Dreaded airbag light, 2000 facelift 2.0 manual

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Dreaded airbag light, 2000 facelift 2.0 manual

Post by daveofedinburgh »

As per the title, have what I believe to be the airbag warning light on the dash.

It's the icon with the little man with a strap over him, being hit with a big football... so hopefully my assumption of airbag light is correct!

The light comes on with all the others, then goes off for a sec before coming back on, although it is dull, as if only half-illuminated.

When I got the car back in January, it had clearly had wet carpets fairly recently, as there was still some moisture to them. I spent plenty of time drying them out, and they are 100% dry now.

From my limited reading on here, I understand wet carpets can be a cause of this warning light.

It's probably also worth mentioning that the passenger seat moves fine backwards and forwards on the electrics, although it doesn't move up and down.

MOT time is looming, so I obviously want this sorted out sharpish. Would be a shame to fail on this, as Ive had the car up on ramps and looked at by afew mechanics and a former MOT tester, who all remarked that the car is remarkably clean and corrosion free underneath, with brakes, suspension, tyres etc all looking sound.

I've seen afew threads for cheap reset/ diagnostic tools, but wondered if any fellow owners could help diagnose based on my symptoms first!

Car is a 2000 facelift 2.0 manual by the way.
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Dreaded airbag light, 2000 facelift 2.0 manual

Post by Brian H »

Dave,

Yep sounds like the airbag light, sometimes the loom under the seat does get snagged and this triggers the light. I am over in Killin, just over an hour away, if nobody is closer I'll gladly give you a hand.

Cheers

Brian

Edit: :head: Just had a look at your profile, although you are daveofedinburgh you are located in London :head: :head:
Last edited by Brian H on Thu 28 Aug, 2014 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

It could well be the plug on the loom under the seat. Moving the seat back & forth sometimes wiggles the plug enough to break contact for a second and puts the light on (was always happening to me after the MoT as the tester was very tall and moved the seat right back). Try pulling the plug apart, spraying the contacts with contact cleaner (not WD40) and then cable-tying the plug halves together so that they can't move - it worked for me.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What did you do to dry the car out? There is a good few inches of foam under the carpets and it holds water like a sponge. We literally wrang it out on a friends car that had also got wet, even though the carpet on top felt dry. If you remove the seats to deal with the connectors, it is worth checking under the carpet to get it properly dry.

It is worth getting the codes read as it will pinpoint the fault to one side of the car or the other.

Regarding the passenger seat up/down movement - is the button labelled with up and down arrows? If not, then it may not have up down movement - I know mine doesn't.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ualla

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ualla »

I have a '99 2.0 manual as well and had the airbag light turn on a while ago. I unplugged the connector under the seat, cleaned it a bit then plugged it back in.

The light was still on in the dash, but when I changed my brake pads I asked the guys to have a look at the code. Turned out to be the Passenger seat belt tensioner.

I asked him to reset the light thinking it would come back on, but here I am a month on and it hasn't turned back on...
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

the light will stay on until reset even if the problem is sorted, or so I always thought :?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

littlefeller wrote:the light will stay on until reset even if the problem is sorted, or so I always thought :?

That is correct, it has to be reset with a tool, more worryingly the airbag and pre-tensioners will remain disabled until the fault and light is cleared,
That is why it is an MOT fail.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

eBay tool to reset air bag £11 worth investing

Regards corky
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

when I brought my z it too had an illuminated airbag light (or would have if someone hadn't filled the space with paper :lol: ) my passenger seat also had the same issue - back and forth ok but up down not working. mine was simply unconnected plugs under both seats. ( I now believe these were unplugged in an attempt by the seller to get rid of the airbag light, which I think came on after running over the cable trapped in the seat runners, they were a bit chewed). my up and down still does not work but I rarely carry a passenger so its ok, messes her hair up :lol: so I drive solo :twisted: after reading most airbag issues on here the most common is the belt tensioners and the wire harness under the seat. though without a reset tool to reset it every time you test a component your just pi..ing in the wind. the reset tool will pay for itself, also if you plan on keeping the z then it would be worth thinking about buying diagnostic software instead (around £50) this again is recouped the first time you have to use it 8-)
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

"BOUGHT"