ASC not working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

ASC not working

Post by waynerp »

Hi One and All

OK i think that my ASC isnt working. Firstly i guess that as its a green button then it should light up when pressed ( it doesnt ) secondly after testing this morning :oops: the back wheels will spin until the sun sets when i let it loose!
I fitted another asc switch as it was only a few quid on feebay, and still nothing. can it be anything else other than the fuse/relay?
does the switch actually light up when its turned on or off?

any advice appreciated
thanks
Wayne
waynerp
Web Design & Optimisation http://www.neden.uk

Z3 2.8
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: ASC not working

Post by akirk »

I am not familiar with ASC as mine has the later DSC - but I assume it uses sensors in a similar way - so it is possible that a sensor is gone...
Have you read any error codes?
With mine the accelerometer went due to water ingress around the passenger seat (DSC)

just to note though I have no idea what I am talking about :) but just a thought!

Alasdair
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by waynerp »

didnt think about any error codes. i will take it to my mechanic on monday.
many thanks
waynerp

Z3 2.8
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

The switch should light up meaning the system is turned off.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There may be nothing wrong with your car at all...

Firstly the switch does NOT light up. There is a telltale in the middle of the dash that illuminates to indicate that the system is switched off or flashes to indicate that it is active. Does the telltale illuminate when you press the button? If not then either the system has a fault or the bulb has blown.

Secondly, does you car have a limited slip diff fitted? If it does, then you will have ASC and not ASC+T, so you only have stability control and not traction control as well.

Finally, if there is a fault with the system, it is very common to see the ABS light come on at the same time.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by waynerp »

Hi.
Nothing lights up on the dash. How would i know if it has a limited slip dif?
waynerp

Z3 2.8
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hi waynerp, if you put the last seven letters of your vin in this website it will tell you the original spec of your car with all the options it had when built.

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

When you turn the ignition on is the light illuminating on start-up test? It's the one in the centre - a warning triangle with a circular arrow around it.
If it is not illuminating on start-up the bulb should be checked before worrying about anything else. :wink:
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by waynerp »

Hi All
Thank you so much for all the advice.
So i have checked the website and it shows this..

Code Serienausstattung Standard Equipment
S209A
Sperrdifferenzial Differential lock 25%
S214A
Automatische-Stabilitäts-Control (ASC+T) Automatic stability control (ASC+T)
S272A
BMW LM Rad Z Star BMW LA wheel Z Star
S345A
Chrome Line Interieur Chrome Line Interieur
S380A
Hardtop-Vorbereitung Hardtop-preparation
S410A
Fensterheber elektrisch vorne Window lifts, electric, front
S510A
Leuchtweitenregulierung Headlight aim control
S520A
Nebelscheinwerfer Fog lights
S853A
Sprachversion englisch Language version English

So it says i have ASC+T
I have also uploaded a video( below) which shows the lights that come on when i turn the ignition on.
There isnt a light with a triangle with an arrow around it.

waynerp

Z3 2.8
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

waynerp wrote: Code Serienausstattung Standard Equipment
S209A
Sperrdifferenzial Differential lock 25%
LSD / Limited Slip Diff

Alasdair
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Slightly surprised to see that it lists ASC+T, but it may be that the system is fitted but coded for the fact that you do indeed have a Limited Slip Diff (the very first option on your list). The traction control would counteract the benefits of the LSD, so it may just be programatically disabled. Getting the ASC to activate in order to test it is somewhat harder as it really requires an out of control vehicle!

Cheers R.
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

Robert T wrote:Slightly surprised to see that it lists ASC+T, but it may be that the system is fitted but coded for the fact that you do indeed have a Limited Slip Diff (the very first option on your list). The traction control would counteract the benefits of the LSD, so it may just be programatically disabled. Getting the ASC to activate in order to test it is somewhat harder as it really requires an out of control vehicle!

Cheers R.
Slightly off-topic, but out of interest...
Why would traction control counteract benefits of a LSD?
As I understand it (and my knowledge of anything mechanical is minimal!) a normal diff will (in cornering) allow all the power to go to the wheel with the least resistance (due to being unweighted) and therefore you reduce power to where you have traction and increase it to where you don't... The LSD counters that by pushing power back to the other wheel - so increasing traction... Traction control (I have no idea how it works!) presumably aims to do the same, so would they not work together?
My 3.0l has a LSD and DSC (souped up traction control!) isn't that combination fairly standard?

Alasdair
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

If you have an unmade road nearby you could test to see if it`s working by giving it some beans in first gear with the switch in one position then the other. You will then know if your ASC is working, it will be obvious. If it is then all you have is a duff bulb and a few chips on your paintwork.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The first stage of ASC+T acts as an electronic LSD, braking the spinning wheel.

Cheers R.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

waynerp wrote:...............I have also uploaded a video( below) which shows the lights that come on when i turn the ignition on.
There isnt a light with a triangle with an arrow around it................................
I would suggest you pop the instrument cluster out and check the bulb before you start drift driving :wink:
This photo is of a 1998 1.9 (colours are not very good) but your cluster should be the same. The warning lamp is the one in the centre between speedo and rev counter

Note : the airbag light is in the bottom right corner - it is working but times out earlier than others.
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by waynerp »

thanks guys.
im going to take it to my bmw man tomorrow am.
i have to get it sorted before winter rolls in!
waynerp

Z3 2.8
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

Robert T wrote:The first stage of ASC+T acts as an electronic LSD, braking the spinning wheel.

Cheers R.
Ah okay - makes sense - presumably the two must work together, not conflict as with an LSD, that will reduce the issue initially and then the ASC-T will step in and help further...

Alasdair
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by waynerp »

OK so i took bert to my mechanic yesterday.
There was lots of head & butt scratching, followed by a bit more head scratching.
He has advised to take the fuse box apart and check the terminals as the ASC regulator is drawing power from only one pin and should be 2. The screws on the fuse box housing are completely rusted, so its possible that thee could be some water damage in there.
He also said to take a look at the light bulb on the instrument cluster, as he has seen before when a bulb has gone that it can affect other parts.
So i am going to have a play on friday and hopefully it will just be the bulb!
waynerp

Z3 2.8
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by waynerp »

Morning All.

So i had the chance to take a look at the car yesterday so started by taking out the instrument cluster..
There were a total of 11 bulbs missing, one of which was the ASC bulb. Im not sure if they didnt fit the bulbs for any options that wern't fitted at the factory but the ASC bulb was missing, along with many others that are fitted, so at some stage someone has been playing silly buggers!
So i put a bulb in the ASC and presto it lights up and all is now good!
i got the last 4 replacements from halfords for £2.40 which are slightly different to the originals but they work fine, as the originals on ebay are about £8 each!

waynerp

Z3 2.8
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

waynerp wrote:................., so at some stage someone has been playing silly buggers!
So i put a bulb in the ASC and presto it lights up and all is now good!
Glad it was only something basic.There have been a few stories of `silly buggers' playing about with cluster bulbs usually to hide the airbag warning light, which also has an LED back-up as do a few others.
MOT rules have been modified in recent years and there is now a requirement to test certain safety feature bulbs on start-up.