cat removal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

cat removal

Post by paganbronze »

got a blow on mine and wondered if it could just be cut out and replaced with a straight thru
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: cat removal

Post by Del »

In my experience you may well struggle to pass a future MOT emissions test without a cat - particularly the test for CO.
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

so which is the main cat? there are 2 up front and one at the back, are the front ones pre cats?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

As far as I am aware, your car (2.8?) has a single cat at the front of the car just downstream of the dual pipe manifold run. There is a small mid silencer and the large rear silencer/twin tail pipe. The rear section on the Z3 exhausts is the section that tends to deteriorate with rust and this contains the mid and rear silencers. Eliminating one or both silencers will cause a noisier exhaust - which in the judgement of an MOT inspector may or may not cause a failure.

Other 2.8 owners may come along shortly with some practical experience/solutions, as replacement rear section Z3 exhausts are getting harder to obtain.
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

mine, well, my partners, is a 1999 2.8 and the front seems to have 2 downpipes with a cat /lambda on each which goes into a single with a silencer. The rear has just the rear box....I think
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

paganbronze wrote:mine, well, my partners, is a 1999 2.8 and the front seems to have 2 downpipes with a cat /lambda on each which goes into a single with a silencer. The rear has just the rear box....I think
My 2.8 has one cat that comes after the 2 exhaust (exit) manifolds.

That leads to a mid silencer then into a rear silencer.

I have removed the mid silencer (replaced with a through section by a PowerFlow franchise), the cat on mine is empty and the back box is a Sebring. I love the sound but have to refit a normal cat for the mot
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

My '98 single vanos 2.8 has a single cat after the twin pipes from the manifold and this bolts to the the rear box, no centre silencer!
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

And there I was reading the title thinking I may have found a solution to my problems...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

basically......yes, you can.
i welded in straight pipe to get me by when my cat disintegrated internally.
as already stated, you will need to get a new cat for the mot. i got one from Euro car parts for £112 all in (incl delivery) with a 2 year guarantee.
the car will get a bit louder and smell a bit of exhaust fumes but it will get you by for a bit.
2400rg

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 2400rg »

I have just had a new front end exhaust fitted.
And one lambda sensor is pointing down and left . What make of exhaust have you bought
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Haha Z3 Mark.

I think a straight through twin barrel will get rid of your cat. Sorry, silencers are not made for shotguns. ;)