Why bother. !!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Why bother. !!!

Post by lordhelpus »

I know this probably should not be in this forum, but does anybody else do this when your out in your Z3. Notice the number of convertibles running about (all types) with their roofs UP !!! In this glorious weather we are having at the mo..... Why do they bother having a soft top.?? I always feel like shouting at them,
"GET THE ROOF DOWN" AAAARRRRGHHHH :shrug
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
pgunter66

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Why bother. !!!

Post by pgunter66 »

I used to think that till I got my z3. If I am heading on the motorway for a distance it's deafening with the hood down or if it's a run to the shops and back..

Now I just think.. Your loss.. I am enjoying it !!
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

On a similar topic

why do people drive with the roof down and all the windows up?

in my triumph if i do that i would be deaf by the end of the journey

on the z3 i did a test roof down windows down wind breaker down all was ok

roof down wind breaker down windows up deafening hair all over the place ( still got some, might be gray but still there)

roof down wind breaker up windows up was ok but not as good as all down.

so the conclusion for me : roof down, wind breaker down, windows down and a car with the convertible lines that it should be. Image
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

We drove to Wales and back yesterday, normally this takes 90 minutes each way but it took over three hours.
Traffic was crawling along and the temperature approached thirty degrees.

Eventually we just got too hot, and l had to put the hood up for a while, with the aircon on.
I could see the funny looks from some people!

As soon as we cleared the traffic l stopped and put the hood down again.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

stevie_a wrote:On a similar topic

why do people drive with the roof down and all the windows up?

in my triumph if i do that i would be deaf by the end of the journey

on the z3 i did a test roof down windows down wind breaker down all was ok

roof down wind breaker down windows up deafening hair all over the place ( still got some, might be gray but still there)

roof down wind breaker up windows up was ok but not as good as all down.

so the conclusion for me : roof down, wind breaker down, windows down and a car with the convertible lines that it should be. Image
It's OK until you get above 50mph. I did the "everything down" thing when I first got a convertible, turned my head and my glasses hit the windscreen with the windrush :shock: .

In the Z3, any journey less than 20 minutes and the roof stays up. In the Smart, if it's too hot, the air con comes on and the roof stays shut until it's cool, then the roof opens (at any speed). In the E46, the roof stays shut with air con on, then if it's worth it, I'll stop and drop the roof.

The Z is a PITA, because it has to be stopped and it takes a lot of faffing to avoid damaging the rear screen. Perhaps, other cars are the same.
Pingu
charliebigpotato83

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by charliebigpotato83 »

I agree with you there! Before I had my first convertible (and I wanted one soooo bad) I used to get really frustrated at people with their roofs up and even have a little rant to myself! Now I've had the Z for 6 months though, I've gone from having it down for every little trip to keeping it up most of the time because it's just too damned hot (and my poor baldy scalp can't take the sun!). I'm lucky to be one of the few with aircon so it's not much of a bother.

As for windows down - noooooo! I think convertibles look odd with the windows down, and it's much more windy. I think the Z3 looks like a shoe with them down :?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Roof down and windows down.

Roof down no matter how short the journey, weather permitting.
It can get too hot sometimes in traffic so I use the aircon.

The roof on this one is always down, so are the windows :)

Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Just drove to Silverstone from Durham with the top down all the way over 3 hours and it was great with the nice warm weather. I don't think I could have travelled all that way with the roof up as I don't have air con.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Why should it matter what other people do with their own property?

If they want to drive with the hood up, it's their business and no-one else's.

I suppose that by the same token you are frustrated by people who drive cars with radios fitted but don't always have them turned on? Or drivers who don't use the aircon when it is fitted to their cars?

As a matter of fact I always drive my Z with the roof up when I'm going to work because I don't want to arrive with a hairstyle like Ken Dodd. But that's my choice any nothing to do with anyone else.
Last edited by TR4man on Sun 27 Jul, 2014 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I have a mate who nearly wets himself with anger when he sees a top up on a nice day....it's hilarious!! :D . I know where he's coming from, but as has been said, it's your car and how you wish the car to look is b*g**r all to do with anyone else! However, my choice weather permitting is top down, windows down (windows up for the wife...hair and all that :queen: ) and further more in this hot weather wind deflector down. Surely having your hair ruffled is all part of the open top sports car experience. Yeah, short squirts to the shops and the usual motorway traffic jams is even a time when I might leave top up......but I will try and avoid these situations if possible. Everyman to him/her self I reckon, but do make the most of this super weather :thumb:

Last edited by Koolflyer on Sun 27 Jul, 2014 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My wife has long hair, and we found that at over about 30mph in the Z3, her curls would whip her in the face.
Sure, a pony tail or similar would solve the issue, but she prefers to have her hair down. And afterwards it took ages to untangle...and l had to do it as it was "my fault" etc

Anyway, since l got the wind deflector (the mesh type one) her hair behaves itself, well pretty much anyway.
So it's hood down, windows up, and wind deflector fitted for us.

I was astonished at the difference the wind deflector made, as you could see through it l was not convinced it would do much good.

When l am out in the car on my own, l don't bother with the wind deflector and the windows stay down, unless l want to reduce noise from trucks etc passing in the other direction (on A roads for example)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It's usually roof down, deflector and windows up in the zed, unless it is really warm, then the driver's window goes down to generate a bit of a breeze. I don't have aircon, so putting the roof up is only an option if it's raining. I've given up caring about my back window, so the roof can be put down/put up in 10 secs at the traffic lights or by pulling in somewhere safe.

The Sprite is a different matter, as it takes several minutes to do the roof, and a bit longer if I take the side-screens out as well. I have no wind deflector, so my gf will either have to tie her hair back or take a brush with her. :D

Was glorious today in the Sprite - lunchtime bbq with friends - an hours run each way. :sunny

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I actually find driving in very hot weather in full sun a bit unpleasant if I'm honest lol, I don't tan and can catch the sun bad at times so I find cloudy days or crisp winter days the best for me. Like Robert I don't have air con so depends on the drive. For some reason in the E89 I had real problems with sun glare even with wearing sunglasses which at times was so bad I had get the roof up as I was driving blind, strangely I don't have the same problem in the Z3 so wonder if its the screen angle.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

Passed one yesterday top up so I shouted to her get yer top off its a z , wasn't the best of looks she gave me :shock:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

My roof is for rain and washing. If I want to drive with a roof up, I take the hatchback and put the aircon on.

The Zed takes 10 seconds to put it down and I can reach behind the hoops whist in the drivers seat to make sure it folds correctly, so even short journeys its down.
I once pulled out of my drive to two women walking past saying "it's not that warm". That was in June!
No aircon however (unlike the wife's :head: ) hers is great with the roof down blowing chilled air on my face and arms.. (wonder if I can retrofit one to mine..)
If it's "too hot" my windows come down.

Also I put the tonneau on if the forecast is dry, just cleans up the lines with an estoril blue cover.. :D

Hot sunny days are so rare, that there is no way the roof is staying up, especially because its down even in winter.
Last edited by gookah on Sun 27 Jul, 2014 20:37, edited 3 times in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

TitanTim wrote:I actually find driving in very hot weather in full sun a bit unpleasant if I'm honest lol, I don't tan and can catch the sun bad at times so I find cloudy days or crisp winter days the best for me. Like Robert I don't have air con so depends on the drive. For some reason in the E89 I had real problems with sun glare even with wearing sunglasses which at times was so bad I had get the roof up as I was driving blind, strangely I don't have the same problem in the Z3 so wonder if its the screen angle.

Tim.

Tim, put some sun lotion on, wear a hat and take off your slingback driving gloves, you give us convertible drivers a bad name..... :D

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Chiefy

blank

Post by Chiefy »

I'm not really bothered what other people do but my soft top is permanently down for most of the year unless it's raining - commuting - touring - whatever - that's what I bought it for...
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

Chiefy wrote:I'm not really bothered what other people do but my soft top is permanently down for most of the year unless it's raining - commuting - touring - whatever - that's what I bought it for...

same :) my z is a solo affair as my wife's hair is too important to get all ruffled :lol: I even drive to work with the roof down (inc winter if its dry :twisted: )
drivers window is down so I can have a fag. all previous cars were no smoking as it ruins the interior, but now it doesn't matter as there's no roof. must try and give up again :evil: on a plus side, my son inlaw has somehow convinced his wife of the merits of a z3 :lol: so will be on the lookout for one.
paulwirral

blank

Post by paulwirral »

Exactly , I drove from the dordogne in France up to the ring in June , with 2 minor detours I was roof off for nearly 11 hours in a z4 with windows down and no deflector , that's what a convertable is for .
I then did 4 laps of the ring and by the time I got back to the hotel I felt like I'd had my head kicked in :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Having the roof down in hot sunshine only requires a golf cap to protect your head from the sun, the air-con on and directed at your feet... windows up or down is quite immaterial... but a wind deflector (OEM) does reduce the wind from behind. I wear a golf cap sun or no sun... wind burn is as relevant as sunburn, and the combination of both will punish any exposed body parts. Common sense says that if you're doing 70mph for hours in bright warm sunshine you are going to suffer... the perspiration on your arms and face will aid the process of "cooking".... So, get prepared adequately and enjoy the drive. :wink: :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

I live by the same rules as the "old timers" of the board from the Z runs of the early days. As long as it isn't raining, hot or cold weather, the roof is down. The exception being, winter, when it's cold, I wait for the back window to warm up before the roof comes down. Then, heated seats, hot blowers if needed, fantastic.

My preference is roof down windows up with wind deflector (clear abs, not oem).

Just been to Anglesey and back, fab run. I even past a estriol ///M this morning on the M6.

Tags
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I was out the other night, it was about 6pm and still 27ºc, and I had the hood up, I was taking the car round the block after using Gummi Pflege on all the rubber seals. To my horror as I was coming back onto my street I saw another Z coming the other way!
He gave me a wave, which was nice, but I felt a bit embarrassed that I had the hood up on such a lovely evening just pootling along. :lol:

I find hood down, windows closed and wind deflector up is the quietest and least blowy.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Off out for two hours - top down, windows up, wind deflector in place :D .

If anybody sees me :wave
Pingu
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Roof down everytime for me, (I don't play out in the rain!) wind deflector up and dependant on temperature windows up or down, down preferably! :drive

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Pulled up aside another silver Z3 today in Telford, with its roof up and windows down...... :head:
Mistreatment like this means the owners should be banned from keeping convertibles for life... :D
There is no excuse, give it to someone who appreciates it fully.. :devil:

pgunter66

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pgunter66 »

Mine has heated seats so even in the middle of winter with those blue clear skies the top can be down..
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Now guys, you know there's only one way to drive when the temperature gets a bit too hot to handle, as demonstrated by this young lady:

That's correct ... hood down, side screens down, deflector up. The deflector can be mesh or perspex, depending on your own personal taste. Did i miss anything? :D

I'll get my coat now...
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Blimey! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

There's a 2nd photo, taken a few seconds later, where she doesn't look too happy being photographed. I don't know why, people in Zs get photo'd all the time :) .
Pingu
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Cracking wonderloaf....man after my own heart!......and I dare say most of the others on here! In this little weather beaten island we only get a few months of proper summer weather, so like that young lady.....get ya tops down and stop pussy footing :D
Last edited by Koolflyer on Mon 28 Jul, 2014 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

It took me ages to persuade Mrs W to drive the car like that .....
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

.....yeah right! :thumb:
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

gookah wrote:Pulled up aside another silver Z3 today in Telford, with its roof up and windows down...... :head:
You normally wave, did you not recognise me? :head:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

that has got to be one of the all time classic photographs of the Z3...... pity you felt obliged to censor it though.... :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Guys, I would drive in freezing weather but the back window has to be warm if the temp is 10 or under or it may crack. No problem but when it comes time to put the hood back up its going to be freezing cold while tucked away right? Then it would crack? Or, does it somehow stay warm when folded from the exhaust or something?

Let me know please!

Cooper
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Southernboy wrote:that has got to be one of the all time classic photographs of the Z3...... pity you felt obliged to censor it though.... :sunny
I know we have female members on the forum so was just trying to show some sensitivity towards them .... probably failed miserably! :dunce:
If you want to see the full un-censored version Google is your friend ...use some choice words such as 'z3', 'nude' etc.... just be prepared for what you see, it's mostly completely z3 un-related :shock:
Pep

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pep »

There's a point at which rain is so heavy the water moved by my wipers forms a small torrent at the top of the windscreen and unfortunately the wind takes it directly into my face.

In any other weather I'm a top-down man.

I've driven across the M62 in -10 degrees temps during a blizzard. I've travelled from Manchester to our Liverpool office many times in sub -10 weather aided by heated seats, a scarf and a trapper hat. If it's not p*ssing it down I have the roof down and if it's not dark I'm wearing sunglasses.

However, if I'm going to be over 50mph for any time I'll have the windows up because both Paverotti and Half Man Half Biscuit sound better that way.

I bought a convertible to drive with the top down!
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Pavarotti and Half man half biscuit........what a combination :D
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Gazza wrote:Roof down and windows down.

Roof down no matter how short the journey, weather permitting.
It can get too hot sometimes in traffic so I use the aircon.

The roof on this one is always down, so are the windows :)

Hi Gazza. Nice Stang!!!!!!!! Are they genuine Cragar Mags? What year ( I am guessing a 57/58 ) NO NO NO 67 - 68) (Thank you Rafolian) and motor is in her?
Last edited by ARoosterinaRoadster on Tue 05 Aug, 2014 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

wonderloaf wrote:Now guys, you know there's only one way to drive when the temperature gets a bit too hot to handle, as demonstrated by this young lady:

That's correct ... hood down, side screens down, deflector up. The deflector can be mesh or perspex, depending on your own personal taste. Did i miss anything? :D

I'll get my coat now...
Hi wonderloaf. Yes, that is how I use mine but I have drawn a line at the bikini!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as I am not into drag and mine is a RH drive.
It was a pal of mine (with more money than me ) that has an SLK 230 that suggested that I drive in this mode.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Mustang poss '67-'68? Didn't start making them until 1964.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Rafolian wrote:Mustang poss '67-'68? Didn't start making them until 1964.
Hi Rafolian Yes they were first made in March of 64 and rolled of the production line in April of 64.

It was a typo error and a need to visit SpecSavers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!