Z3M Roadster S50 1999 54000 miles. Should I use it all year?

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
platform

M roadster S50

Z3M Roadster S50 1999 54000 miles. Should I use it all year?

Post by platform »

Hi to Everyone on the forum:

I plan to use the above car all year round, and I wondered how many other users do this.
Are there any specific problems associated with adopting this extended use of the vehicle?

I do know handling can be problematic even in the wet with enthusiastic driving styles, BUT...If I fit winter tyres and have a sealed bag of sand in the boot, will this negate the handling issues if I drive carefully and in accordance with road conditions?

Are there any other problem areas that I should be aware of?

I've heard and read in many places that to keep seals fluid and the engine used on a regular basis over the entire year will be better for the car than leaving it idle in a garage or under a car cover to essentially dry out in places that should remain lubricated. E.g. Cylinder bores, valve gear, chains etc.

My antifreeze is good for -37 deg C and the oil has been renewed 2 weeks ago when it had its inspection 2 carried out.

Your advice would help me make the decision and I would be very interested in how many forum users 'park-up' and leave their beloved Z3M during the inclement weather

Thanks in anticipation of your replies

Norrie
aceman

M roadster S50

Re: Z3M Roadster S50 1999 54000 miles. Should I use it all y

Post by aceman »

Your biggest problem will be all the salt getting sprayed up the underside of the body. I may pay to invest in having the underbody steam cleaned and then waxoiled which should protect it. In terms of driving I find that the Z3M can be quite docile when driven correctly but you won't be able to get away from a twitchy back end when the roads are icey no matter how good a driver you are so think about backup transport for the worst days as you will be travelling backwards if driven in really icey snowy conditions.

Mine will be tucked in the garage on trickle charge so the battery is kept fresh and taken out on good days.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

You will be missing out on some fun drives if you don't take the Z out through the winter.

You definitely need the winter tyres, but not the bag of sand - you need to keep the car's excellent balance - the winter tyres will give you the traction.

I've run the Z through 9 winters with absolutely no damage from salt. I go out looking for snow covered hills and empty icy car parks - lots of revs and not too much steering correction after you catch the first slide!

I'm always keen to get the winter tyres on, usually in November, ready for the slidey stuff, but even keener to get the summer tyres back on in March for the extra dry/wet grip. All adds to the variety.

Go for it! The Zs were made to be driven! :twisted: :twisted:
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

The m versions need more regular servicing so if you're using it all year (daily) then just bear that in mind cost wise - I use both my zs all year round intermittently without any problems. The only issue I have is a twitchy back end (the car not mine!) in snow but that is a BMW thing, my tourer was the same.

With regards "use or garage", my M had done very limited miles when I bought it and one good hard blast over the pennies blew the rocker gasket and 2 brake hoses so it is better to use them than keep them as ornaments... As long as they are looked after they will still hold value for the future

Enjoy
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
M3BMC

M roadster S50

Post by M3BMC »

My hard top goes on over the winter and I have some snow tyre chain cover things just in case It gets snowy but mine is definitely an all year rounder. I did have a bit of rust come through on the front "wing" which I felt wasn't helped by the salt on roads but with the panels being bolt off I just put another panel on and have kept the old one for spares. Depending on which part of the country you are in you might not even see any snow in your area. Respecting the power of the car and being aware of the road conditions will keep the smile on your face all year round! :)
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Unless you use a hard top, be sure that the plastic rear window is fully warmed up, before putting the roof down otherwise you may have to replace it.
Last edited by Fender2004 on Fri 26 Sep, 2014 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Definitely look to invest in a hardtop and fitting kit in my opinion
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Hi Norrie, glad you signed up to the forum, loads of helpful information.

Hope you are still enjoying the car.

All the best Jonathan.
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
platform

M roadster S50

Post by platform »

Hi Jonathon.
Your erstwhile Z3M is absolutely fantastic! As you can see from my post, I'm trying to decide to drive it all year (or otherwise). I hope all is well your end with your V8 M3. That must be something else!
Kind regards,
Norrie
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Glad you are enjoying the car. I am glad I have got the V8 puts a smile on my face every time in drive it but in a strange way I do miss the Z3 but glad you are enjoying it.
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us