Easy install parking sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Easy install parking sensor

Post by Z3 Mark »

It's a nightmare parking the z3 where I am, even though it's one of the easier cars I have owned to park!

I have been reading this thread http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 5&p=333655

But considering the last post was two years ago I thought I would start anew thread as the technology may have moved on since and better options may be available.

I basically just want something to beep when I start getting close to something behind me, so don't need anything too fancy, REALLY don't like the idea of drilling any holes though so the number plate surround style parking sensors really appeal.
Borrowed my fathers skoda with parking sensors and they are ace so fancy something similar of my own :D

The one that has really piqued my interest is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/NUMBER-PLATE-RE ... B003JIE36M

Does anyone have any experience with 3rd party parking sensors on a zed? Any tips or anything I should know?
Is there something better to get? (other than a passenger or just turning my head around :P )
stevie_a

blank

Re: Easy install parking sensor

Post by stevie_a »

I put these onto my volvo S40, great value for the money, and for an extra few pounds they spray them to your exact colour of car

and they are so easy to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Factory-Colou ... 1094558214?

this is mine fitted

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

I have reversing sensors fitted to my Zed with the bonus of having a display on the dash top (which shows where the obstacle is and how far away it is)

There have been so many occasions when I've been thankful for the reversing sensors :oops:

They were fitted by the previous owner, but are available off Ebay in a variety of colours

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Car-Parki ... 3a9513195f

Here is a picture which shows the location of the digital display just above the central air vents

They are fitted into the rear bumper and look OE

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Here is my set up, quoted from my journal :)
g8jka wrote:So most of these mods were done over the past few months and some at the end of summer last year. The first one is actually one of my dad's ideas and he did the mod first (don't really want to admit that but he does have some uses).

A small, pop up screen is fitted to the dash which allows 2 cameras to be connected into it and it turns on and off automatically when wired into the ignition. My dad fitted a front camera in the bumper, but I wanted one that can record footage of when driving along and one that saves the footage to a micro sd. This is a tiny camera fitted above the rear view mirror which will record automatically and loops every 3 minutes and connected into the flip up screen you can also watch the footage back or even view it in real time. As the screen had 2 video inputs I started to wonder what I could use the other one for and thought about fitting a rear parking camera. I got one that fits into the number plate lamp in the rear bumper and also has an LED to replace the one being removed. It gives a nice wide angle and has lines on so distances can be judged easily. Also I have it wired up so that when I select reverse it automatically switches from the front camera to the reverse camera 8-)

The camera folded down, looks nice and neat and the wires go through the dash.

Push the button on the front and it pops up automatically (ignition off so nothing on screen).

Front camera above mirror.

Front facing camera view (picture is better but looks blurred when trying to photograph).

Rear camera in place of number plate light.

Rear facing camera view.

2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

TR4man wrote: Image

That looks amazing but way beyond my skill set I fear :(
The number plate one would be a stick on one hole job rather than multiple holes in the bumber and fitted so nicely, perhaps something to do if I get on well with a number plate version?

g8jka... that's just showing off!
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Hi TR4man, I have a set of these type sensors which my son bought me for Christmas 2 years ago. I found them in a safe place the other day and deciding to get them fitted, I've previously fitted some on an MX5,but I noticed there is an alloy stiffener behind the plastic outer bumper. The ones on your car would appear to have been drilled above the stiffener. Please would you mind giving me the height from the ground to the centres of your sensors. Would be much appreciated with any other info re routing wiring etc. many thanks,Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Will do Tony, but it will be in a day or so.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

That's fine, thank you.

Tony.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Tony

I've measured the location of each sensor from the top of the bumper rather than position off the ground (as your car or my car may have differing ride heights). From the top of the bumper to the centre of each sensor is 14cm. (see below)

The sensor cables are bound together and routed from the control box around the tool compartment and then through an existing hole into the void behind the bumper (see below)

Regards
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Thank you ever so much for that,it's really useful information and I can hopefully get these fitted now with confidence re where to put them.

Cheers,Tony. :)
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

So I have purchased the veba unit, time will tell if that was a good thing or not and I shall of course report my findings on here.

Where / which is the wire for the reverse light and is there a good spot to splice into it?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I like the look of these - can someone tell me how the various angles are displayed on the display? ie, it you are reversing straight at a wall, or reversing and the obstacle is on one corner etc?

Thanks Lee
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szS4ZNGo8sI

This is virtually identical, although this guy has the display fitted to his rear view mirror.

The number in the centre is the metre (or part of a metre) that you are away from the obstruction. The number obviously reduces the closer you get to the obstruction.

On either side of the numbers are two coloured displays - one right, the other left. The colour changes the closer you are to the obstruction. If the obstruction is on the left, only the left side lights up in the display and vice versa. The colour changes the closer you become. in the film, the guy is reversing square on to the obstacle so both sides of the display are illuminated.

Hopefully this is clear on the film.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Cool - thanks for that, im sold!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

I'll ask again as I fear my question may be lost in the discussion...

WHICH wire do I install the sensor too (as in how do I identify them? ) I need to wire it to the earth and to the reversing light wire...

I am going to attempt installation tomorrow so would REALLY appreciate some feedback on this before I blow something up :dunce: :bow
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Mark

As I didn't install my car's reversing sensors, I can't advise you.

Are there not any instructions with the kit? The film in my previous post I found just by Googling "reversing sensors" and I'm sure if you do the same you'll find the answer.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Z3 Mark wrote:I'll ask again as I fear my question may be lost in the discussion...

WHICH wire do I install the sensor too (as in how do I identify them? ) I need to wire it to the earth and to the reversing light wire...

I am going to attempt installation tomorrow so would REALLY appreciate some feedback on this before I blow something up :dunce: :bow
If you open up your light box you will see the reversing light and you will be able to follow the connections. The one that is common to all the bulbs is the earth and the other the positive.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

g8jka wrote:Here is my set up, quoted from my journal :)
g8jka wrote:So most of these mods were done over the past few months and some at the end of summer last year. The first one is actually one of my dad's ideas and he did the mod first (don't really want to admit that but he does have some uses).

A small, pop up screen is fitted to the dash which allows 2 cameras to be connected into it and it turns on and off automatically when wired into the ignition. My dad fitted a front camera in the bumper, but I wanted one that can record footage of when driving along and one that saves the footage to a micro sd. This is a tiny camera fitted above the rear view mirror which will record automatically and loops every 3 minutes and connected into the flip up screen you can also watch the footage back or even view it in real time. As the screen had 2 video inputs I started to wonder what I could use the other one for and thought about fitting a rear parking camera. I got one that fits into the number plate lamp in the rear bumper and also has an LED to replace the one being removed. It gives a nice wide angle and has lines on so distances can be judged easily. Also I have it wired up so that when I select reverse it automatically switches from the front camera to the reverse camera 8-)

The camera folded down, looks nice and neat and the wires go through the dash.

Push the button on the front and it pops up automatically (ignition off so nothing on screen).

Front camera above mirror.

Front facing camera view (picture is better but looks blurred when trying to photograph).

Rear camera in place of number plate light.

Rear facing camera view.

hi im looking for something like this for my van what is the make and model ,where did you buy yours hqw much cheers 8-)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I had the screen and cameras from eBay. All of which came from China but delivery was only a couple of weeks and they are quite a bit cheaper if you are prepared to wait.

You need something like this as your camera and this as your screen.

You can buy them as a full kit with the camera and screen together and also get wireless versions to save you routing wires etc. Have a search through eBay, there are endless options.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Hi Mark, sorry for late reply but I've not been on here for a couple of days. If your kit is the wireless type you will need to find the wire that feeds the reversing lights at either of the rear light units in the boot, and splice into this for the feed and connect to any earth point on the body for the earth which is handy to use. I fitted this type of kit on an MX5 and it was really easy. :)

TR4Man. I had a look under my rear bumper and I am assuming that when the sensors were fitted to your cars rear bumper they also had to drill through the alloy stiffener behind it?

Tony.
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Well I fitted the bar without too much trouble.

I'll report back next month (if I remember) to report my findings, but so far I'm quite impressed and I was able to fit it all with just one hole.

I think it looks ok too so I'm happy.