BMWCCGB Donnington 2014

Find out about meetings and cruises in here. Make the best use of your Z!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

BMWCCGB Donnington 2014

Post by Brian H »

Hi all,

The list for the BMWCCGB Trackday Events 2014 has just been published, please see below for dates/venues.

If you are interested in going to any of these events you do not need to be a BMWCCGB member but if you are you qualify for a discounted price.

Nick Wright is the contact for the events and he can be contacted at nick@bmwcarclubgb.co.uk

2014 Trackday List
  • March 1st - Snetterton 300
    May 6th - Cadwell Park
    July 14th - Croft Circuit
    September 29th - Donnington Park
    November 14th - Oulton Park
I have been to a few of these now, if you have any questions please ask, either post below or send a PM.

Mods, if possible could these dates be put on the forthcoming events page for next year?
Last edited by Brian H on Sun 28 Sep, 2014 08:31, edited 3 times in total.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: BMWCCGB Trackday List 2014

Post by mnbrennan »

What are the usual costs for these and are there any requirements?
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

mnbrennan wrote:What are the usual costs for these and are there any requirements?
Please see the list below, the prices are for BMWCC members, non BMWCC members are welcome to any of the events but need to pay an extra £20.00 IIRC.
BMWCC Website wrote: Here are the confirmed dates for 2014
These are BMWCC member prices and are correct as of December 2013

March 1st, Saturday
Snetterton 300 Circuit
£150

May 6th, Tuesday
Cadwell Park Circuit
£150

July 14th, Monday
Croft Circuit
£175

September 29th, Monday
Donington Park Circuit
£225

November 14th, Friday
Oulton Park Circuit
£150
Only real requirements I can think of will be your helmet, if you are going to drive top down you need a full face helmet. It pays to have your car serviced, oils fluids etc. Also a good check of your braking system would not do any harm.
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Why a "full face helmet" for top down?
Have noted also the requirement for a sleeved shirt (Is this long sleeved) as a big Polo shirt fan especially when driving!
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Bowler wrote:Why a "full face helmet" for top down?
A safety requirement from the track owners rather than BMWCCGB as I understand it.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Had a fantastic day out today at Snetteron today at the BMWCC Trackday, another set of EBC yellow stuff pads bite the dust :head:, the weather all day has been absolutely fantastic we even had sunshine. Also had my first ride in a ///M Coupe :D
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Booked in for Cadwell
Sorted handling out with the exception of the crappy Marshall tyres not sure whether to swop before or after the track day! :?:
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Definitely swap before. You'll enjoy the day more pushing the car closer to the limit if you have more confidence in the tyres.
I did a track day at Silverstone on crappy tyres and it was ruined because I had no faith in the grip.
All track days since I have been using R888s and they make a world of difference as I can throw the car around knowing I have loads of grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

^^+1, if you can stretch the budget get a decent set of tyres on, it will make a difference knowing you have some good rubber on the car.
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Just changing the fronts so will not be too much to get better quality Falken seem a very popular choice
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Cadwell Park Update :)

Post by Brian H »

Sat in my B&B after a great day at Cadwell Park, the rain threatened at a few points in the day but did not come to anything. Three Z3 roadsters on track today, a couple of ///M Coupes and a mixture of all things BMW.

Tried out my home made fog light brake ducts today, result they really do work, this as well as using EBC Blue Stuff pads all round give me brakes that inspired confidence.

Thought I would do a bit of aero testing whilst on track today :lol: .

Not really, this is what happens when a car goes pop in front of you :shock: BTW oil is a Bu**er to get off :(
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: BMWCCGB Croft 2014

Post by Brian H »

I attended the BMWCCGB track day at Croft on Monday and had a great day out, Tim Harvey was at the track all day to help out with instruction (as long as you got your name down quick enough on the instructor list), he seemed like a real genuine down to earth guy. A good selection of cars, the Zeds were low on the ground but met C_W in his black ///M coupe.

This was my second visit to Croft so had an idea of the track layout and where I should be on the track, this did not always quite work out though.

I booked an instructor (supplied FOC) for 30 mins at 12:00, Gregory jumped in the car and proceeded to try and get me round the circuit in some sort of respectable fashion, after a lap on my own he began his instruction and things seemed to click in to place. It always surprises me how calm the instructors are, they are jumping into a car with a complete stranger and getting driven round a track by people that they have no previous knowledge of. At the end of my tuition Gregory commented how I had managed to tidy up my lap :drive

We had a few spots of rain just about lunch time but that cleared up before the track opened up for the afternoon.

I stop blethering now, here are a few laps after lunch, the day at this point was overcast so apologies for the dark video at the start of the clip.

Enjoy

P.S. I also managed to pick up the DOTD award as voted for by the track marshals
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Looks like a proper day out Brian, the video footage is great and must say you look pretty good at it, and bullying that 3 series out the way, shame on you!!! I'm just not sure I'd want to put my car through those paces, I know there built to be driven but I'd be a little sceptical of blowing it up or spinning off and that would make me cry in me tea!!!! :D

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Nice one Brian, managed to keep from the back end of 5 series estates this time!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Davejue1 wrote:Looks like a proper day out Brian, the video footage is great and must say you look pretty good at it, and bullying that 3 series out the way, shame on you!!! I'm just not sure I'd want to put my car through those paces, I know there built to be driven but I'd be a little sceptical of blowing it up or spinning off and that would make me cry in me tea!!!! :D

Cheers
Dave
Ha Ha, No bullying from me Dave, I spend too much time getting out of everyone's way, that orange mini is proper fast.
Bowler wrote:Nice one Brian, managed to keep from the back end of 5 series estates this time!
Yep, no oil slicks this time thank goodness.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

It was a good day, great weather really as it wasn't too hot and the rain at midday didn't affect the track at all as it was warm enough to dry out quickly. Had a good few laps with some of the track-prepared M3s but unfortunately all my footage is corrupted due to a cheap memory car :(

You seemed to be going well! - didn't really you got Drive of the Day as I could get in to the breifing room and there were some jets flying overhead so couldn't really hear!
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Hi
I notice it's the donninton track day this weekend

Just out of curiosity are spectators allowed in,wouldn't mind watching for a few hours as I will be out n about in the z
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Topperz wrote:Hi
I notice it's the donninton track day this weekend

Just out of curiosity are spectators allowed in,wouldn't mind watching for a few hours as I will be out n about in the z
Hi,

Donnington is on Monday the 29th, spectators are welcome.

Cheers

Brian
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Great news Brian

Just got to free Monday up....weather looks good

Any info on times,entry costs etc

Paul
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Paul,

There will be people kicking about from 7ish, The track opens at 9.00am, this is usually with some sighting laps, from about 9:30 there it is open pit lane. Spectating is FOC, if you come along pop by and say hi.

Cheers

Brian
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

are newbies welcome to come along and spectate Brian?

I only live half hour from donington and any excuse to take the zed out :)

Neutro999
'01 Z3 3.0i with black leathers - a.k.a 'The Rebel'
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Brian

Looks like you've been enjoying yourself on the track :P. 'The Park' is literally a stones throw from my office and I'm off shift on Monday, so I too will hopefully nip across and say hi. Do we come in through main entrance and park in the pit car park?

Cheers Pete
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Neutro999 wrote:are newbies welcome to come along and spectate Brian?

I only live half hour from donington and any excuse to take the zed out :)

Neutro999
You'll be very welcome, pop in to say hi.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Koolflyer wrote:Hi Brian

Looks like you've been enjoying yourself on the track :P. 'The Park' is literally a stones throw from my office and I'm off shift on Monday, so I too will hopefully nip across and say hi. Do we come in through main entrance and park in the pit car park?

Cheers Pete
Hi Pete,

Yes through the main entrance and park in the pit car park, you can spectate from the pit wall.

Cheers

Brian
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Thanks Brian, see you and anyone else tomoz

Pete
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: BMWCCGB Donnington 2014

Post by Koolflyer »

What a cracking day! I meandered up to Donny Park at about 1000 as I said. There I met Brian H and his trusty Dakar Yellow 3.0 Z3, who had already been pounding the circuit before I arrived. There was a real mixture of Beamers, mainly M3's of different vintages, and a few other cherished motors! The icing on the cake was Brian handing me his spare helmet, next thing we were back on the track, I as passenger of course, for ten 'butt clenching' laps...........brilliant! Tell you what that little Z3 of his held its own no problem against some more powerful track mates. Of course it was very in good hands, but just goes to show how strong these cars are when pushed to their limits. If you are passing any of these 5 yearly BMWCC track days I'd highly recommend popping in, and its FREE! I'm going next year that's for sure and quite sure Brian would be pleased to see you.

Brian in action in front of the pits

Line up including Paul's (Topperz) Cosmos black 2.0

Ready to hit the track again!

A well earned rest after my ten laps

Thanks again Brian............Pete :cheers
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Totally echo petes comments on the day

Very well organised,all people were very sociable,and a highly recommended day out....roll on next year

A few Z3m coupes,great selection of e30 & e36 M3,a cracking csl in full race trim :shock: even a X5m had a run round......my X1 Msport is looking very afraid :lol:

Brian's yellow Z did stand out from the crowd

Many thanks to all that organised it and for making it a great day out

I do have pics and when I get the hang of posting them I will get them added

Paul

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Well today has been a fantastic day, not only has it been a fantastic day on track it was great to see some few fellow zedding members too. Pete, Paul and Neutro (sorry I have forgotten you real name :head:, it's been a long day.) turned up at various points in the day, as you can see from the pics above we had a mini meet :).

Pete, glad you had a good time, the expression on your face after a few laps on track will stay with me for a while - Priceless.

Cheers

Brian

P.s. Pete, can I pinch a couple of you pics pls.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Pete, glad you had a good time, the expression on your face after a few laps on track will stay with me for a while - Priceless.
Hey Brian, as we were bowling down the Dunlop straight breathing down the tailpipe of an M3 at 110 mph, I didn't realise you were looking at me!! :D :D

Here are some more pics, so help yourself

Cheers

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Great trackday and I'm glad I could use my kumho semi slicks as the rain held off all day until the very end. The Grp5 1970s CSL was amazing to see in the paddock and out on tracking with it's huge flaming side exit exhaust!

The yellow 3.0 was going really well! When I was following you I couldn't help thinking it might benefit from some stiffening up of the rear, with stiff rear springs? Z3M rear ACS springs would fit, it should sit about right on those if you play around with the rubber spring perches, and they are a pretty good stiffness (I find them ok on my car).
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

c_w wrote:Great trackday and I'm glad I could use my kumho semi slicks as the rain held off all day until the very end. The Grp5 1970s CSL was amazing to see in the paddock and out on tracking with it's huge flaming side exit exhaust!
Agree with you on the 1970s CSL, the flames were pretty spectacular :shock:

DT7_1792 by BMW Car Club GB & Ireland, on Flickr

Picture courtesy of Darren Teagles
c_w wrote:The yellow 3.0 was going really well! When I was following you I couldn't help thinking it might benefit from some stiffening up of the rear, with stiff rear springs? Z3M rear ACS springs would fit, it should sit about right on those if you play around with the rubber spring perches, and they are a pretty good stiffness (I find them ok on my car).
Thanks Chris, I do not disagree with you regarding stiffening up the rear, I currently have Eibach springs on front and rear, not sure if the ACS springs have a different spring rate? It was good to see you on track in your Z3M Coupe, really fast and looked good too :)
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Cheers! Yes I would say the ACS rear spring is stiffer than the Eibach. I think Mike Fishwick fitted Eibachs and decided to refit just the stock rear spring as it sat too low and felt too soft. I must have gone through about 5 different rear springs before getting some ACS which have a thicker winding than most of the others. Most of the "lowering" springs seem to be a softer coiler to make it sit lower IMO. The z3m acs rear spring is different to the non-m rear acs spring for some reason and not as stiff.

That said I did look in to having some custom springs made to increase spring rates but never got round to making the measurements (there's a couple of places in Sheffield that make springs to order and are quite cheap too).

Here's a video I put on earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2Iwb4lWJk#t=316
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

One for you Chris :thumb: (I think this is yours)

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Thanks - yep, that is mine! :)