inpa install

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

inpa install

Post by littlefeller »

my laptop has packed up, it has a copy of inpa on it, i do still have the original memory stick with the inpa install but if i remember correctly im sure i had to register it. So if i bought an ata sata enclosure with usb for the hard drive in my caput laptop would i still be able to access and run inpa this way? (using another laptop and the hard drive attached via usb)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: inpa install

Post by Robert T »

Probably not, as it needs the USB driver and other bit installing - which the other laptop won't have. Better to reinstall. No registration is required. Enclosure is a good idea to recover files.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by HighSharpe »

Hello littlefeller

What exactly has happened to the laptop - just asking to check if the hard disk is still alive and kicking.
You can pull out the hdd and put into an enclosure and try to run the program on a different computer, but be careful of
1/ a different windows version
2/ expected path settings and issues with the drive letter changing
3/ any registry settings the program might expect

If the 'registration' was just the creation of an email account and you have a serialcode (not familiar with this program, just general opinion) then go ahead and try reinstalling on a new machine - don't think there's anything to lose.

If you want more help feel free to PM me!

-HS
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

hi all thanks for the replys, i think rob has hit something there, if memory serves me correctly it does say on install that you have to use the same usb port everytime you run inpa.
the other laptop is an acer aspire, power light comes on, optical drive spins up, fan running, hdd is idling ready for a comand but no boot. ram is fine, cpu is heating as it should, hdd is running fine (can still get access to th files if i remove the hdd. screen is blank (black screen of death is a common word for it). options are - have it repaired but this is just as expensive as just buying a new laptop, or keep using this laptop with xp, but its getting harder to carry on using xp, and this computer is sooooo slow. flash a new bios, this is very iffy, it could ender the acer useless. any sugestions are welcome. :)

the problem i will have is the files on the hdd are windows 7 while this lappy is running xp

oh yeh forgot to mention, i get no bios settings either, even if i try and go around a normal boot to bias settings - nothing
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

AAAAARGHH. yes I need a key, which I found but then found I cant activate it as bm technic no longer exist :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mac27040

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mac27040 »

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

would inpa run on windows 8? :shrug
Mac27040

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mac27040 »

Don't think it's compatible, do a search on the net
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Works for me in windows 8
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

well, a quick update - removed hard drive from duff laptop, put it in a different laptop and hey inpa still works even though im now using a different usb port. :o back in buisness :) if b m technic has gone bust then who owns the copy right :?:
tried downloading a copy on to my new windows 8 laptop and instead got a virus, DO NOT DOWNLOAD BUBBLE DOCK.

After a search on google it would appear that the earlier editions of inpa were released on cd and don't require a registration key, mine was supplied on a 8gb stick and requires a reg key to start the installer, now wondering if another installer could be used, seems a bit of a bummer considering I have paid for this install.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

littlefeller wrote:well, a quick update - removed hard drive from duff laptop, put it in a different laptop and hey inpa still works even though im now using a different usb port. :o back in buisness :) if b m technic has gone bust then who owns the copy right :?:
I imagine BMW still own the copyright, just as they did when BMTechnic was flogging it!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
littlefeller wrote:well, a quick update - removed hard drive from duff laptop, put it in a different laptop and hey inpa still works even though im now using a different usb port. :o back in buisness :) if b m technic has gone bust then who owns the copy right :?:
I imagine BMW still own the copyright, just as they did when BMTechnic was flogging it!
wonder if that is why bmtechnic has disappeared, shame, was thinking of hacking it :lol: (wouldn't want to do this if someone still owns the copy right)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Hacking it to do what? INPA is widely available to download online and needs no licence key to run.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

the last time I tried downloading it I picked up a virus :evil: and another annoying exe called bubble dock, hidden in the download :evil: :evil: