Engine bay filth

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Smartbear

blank

Engine bay filth

Post by Smartbear »

After having a pop at the paintwork I thought I would have a clean up under the bonnet, I don't think it had been touched in 12 years as it was more than a little grubby

A bit of scrubbing with some degreaser & rinse with a hosepipe got it looking much better, sprayed some gt85 around to dress it up a little & offer some corrosion protection.

Very satisfying to see the dirt come off like that.
Regards
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Engine bay filth

Post by Davejue1 »

Wow! What did you use to get that finish? Whatever it was I'll be getting some. Excellent result, well done. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I would imagine it's that's amazing elbow grease :-)
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Was it not the gt85
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

That's incredible!
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Davejue1 wrote:Wow! What did you use to get that finish? Whatever it was I'll be getting some. Excellent result, well done. :)

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave, I used this stuff-not sure where you buy it from as I (ahem) borrowed a little from work....... :roll:

Certainly did the business & left it nice & clean-I don't like leaving dry so the gt85 leaves a protective film and gives a nice shine as a bonus!
Regards
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Great work, please let us know the TECHNIQUE for application, rags/tools used, elbow grease, hard to reach spots etc. Thanks.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

A write up on how you did it would be great. I`m impressed with the result. :D
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

alec.m wrote:A write up on how you did it would be great. I`m impressed with the result. :D
Very basic I'm afraid, a cheapo plastic washing up brush to scrub in the cleaning agent where I could reach (gentle spray of water to start with to help loosen some of the dirt) I wouldn't aim a powerful jet of water directly at the electrical components/connectors etc but they did get wet with no harm, no different from washing a motorbike really as they have tons of gubbins on display.
Left the degreaser to do its thing for ten mins & then rinsed off with the hose (made sure engine was cold before I started to save the cleaner drying to fast/streaky.
It got tons of dirt off & the gt85 made it shiny :sunny
Regards
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Quite simple really then. I like simples :D . Thanks for the info. Alec
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Do you guys there not have Carwash outlets that have hoists to do under-car engine and chassis cleaning?? Here I can go to the local car wash, Pay £5 and have the car lifted up on the hoist, have the entire chassis , and engine / gearbox etc cleaned / steam rinsed ... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

That's awesome and a great idea about hoisting. I have never seen it here in Australia.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...That's surprising... I would have thought it would be pretty common there... It's an easy way to get under a car and give it a seriously good cleaning especially in side the wheel rims, brake areas etc... These guys here do the upper engine bay, then hoist it up and tackle the underside... nothing better... I always take the opportunity to have a really good look around under the car after they've cleaned... check all the pipe and cable brackets haven't been damaged going over the speed bumps etc.
"Normal is overrated"

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Never seen or heard of that kind of service in the UK either. I've seen engine bay steam clean advertised but a hoist and underneath clean would be good.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

ive never seen that service either? I do find it satisfying doing it myself though even if its not as good as steam cleaning-i like pottering around with cars :thumb:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'd do it myself if I had a hoist, a steam pressurised gun and a hoist of my own... Doing the top side is easy, and I often do that, but once every 3 months, I take it for a full underside clean, and if I've been anywhere near the ocean, it gets the full jetwash underside etc clean... don't like the idea of sea salt and hot weather... like steamy salt...an invitation for corrosion... :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

I live 1Km from the ocean and don't have a problem :wink: you guy's that live at altitude seem to have a problem :D
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... yes, yes yes.... you've been there so long you don't know what air without heavy salt doses tastes like Hilton... All you Durban types look rusty and your cars are much the same... :D
"Normal is overrated"