Anti roll bar advice.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Anti roll bar advice.

Post by Pierrick »

Hi all. I need some advice...

Today I fitted some powerflex bushes on my car. The bushes which are going onto the lollipop to hold the front arms.
I did a quick test drive a I think they made a difference (will confirm later).

So now I'm thinking about changing the anti roll bar bushes, the links and maybe the anti roll bar itself.

So here is my thinking:
I'll get the anti roll bar bushes from powerflex at 33£.

Then I don't really know about the links. I could buy any brand from euro car parts (2x17£ or 2x11£) and change the bushes by some powerflex ones (34£), so a total of around 65£.

Or meyle are selling some links for 25£:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES- ... 23318e99d2

Meyle are known to have some good quality products, so I could keep them like that or even add the powerflex bushes.
So a total of 25 or 60£.

And then maybe change the anti roll bar itself... not sure about this as I'm not a fast driver! Is it really worth having a bigger anti roll bar?

So if you have any advice you are welcome.

Thanks.
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Anti roll bar advice.

Post by Bowler »

Went down the powerflex route, strut brace etc. all helped but the biggest difference to the handling by far was the Tyres. Running Falcons now made a big improvement
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Ok, thanks bowler.
I've seen a few posts on the forum about how the tires can chenge the handeling.
This is something I'll hve to look at when I'll change mine.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

If you are looking to cure tramlining there isn’t much evidence to suggest that renewing the droplinks will help.

However, if you are generally “refreshing” your suspension, then replacing the original droplinks is a good idea. In my experience the solid rubber bushes in the droplinks degrade, crack and shrink over time resulting in non-smooth operation of the anti-roll bars (ARBs) with clinking/knocking noises. The front droplinks also have a ball-joint at the point where they connect to the ARB which would not be refreshed by just replacing the lower rubber bush with a polyurethane one.

Droplinks are relatively cheap and the standard rubber bushes are made of a solid, hard rubber compound and I don’t see that polyurethane necessarily provides a significant improvement on these.

Other forum members might disagree, but in my own view, the biggest handling improvement is achieved by refreshing old, worn shock absorbers and not by fitting thicker ARBs. The 1.9 is relatively light and if you do not use the car on a track or drive it fast around roads, I don’t see the point in fitting sportier ARBs.

If you fit new droplinks you may find that the vertical 13mm “collar nuts” attaching them to the suspension and the horizontal nuts/bolts joining the lower droplink bushes to the brackets, have badly rusted and deteriorated and should also be renewed.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ditto the advice from Del..... Shocks are probably the biggest single handling issue, followed by tyres. My preference is for a softer rubber compound tyre. They may not last as long as other harder options, but provide smoother handling and a more comfortable ride. Tyre pressure is the next big issue. Unless you're undertaking a high speed long journey with some extra load, it isn't necessary to have the tyres inflated to the 2.2 bar (on my 3.0). If you drop the pressure to 2.0 it will be more comfortable, reduce the tram lining effect and also feel a lot more more comfortable. If you are loading the car and will be doing highway speeds, then inflate the tyres accordingly. Tyres are the first point of overall suspension. They absorb the smallest bumps of the road, followed by the shocks which control the free movement of the suspension springs by dampening the travel over larger road inconsistencies. Finally the suspension arms and their bushes provide directional stability to upward / downward of the entire wheel.
The steering matrix joints are equally important and should all be well bushed. I don't believe having harder bushes are a positive. Meyle are very good replacement parts and economical compared to BMW OEM. My experience with Meyle has been quite satisfactory... a set of rear shock mounts I replaced on my previous 2.8 were still perfect after 8 years. Engine drive belts, steering bushes, drive shaft (prop shaft) rubber coupling, radiator hoses etc all from Meyle and all excellent quality.
You might also be well advised to have the steering / wheel alignment re-checked and set, especially with older tyres. Finally, it is also important to consider wheel bearings. They are easy to check by raising the car, then grip the wheel at the top and bottom and push / pull. If there is any slightest movement, it will indicate severely worn bearings. ( you can buy replacements from Meyle of these too)
One small observation you can make. If your tyres show significant wear in the center of the tread, you are inflating too high, if they show significantly greater wear on the outer edges, you are inflating too low (or cornering too fast).
Ultimately one's personal driving style / preference will impact on the responses from the car, so bear in mind that cornering slightly slower will greatly extend tyre life - especially to the fronts, and accelerating from standstill a little less aggressively will extend the life of rear tyres significantly. The Z3 isn't the fastes car or the slowest, so rather than pretend you are behind the wheel of a "supercar", simply enjoy the Z3 for what it really is - a reasonably powerful roadster designed for cruising, but with the capability to handle somewhat sportier driving than a bus.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Southernboy wrote:Ultimately one's personal driving style / preference will impact on the responses from the car, so bear in mind that cornering slightly slower will greatly extend tyre life - especially to the fronts, and accelerating from standstill a little less aggressively will extend the life of rear tyres significantly. The Z3 isn't the fastes car or the slowest, so rather than pretend you are behind the wheel of a "supercar", simply enjoy the Z3 for what it really is - a reasonably powerful roadster designed for cruising, but with the capability to handle somewhat sportier driving than a bus.... :wink:
I can't agree fully with that. Regarding cornering - right way to corner is to break before the corner and going thru corner with acceleration. It's not so important how fast you are going in the corner, as how fast you are going out of corner. Many drivers are doing this mistake that they are breaking or not accelerating or changing gears already in the corner, this way they are actually loosing control of the car inside the corner.

Tire wear when accelerating from standstill is not an issue, if you have reasonably wide tires at the back. I have R17/245/35 Pirelli P-Zero tires at the back on 10 inch wide wheels on my 2.8 and there is no slipping anymore.

Z3 2.8 might be not the fastest car, but I believe it is faster than 90% cars on the road and it has loads of torque especially at low rpm range if you are not tuning your car for hp (hp sells cars, torque wins races - Enzo Ferrari). If you know where you have most torque in your rpm range (on 2.8 it is after 3500), and know how to use it and when to change gears - you have great chances to be quite fast on the road without pretending being in a "supercar". Also keep in mind, that other cars with the same engine displacement usually are heavier than Z3 and that is another advantage of Z3.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

deni2s wrote:
I can't agree fully with that. Regarding cornering - right way to corner is to break before the corner and going thru corner with acceleration. It's not so important how fast you are going in the corner, as how fast you are going out of corner. Many drivers are doing this mistake that they are breaking or not accelerating or changing gears already in the corner, this way they are actually loosing control of the car inside the corner.
You're taking about different things. You're talking about the 'right' way to drive, whereas Southernboy is stating, quite correctly, that if you corner a little more slowly your tyres will last longer - that is indisputable and is irrespective of other factors.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

The key to cornering is smoothness and balance. Specifically by being smooth with the throttle and steering and not upsetting the balance with harsh changes during the corner. You can have all the handling gizmos you wan, but if you enter a corner too quick and have to lift or break you will be in trouble. Slow in fast out is the mantra on a track, but safe in safe out is the way to do it on the road.

Agree with southern boys comments on wear. If you are gentle on the tyres they will last longer
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi all, thanks for your advice.
I think I'll change the drop links and will have a look at new shocks quite soon because even if the actual ones have gone through the MOT they are far gone...

Then tires when the one I have are good to change.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Pierrick wrote:Then tires when the one I have are good to change.
Tyres can get too old as well as wearing down. When tyres get old they go hard and lose grip. I had this with some Conti contact sport I had on the M. Lasted too long really so they looked good, but the rubber was 'dead'.

How old are your tyres? If over 5-6 years I bet they are starting to suffer.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Brake, brake, brake!!!!
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Siwilson, you couldn't be more right!

I know my tires are quite hard, the rubber doesn't grip as much as it should and it is not wearing down as much as it suppose to but I keep them for now... as I said earlier I don't drive fast anyway!
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Bought new front top mount, front shocks and springs and anti roll bar link.

Right side done today, left tomorrow. Will tell you how it improved the handling...