BMW Spartanburg

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

BMW Spartanburg

Post by Ragtop »

We were lucky enough to spend a day at the BMW Spartanburg factory today and we did a Factory Tour and watched some X3s and X4s being built. No photos allowed in the factory unfortunately. It was a great experience for only $10 each. We also, before the tour commenced, were shown the new I8 BMW Super Car. Wow! What a great car!

Here are a few photos from the museum.

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: BMW Spartanburg

Post by Davejue1 »

Lucky you, thanks for the photos. We're planning a trip to Germany for 2016 summer hols and were going to incorporate Munich on the way down to visit a POW Camp just across the border in Poland. I've heard excellent reports about the tour there aswell and only costs around £15. Bit of a must if your ever near enough to visit one. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Lucky boy Ron, a place I would like to visit. It's funny to think your Z was in that factory a decade or so ago.
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Yes Brian I did feel lucky to be there, I had been looking forward to it for so long. Although robots help build the cars of today our Z3's were hand built. I was amazed how many workers there were in the factory with the robots. Every car being built on the production line has been ordered and was being built to the exact specification of the future owner. X3's were being built alongside X4's, left hand drive and right hand drive in the same line, amber lenses for cars for the USA and clear lenses for the rest of the world. If you get the chance to go Brian, you won't be disappointed.
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

We toured the Spartanburg facility in 2001 when the Z3 was still being built. At that time they were 100% hand assembled, with no robots to be seen anywhere. Apparently this was part of the deal between BMW and the State of South Carolina (I think they paid $1 for the land, but I may be wrong there) in order to maximise utilisation of local labour.

Although not on the scale of the Munich one, the Spartanburg museum was still pretty impressive, with exhibits rotated between the two locations on a fairly regular basis.

The biggest mystery is why, having been so impressed by the tour and the Z3, we waited another 10 years before buying our '00 2.8!

Beemer Man.
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Hope you manage to do the factory tour in 2016 Dave. At £15 it is very good value to get an insight to how a modern car plant works. Hopefully by then they will be making the new i8, we were lucky enough to drool over it at the start and end of the factory tour.
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Beemer Man wrote:
The biggest mystery is why, having been so impressed by the tour and the Z3, we waited another 10 years before buying our '00 2.8!

Beemer Man.

Beemer Man maybe the prices were a bit lower 10 years later. :)
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

A lot lower 10 years on, Ragtop, but the main reason was I had my E30 M3 until 2006 (and now it's worth 3-4 times what I sold it for-but I try not to think about that!!)

Beemer Man