's only up the road from me so may call him and ask him to have a look at a couple of niggles with my roof.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

freds dad wrote:Looks good Tim.

What did he charge you to do what he did? He's only up the road from me so may call him and ask him to have a look at a couple of niggles with my roof.
Thanks Fred, total cost was £650, the burgundy is slightly more than the black or blue hoods. If you want the lining as well it's £1050. Quality is equal if not better than the original hood.

Tim.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Looks really nice and much more up-market than a black hood.

I guess you'll now have to have the upholstery burgundy coloured as well to match :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Looks great. These burgundy hoods seem to look particularly good on red, silver or black cars. Silver cars seem to look good with blue, black or burgundy hoods. Looking to get my hood (silver car) replaced and I'm confused with the choice now :D
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I live four miles from Stockport. I might get him to fit a new rear window, as my hood is fine apart from that.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Del wrote:Looks great. These burgundy hoods seem to look particularly good on red, silver or black cars. Silver cars seem to look good with blue, black or burgundy hoods. Looking to get my hood (silver car) replaced and I'm confused with the choice now :D
I've always liked the red on silver look as it looks a step above the black slightly, just looks nicer.

Tim.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I like that a lot! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

That looks absolutely fabulous Tim, you should be very proud. I think I will contact him when I'm ready and ask if he can do a green one for my Oxford Green car. If he can at a similar price he gets my vote. If he can come as far south as Brum he may be tempted to get to Lincoln?

Cheers, Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Davejue1 wrote:I like that a lot! :)

Cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave :)

Tim.
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by charliebigpotato83 »

LOVE that! Great choice.

I'd like a blue hood for my car but that's going to have to wait until the current one falls apart or starts leaking!!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

t-tony wrote:That looks absolutely fabulous Tim, you should be very proud. I think I will contact him when I'm ready and ask if he can do a green one for my Oxford Green car. If he can at a similar price he gets my vote. If he can come as far south as Brum he may be tempted to get to Lincoln?

Cheers, Tony.
Thanks Tony. He doesn't list any green hoods but worth asking, unsure where the hoods are sourced but they're high quality.

Tim.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Cheers for that Tim it still will be worth talking to him anyway. Yours looks awesome mate.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

TitanTim wrote:
t-tony wrote:That looks absolutely fabulous Tim, you should be very proud. I think I will contact him when I'm ready and ask if he can do a green one for my Oxford Green car. If he can at a similar price he gets my vote. If he can come as far south as Brum he may be tempted to get to Lincoln?

Cheers, Tony.
Tony, I've seen a Boston Green with a lighter green roof a few times not far from where I live and it's looks great, IMHO I think having a roof the same colour (not shade) looks brill, when I get round to changing mine it will be going blue. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Best colour on the silver car...I'm sure you can't help driving with the roof up at the moment... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Looks very nice, a good choice of colour, and also a very neat and tidy job done by the look of things. :thumb:
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

t-tony wrote:Cheers for that Tim it still will be worth talking to him anyway. Yours looks awesome mate.
Thanks Tony, I'm sure a green hood could be sourced, hopefully so :)

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Southernboy wrote:Best colour on the silver car...I'm sure you can't help driving with the roof up at the moment... :D
lol thanks Barry, I can't have the roof down anyways for a few days as the sealant has to cure etc :|

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

lordhelpus wrote:Looks very nice, a good choice of colour, and also a very neat and tidy job done by the look of things. :thumb:
Cheers, I think when choosing a fitter it has to be done on recommendation as its a fairly skilled process. When chatting to the fitter it sounds like a job that can be easily bodged, not using sealant etc.

Tim.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Davejue1 wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Cheers, Tony.
Tony, I've seen a Boston Green with a lighter green roof a few times not far from where I live and it's looks great, IMHO I think having a roof the same colour (not shade) looks brill, when I get round to changing mine it will be going blue. :)

Cheers
Dave
Cheers for that Dave. Next time you see it get a photo and then you could show me.lol.
Only joking mate.
But it's nice to know someone thinks the same as me re colour coded roof..

Cheers ,Tony.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

By far the best colour for a silver Z3.
charliebigpotato83 wrote:LOVE that! Great choice.

I'd like a blue hood for my car but that's going to have to wait until the current one falls apart or starts leaking!!
I'm in the same boat. I want a blue top, but can't justify spending any money as there is nothing wrong with mine.

I wonder if he'll do a discount for two - and does anyone want to buy a black roof?
Pingu
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by charliebigpotato83 »

Mine does have a repair on the top, about the size of a penny, but the rest of it is great. The last owner had stuck two pads on the rear corners where they wear to stop this happening, so it doesn't have the usual bald spots. I did take the pads off, but put them back on again because I'm a skin-flint :)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

looks great on silver, looks more upmarket too. I think coloured hoods do change the whole appearance of any convertible. good price 8-)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Tim,

Your new hood looks really smart, totally transforms the look if your Z, good colour choice :thumb:

Brian
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Brian H wrote:Tim,

Your new hood looks really smart, totally transforms the look if your Z, good colour choice :thumb:

Brian
Thanks Brian, its quite a strange feeling as you get used to how your car looks and then simply changing the hood colour makes it feel like a new Zed :)

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote: simply changing the hood colour makes it feel like a new Zed :)
Why? has it started rattling.......? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

It looks absolutely terrific and I'm very tempted to go for a blue one come spring next year.

It's not a zip in window though. Can it be replaced if needs be?

Mark
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

That looks really good Tim. Bet you're glad you didn't sell it now, I reckon now you have your super new roof your Zed is a keeper, with no thoughts of selling it. :)
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Tufarlian wrote:It looks absolutely terrific and I'm very tempted to go for a blue one come spring next year.

It's not a zip in window though. Can it be replaced if needs be?

Mark
Thanks Mark, yes the screen is sewn in, I'm guessing thats a good thing in some ways but a little harder to replace. The fitter did say it can be done by an upholsterer with a long reach sewing machine :|

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Ragtop wrote:That looks really good Tim. Bet you're glad you didn't sell it now, I reckon now you have your super new roof your Zed is a keeper, with no thoughts of selling it. :)
Thanks alot, I couldn't sell the Z3 in the end, its a car that I've always felt at one with, comfortable to drive and feels like a glove, whereas my Z4 never quite gelled with me plus its a car thats just too complicated to keep long term out of warranty, roof etc so it was the one to go. I doubt very much I will ever sell the Z3 now, its not worth a great amount and a shame to sell it for a couple of Ks.

Tim.