New Tax Disc

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
pingu

M roadster S50

New Tax Disc

Post by pingu »

because it's homemade, I can write whatever I want to add as a reminder.
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: New Tax Disc

Post by Gazza »

Why not just show your MoT expiry inplace of 31/10/15 ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Gazza wrote:Why not just show your MoT expiry inplace of 31/10/15 ?
because my tax still expires, even when it is on direct debit.

How many people do you think will find this out next October when there is no reminder in the window?
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pingu wrote: How many people do you think will find this out next October when there is no reminder in the window?

Naaah ....we will be reminded, but also tax will be automatically renewed,

Quoting direct from the DVLA site:
Linky

To drive or keep a vehicle on the road you will still need to get vehicle tax and DVLA will still send you a V11 or V85/1 renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax or have a nil rate of Vehicle Excise Duty (VED).

From 1 October 2014 (5 October if setting up at a Post Office®), Direct Debit will be offered as an additional way to pay for vehicle tax. This will be available for customers who need to tax their vehicle from 1 November 2014:

annually
6 monthly
monthly (12 months tax paid for on a monthly basis)
Tax will be automatically renewed and the Direct Debit payments will continue to be taken providing an MOT is in place at the point of tax renewal. Payments will continue automatically until you tell DVLA to stop taking them or you cancel the Direct Debit with your bank. Valid insurance should also be in place for vehicles registered in Northern Ireland.

The Direct Debit will be cancelled and payments automatically stopped when you tell DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle, or the vehicle has been taken off the road and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) has been made. The Direct Debit will also be cancelled if a vehicle is scrapped by an ATF, exported or if the tax class of the vehicle is changed to an exempt duty tax class.

My hideous Goverment sticker will be in the bin and will not be replaced with anything else.... Good riddance and about time too :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

gookah wrote:
My hideous Goverment sticker will be in the bin and will not be replaced with anything else.... Good riddance and about time too :D
You might want to consider replacing your current tax disc with something like these

I bought them for my Triumphs from http://www.poplargreg.com for the princely sum of £19.00 for both. They won't fool the anorak, but I like them.

I dare say you get get appropriate ones for your Zed too.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You will still get a reminder in the post - my one for the Frog turned up last week - if you choose to pay by direct debit, you can more or less forget about it, but if your want to SORN the car for 6 months, or if the car is eligible for free road tax, then you will still need to tax it online, or at the post office if you so wish. Taxing the Frog online was simple enough - but it takes the fun out of going to the Post Office and coming out with a disc having paid precisely nothing. :(

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Robert T wrote:You will still get a reminder in the post - my one for the Frog turned up last week - if you choose to pay by direct debit, you can more or less forget about it, but if your want to SORN the car for 6 months, or if the car is eligible for free road tax, then you will still need to tax it online, or at the post office if you so wish. Taxing the Frog online was simple enough - but it takes the fun out of going to the Post Office and coming out with a disc having paid precisely nothing. :(

Cheers R.

Robert

I wonder if you, like me, keep all your old tax discs nicely presented in your car's history folder?
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

I have all mine for zebedee ,the previous owner saved them in a folder so I have continued the tradition

Zebs very first one might look cool from 2000
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

TR4man wrote:I wonder if you, like me, keep all your old tax discs nicely presented in your car's history folder?
I likely have all the ones for the zed somewhere - but the Frog only came with a CD of restoration pictures, so I only have tax discs from the 6 years I have owned it. :(

Shame really, as I like looking back at some of the old stuff. I bought an original manual for it, and it makes for some quite funny reading.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Just renewed the Zeds at the weekend and says on the paper reminder you won't get the disc any more which I'm kinda mourning. I will be leaving the old one in the Zed once it expires at the end of the month for the moment :) Think its a shame they've been scrapped as its all part our motoring heritage in many ways.

I like the old Triumph ones above although a bit pricey :shock:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

If you are planning to SORN, it's best to do the monthly direct debit as it works out cheaper. You may make enough for a free packet of crisps :shock: .
Pingu
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Found another repro tax disc place here

http://www.creativetaxdiscs.co.uk/page23.html

So have ordered a period disc for when my zed was new in 2001 :)

Tim.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Think its a shame they've been scrapped as its all part our motoring heritage in many ways.
I'm with you there,Tim :thumb:
Last edited by Koolflyer on Sat 15 Nov, 2014 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Kiboko

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Kiboko »

I think I might be a lone voice in the wilderness, - but I took my old VEL out at 7am 1st October and wonderful - my windscreen is now clear of hazardous vision blocking tripe and I can clearly SEE all that my windscreen allows! Car looks sleeker, drives smoother, sounds quieter, goes faster!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Kiboko wrote:I think I might be a lone voice in the wilderness, - but I took my old VEL out at 7am 1st October and wonderful - my windscreen is now clear of hazardous vision blocking tripe and I can clearly SEE all that my windscreen allows! Car looks sleeker, drives smoother, sounds quieter, goes faster!
Removing the wipers might be a better idea :wink:

Tim.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Now when I am out and about and see a pikey van and it don't show a tax disc, will it be worth reporting this.
Or do I leave it to good old plod who is under pressure to perform miracles as it is.
The fun is being taken out of life slowly but surely.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Boysie

M roadster S50

New Tax Disc

Post by Boysie »

I must be sad, but I have all the tax disc's for sprite from day one, if I sell it, that's a big IF
I doubt the new owner will won't them :-)

Sent from Boysies iPad using Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

I'm sure any new owner would want them. They are part of the Sprite's provenance.

If you were to sell of course :)
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

TR4man wrote:I'm sure any new owner would want them. They are part of the Sprite's provenance.

If you were to sell of course :)
I agree any new owner of any older car like a Sprite will want as much history of the car as possible, I know I would.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

It seems Pingu isn't the only one with an affinity for the extinct tax disc

http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/Jam ... 2014-11-11
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal