steering

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

steering

Post by wizard4 »

Hi guys im new to the forum I recently bought a z3 apart from getting used to the rear wheel drive handling, I have noticed that when get up to higher speeds the steering is a bit vague, as if the front of the car has become very light, any ideas.
Cheers :?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: steering

Post by bertiejaffa »

These cars often suffer from tram lining - not sure if this is the issue you are experiencing but often the tyres themselves are usually quite old (see thread below). In the thread you can also see how old the tyres are. This would be my first thought... the next would be the bushes maybe as they could well be original also...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40977
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I believe this is the case at very high speed as reported by a few who have driven their cars on derestricted autobahns at something approaching v-max. It is not something that you would notice at normal road speeds, or on a track for that matter. Are you carrying lead weights around in the boot?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

It can also just be the contrast with other cars - so many people jump out of a nose heavy FWD car into a balanced RWD car and it does feel different...
- pop in a strut bar under the bonnet
- make sure the tyres are fine

should be okay
- if not, start to check suspension
Alasdair
meridianZ

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Post by meridianZ »

I believe the Z racks are variable where they get tighter (less boost) at higher speeds (not sure if it was for all years)

The e30 I had went through a similar issue and it was actually inner tie rods on the rack that were worn so those may warrant a look at on a Zed.

How fast were you going to make this effect start to happen? Under or over 100mph?
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

I was travelling at 70mph only for a short distance, as it was a back road haven't tested it on either an A road or motorway, afraid I live out in the sticks, Tyres are new, but I must agree it is vastly different from driving a front wheel drive car, last one I drove was a Vauxhall Viva, oops giving my age away lol. Also I have never driven a car with so much Torque especially rear wheel drive, so its a new learning curve for me, I will however get her on to the link road that runs from Devon to the M5, but speed is restricted to 60mph, so will see what happens.
Thank you for your advice and help.
Cheers :)
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Jump into another Zed along the same road and speed and see if there is any difference. My money is on that you are just not used to it, but I could be wrong. Cooper
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Thanks cooper01 I suspect you are right.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I don't know about that I had a blast in mine going uphill and at 130 the front did feel very light which I was suprised by with most of the weight at the front but I suppose if the wind was coming com that direction it would not help.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

just have to get used to it mate nothing to do with it being a balanced car in fact the opposite . your reference to an old viva isn't far off the mark tbh :wink: smooth roads are fine but bumpy back lanes will never be its natural territory
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

wizard4 wrote:I was travelling at 70mph only for a short distance, as it was a back road haven't tested it on either an A road or motorway, afraid I live out in the sticks, Tyres are new, but I must agree it is vastly different from driving a front wheel drive car, last one I drove was a Vauxhall Viva, oops giving my age away lol. Also I have never driven a car with so much Torque especially rear wheel drive, so its a new learning curve for me, I will however get her on to the link road that runs from Devon to the M5, but speed is restricted to 60mph, so will see what happens.
If you see a silver or a puple Z3, It will be me (silver) or my mate in his purple Z3, we use the N Devon link rd every day to go to work in Exeter, from Tiverton. Must admit, I notice the front feels "light" at speed (80+)...same boat as you, not driven a rear wheel drive for a long time, might be normal.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

1963paul wrote:
wizard4 wrote:I was travelling at 70mph only for a short distance, as it was a back road haven't tested it on either an A road or motorway, afraid I live out in the sticks, Tyres are new, but I must agree it is vastly different from driving a front wheel drive car, last one I drove was a Vauxhall Viva, oops giving my age away lol. Also I have never driven a car with so much Torque especially rear wheel drive, so its a new learning curve for me, I will however get her on to the link road that runs from Devon to the M5, but speed is restricted to 60mph, so will see what happens.
If you see a silver or a puple Z3, It will be me (silver) or my mate in his purple Z3, we use the N Devon link rd every day to go to work in Exeter, from Tiverton. Must admit, I notice the front feels "light" at speed (80+)...same boat as you, not driven a rear wheel drive for a long time, might be normal.
Sorry did I say "80+"...I meant 70 :roll: ...(its a dual carriageway).
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Thanks guys firstly I reached 80mph on a flat straight level road, I had to back off, the steering was so light and developed so much play in it that I was constantly battling with the steering. Paul I'm rarely on the link road as Im retired, but there has been a silver Z3 down in Ilfracombe lately, it passed my friend on the Atlantic highway to Cornwall, reckons it was the 3litre version couldn't see it for dust, mine is a mere 140bhp, so different league.
So plan is to check the steering, and take it from there. Paul if you and your mate would like to meet up sometime, at a weekend for a z3 meet, that would be great.
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

I would be worried by a z3 which felt light on the steering at 80, that doesn't sound right...
mine is rock solid at all speeds (legal of course) even on atrocious roads around here...

Alasdair
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I agree with Alasdair, it doesn't sound right and I don't think it can simply be put down to the character of a rear wheel drive car. The engine in the 1.9 (M44) is much shorter than the 6-pot cars causing the main bulk of the engine weight to be towards the centre of the car along with the passenger and fuel tank - so the weight is better positioned in the middle of the car. If you are experiencing tramlining i.e. the front wheels following the lorry ruts, the problem is normally more noticeable when driving in the inside lane and is not necessarily linked directly to speed.

I would suspect the tie rods (possibly either the inner and/or outer joint) or badly worn lower control arms (two ball joints on each and the known troublesome rear round bush).
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

No tramlineing Del that's not a problem the rear bushes were checked but we still have to check the rest of the joints as you and Alasdair suggested, but surely they would have shown up on an MOT? Either way I will get to the bottom of it, I will let you know what happens as it may be useful for other members in the forum. Just on another note, I am having to replace the rear section of the exhaust, couldn't believe the price of genuine BMW system, £600 + for exhaust system, £400+ for cat, and then cost of labour!!!!!
Sadly more than the car is worth, have had to go for aftermarket job.
Cheers
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My own experience with MOTs and ball joints is that many MOT inspectors will allow what is in their judgement "slight play" which they may, or may not, mention as an advisory. Once the "play" is deemed "excessive" it will fail the MOT. With the rear control arm bushes, unless the solid, horizontal part is actually fractured it is sometimes quite difficult to see (whilst on the car) age related perished/splitting rubber. I changed my own control arms and bushes shortly after an MOT a few years back. Only when off the car, I could rotate the bush holder by hand and clearly see perished/splits. Z3s are now quite old cars and so it is most likely that many, still with OE stuff, are driving around with several tired, wobbly bits whilst still limping through MOTs. :)
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Well gentlemen each of you were correct in your own way there is a upper ball joint with slight movement, also for some inexplicable reason both nearside tyres had lost some pressure, actually down to one bar each, once tyre pressures corrected, steering is fine, but will replace both upper ball joints later on.
Thanks everybody :)