High milage?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
albaman

Z3 roadster 2.0

High milage?

Post by albaman »

Hello.

I am looking at buying a Z3. It's a 2000 model with the 2.0 straight six. It's in very good condition for its age. Just small bubbles of rust at the rear arches. However it has 144000 miles on the clock. It drive well in my opinion but I am concerned buying a car with such high milage. What are these cars capable of? It has been serviced annually.

Many thanks
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: High milage?

Post by Davejue1 »

The straight 6 engines are more than capable of doing 200,000 miles if looked after properly. If it's the right money taking the mileage into account then don't let it worry you. Go for it! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
albaman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by albaman »

Thanks for the reply. What is the right price for such a car?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

It's very difficult to put a price on one as they seem to fetch individual prices rather then being worth a block figure like you'd see on a vectra or mondeo. IF the car is nice on the paint and drives well, has a decent amount of MOT, I don't see why it wouldn't fetch £2000-2500. Make sure you lift the boot carpet and check the spot welds in the boot as these can fail and is a dear job to get repaired. :)

Cheers
Dave

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Only my opinion but 2-2,5k is 2.8 money and way over the odds.
There is a 2.8 facelift with hardtop for sale now on here at just over 3k. Sell the hard top and the car costs you just over 2k. That's with 83k miles and tan leather, facelift etc.

A 2l is in my opinion not that desirable. I've had a 2.2 as well and it's sounds nice like a 2.8 but missing torque. Uses just as much fuel.

The mileage isn't really an issue but come resale time it hit you hard if you pay high now.
I prefer a 100k mile car that's maintained than a 80k miler as when you cross that magic invisible barrier it makes it harder to sell but no real evidence to say 80k is better than 100k. It's down to the car and how it's been kept/driven and of course built!
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Ps without seeing it my comments are all hot air- it may be the rarest colour combo with fresh suspension, roof, leather etc etc!
I'm assuming it's an average version!
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

By the best car that you can afford for the littlest money you can spend.

Don't get het up about the mileage, these are low value, volume cars, most of which will not have been serviced and maintained well throughout their lives. Look for evidence of maintenance from a sympathetic owner, if you find that, regardless of the mileage, then buy it.

Too many people on here seem to hope that the Z3 is going to be the next big thing in the classic car world - they won't be.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

TR4man,True words, another 20 years I think it maybe a different story but for now just enjoy! :)

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

....and can I make it clear, I am not belittling the Z3. I love my little car as much as anyone else on here. So much so that I'm about to spend 50% of its value on bodywork repairs, refurbishing the alloy wheels and having the leather upholstery professionally refurbished.

Having used my car for just over two years as a daily driver and increasing the mileage by around 55,000 I reckon it deserves a bit of a fuss
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Good for you! Had my painted during the winter so now owes me more the it's worth but frankly I don't care. It will never be sold so it doesn't matter a monkeys. I too love my Zed and there getting on so will require some pennies spending on them from time to time. :)

albaman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by albaman »

Thanks for all the info. The roof looks almost new to me and the interior is leather with heated seats.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I for one hope that values stay low.
Many of the older cars l wanted are now fetching silly money, even MK5 Cortinas are approaching £3,000 now for a "good" one. And old Minis....twenty plus for a nice Cooper. There are not that many older cars you can get for no money these days, but the Z3 is currently one of them.
Five years ago l was looking at Jensen lnterceptors, and you could get a good one for ten. Now you can pay thirty.
albaman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by albaman »

Thanks for the advice. Also, are the sills prone to rotting? What should I look out for?
DM
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

lightning wrote:I for one hope that values stay low.
Many of the older cars l wanted are now fetching silly money, even MK5 Cortinas are approaching £3,000 now for a "good" one. And old Minis....twenty plus for a nice Cooper. There are not that many older cars you can get for no money these days, but the Z3 is currently one of them.
Five years ago l was looking at Jensen lnterceptors, and you could get a good one for ten. Now you can pay thirty.
I hear you. I wanted an e30 but for the money I spent on my very well ( read costly improvements) z3 I could get a rusty e30. One that had all the work needed already done was simply way out of budget...

I think what helps the z is the impracticality and 'journalists' opinions on the handling etc that keep it off the radar for now.