Lights behind heater controls

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lights behind heater controls

Post by z3nomness »

So the lights behind the heater control dials are not working.

I've checked all the fuses, but before I start dissembling the dashboard to have a look has anyone had this before? and if so is there anything in particular I should be looking at??

really having fun being back in the Z3, and driving around grinning like an idiot :)

EDIT:

NEVER MIND, JSUT DID A GOOGLE SEARCH AND FOUND THE ANSWER
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Lights behind heater controls

Post by DC »

You might stop grinning soon! I've just done mine, bulbs almost £12 each and the devil of a job to get at.
I found going in from the radio aperture didn't help me much and from the side was best with my large size hands.
Enjoy and keep smiling :)
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hopefully Google led you here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =18&t=8878

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

DC wrote:from the side was best with my large size hands.
Funnily enough I noticed that my heater light isn't working either!

When entering from the side (does this sound a bit rude?) how do you undo those funny round screws that hold the side panel to the console?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You take gently prise the plastic covers off them and use a philips screwdriver on them. The one in the toolkit is a good size.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Hi, don't bother trying to pry off those screw caps cause you might scratch your trim, just jab them with the pointed screwdriver and screw the screws out, then remove the caps. You can re-use the caps or just chuck them out. Southernboy replaced his screws with some hex-head screws which he says looks really good. If your reading this Southernboy post some pix and details where you got the screws eh? :)

If you remove the radio you should be able to get your hands in there and grab the bulbs, but you will need some patience and study where they are first! Failing that, remove the center console. That's a bit of work but not overly difficult but you will have to deal with other electronics and bulbs! Reaching around the sides seems a bit hard on my car, the sides of the console are fixed in the console itself and won't come off. I assume people are talking about the trim in the driver's area which connects behind the side panels and reaching in behind from there? Correct me if I am wrong.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... they're actually used torx drive screws... bought them off eBay UK. Unfortunately they only had them in polished steel, so I had them black zinc coated. The nice part of them is the heads.. the torx slot has a small circular pole sticking up in the center of the star shape drive... they look very "high tech" compared to the common phillips drive heads, and with them being matt black, and my trim being black they are pretty much invisible. So, no more screw caps.... similar to these shown in the link below.... :wink:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTM4NVgxNjAw/ ... T/$_57.JPG
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions