When to wax?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

When to wax?

Post by TR4man »

Nothing to do with wives and girlfriends, but rather how long after having your Zed painted would you wait until you apply the first wax and polish?

Does modern paint need to "harden off" at all?

My Zed had a front end respray a month ago and my fingers are itching to slap some Meguiars on it :)
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: When to wax?

Post by Koolflyer »

Nothing to do with wives and girlfriends, but rather how long after having your Zed painted would you wait until you apply the first wax and polish?
A shame! :wink:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The answer is yes, modern paints do need to "cure"... I have been told to leave it be for a week... and that's in the warm climate here. Maybe the warmth isn't that important vs a chemical reaction cure - I can't say. If you are waxing vs polishing, then consider the ingredients in the wax. If their are no petroleum distillates or solvents in the wax as there are in polishes, you would probably be safe to use it on your car sooner.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Hi, best to ask the question of the painter.
I am not sure about 'polishing' a new paint job as this action actually removes some of the paint to get it to shine which may be unnecessary. Be careful when buying a polish.
Waxing is another story and applies a protective layer on top of the paint. There is no need for machines to do that as by hand is adequate.
You can also ask a professional detailer and I think there is one or two members on here that can reply with more information.

Cooper
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

you will be fine to wax it now mate wash it first tho . I wax all the cars I paint before collection
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I had a full repaint done this time last year. It had a polish a week after I got it back and has had several layers since. I have now locked those in with two coats of carnauba wax and it shines lovely in the sun. I am a bit OTT when it comes to keeping it Clean I admit but I enjoy it and I like to see the car looking its best. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Cooper01 wrote:Hi, best to ask the question of the painter.
I am not sure about 'polishing' a new paint job as this action actually removes some of the paint to get it to shine which may be unnecessary. Be careful when buying a polish.
Waxing is another story and applies a protective layer on top of the paint. There is no need for machines to do that as by hand is adequate.
You can also ask a professional detailer and I think there is one or two members on here that can reply with more information.

Cooper
Hi cooper, our zeds have a clear coat over the paint so when you polish/wax you don't actually touch the paint, it's just the clear coat that gets the treatment :thumb: