New Thermostat Needed?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

New Thermostat Needed?

Post by Rocketbike »

I have a 1998 1.9, 86,000 on the clock , and I've just noticed this week that rather than sit straght up (1/2 way), the temperature gauge needle is moving about between 1/4 and 1/2 with the heater getting cooler and back to normal as it does. No change in coolant level, but wth a new thermostat about £55 I wanted to check if this sounds like the thermostat on the way out, or possibly something else before I get it changed. Anybody got any thoughts - Thanks
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: New Thermostat Needed?

Post by Del »

Sounds like the thermostat to me. When I first got my 1.9 it was running a bit cold. As the Autumn came it got worse and when easing off the throttle pedal down hills, the gauge would fall and touch the blue. As you say, the heater got cooler as well. The problem was 100% solved by a thermostat change. It seems very common for them to stick open with age.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Agree with Del - stat needs changing.
You can get them cheaper if you go for aftermarket reasonable quality - Euro Car parts have a reduction on at the moment http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-thermostat
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Thanks guys - Thermostat purchased from the link, fitted, and now all back working as it should be
Cheers :)