Dented Door Update

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Dented Door Update

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

Its been a pretty awful week this week which included having the Zeds door smacked into at my local Hospital car park :x

Anyones expert opinion if fixable by a dentman, there's very little cavity where it's located as close to door edge, pretty hacked off.

Cheers,

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Thu 22 Jan, 2015 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Dented Door :-(

Post by Brian4 »

I would think that would be easily repaired with dent removal. We had our cars done after a hail storm including dents on the bonnet close to the edges. As long as the paint isn't damaged it can be repaired.
Makes me. mad, just as you must be that people can't take care
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Brian4 wrote:I would think that would be easily repaired with dent removal. We had our cars done after a hail storm including dents on the bonnet close to the edges. As long as the paint isn't damaged it can be repaired.
Makes me. mad, just as you must be that people can't take care
Thanks Brian, our local hospital car parks are a nightmare as always packed, this particular day I was there for 7am so had the pick of the spaces and parked on the end of a row, of course someone parked opposite and have just reversed out and smacked into the side of the Zed, at least the paint damage was minimal and has polished out, so very annoying.

Tim.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I used to have a brilliant dent man on site 3 days a week when I ran the car sales. It's amazing what they can achieve with a mirror and some rods. I would say you'd have no problem getting the bottom dent out and most of the top one, may struggle a tad right near the door edge tho. Hopefully they'll be enough cavity there to work with. Good luck. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Ouch! - you have my sympathy, I hate door dents and that is a nasty, big one - somebody must have really banged their door hard against your car to leave one that big. I would always go down the expert dent removal route first, otherwise the option is a fill and spray job which, on a metallic car, often involves respraying half the car with the result (in my experience) never being 100%. :(
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi Tim, Just a thought, have you tried asking for CCTV footage as I'm sure there is a good chance they monitor their grounds. Sign of the times I guess, just a car to a lot of people. I recall years ago at work watching an obese woman trying to get into the passenger door of her friends car parked alongside mine, her proportions clearly exceeded the available gap between the cars but I watched her repeatedly banging the door against my car in an attempt to get in. When challenged all I got was a sorry, I replied that she clearly was not otherwise she wouldn't attempt it but instead should wait for her friend to reverse the car out where she would have all the space in the world. She just couldn't give a stuff. Defensive parking always a good idea as you indeed did but still not always a guarantee. I would try and avoid paintwork as metallics always difficult to blend in without 'blowing in' to an adjacent panel to minimise any slight difference. Hope you achieve a satisfactory result, give us an 'after' picture :)

Regards BB
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

bentley-boy wrote:Hi Tim, Just a thought, have you tried asking for CCTV footage as I'm sure there is a good chance they monitor their grounds. Sign of the times I guess, just a car to a lot of people. I recall years ago at work watching an obese woman trying to get into the passenger door of her friends car parked alongside mine, her proportions clearly exceeded the available gap between the cars but I watched her repeatedly banging the door against my car in an attempt to get in. When challenged all I got was a sorry, I replied that she clearly was not otherwise she wouldn't attempt it but instead should wait for her friend to reverse the car out where she would have all the space in the world. She just couldn't give a stuff. Defensive parking always a good idea as you indeed did but still not always a guarantee. I would try and avoid paintwork as metallics always difficult to blend in without 'blowing in' to an adjacent panel to minimise any slight difference. Hope you achieve a satisfactory result, give us an 'after' picture :)

Regards BB
Thanks for the replies,

BB, there was CCTV on the car parks, it happened last Tuesday but my mum passed away the following day so I've just left it, really can't be bothered to be honest. I will drop the Zed into a local bodyshop after x-mas who do dent work and hopefully they can get it out with some pullers and fettling.

Tim.
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Sorry to hear that, puts everything into perspective after a loss like that. Hope all goes as well as can be expected.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

So sorry to here that Tim. We've just recieved some terrible news also. It certainly puts things into perspective. I hope thinks settle for you soon. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'm very sorry to hear that, Tim. All the best to you and your family.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

find a dent man who uses glue pull system as well as the rods will get it out no problem (they hot glue plastic mushrooms onto the panel and then use a puller to ease the dent out were there is poor or no rear access)
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Hi Tim very sorry to hear your mum has passed away, as much as its very annoying at the time the door can be fixed.
Gill x
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

beerbelly wrote:find a dent man who uses glue pull system as well as the rods will get it out no problem (they hot glue plastic mushrooms onto the panel and then use a puller to ease the dent out were there is poor or no rear access)
Won't that mean the paint will then be damaged?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Very sorry to hear of your sad news Tim, All the best.

Brian
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thank you all so much for your kind comments, I'm not too bothered about the Zed at the moment, I gave it a good polish yesterday to get minor scratches so thankfully no paint damage. I think pullers can be used without damaging the paint, theres a couple of vids on YouTube showing how its done so hopefully things can be fixed. If it does require filler and paint it will be left as is as any paint mismatch would look awful.

Tim.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Tim

So sorry to hear about your Mum, paint being pulled off your door whilst it's being repaired doesn't really matter in the circumstances
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

it shouldn't pull the paint off no
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

TR4man wrote:Tim

So sorry to hear about your Mum, paint being pulled off your door whilst it's being repaired doesn't really matter in the circumstances
Many thanks, will wait until after Christmas now and fire some pics off to Dent Wizard and hopefully they can sort it.

Tim.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Hi Tim

Not been on the forum but just heard of the loss of your mum, really sorry to hear that Tim, hope you're holding up okay.

Take care x x
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

snoops wrote:Hi Tim

Not been on the forum but just heard of the loss of your mum, really sorry to hear that Tim, hope you're holding up okay.

Take care x x
Thanks Snoopy Snoops, hope you're keeping OK, its been a bit of a struggle over the past week, I'm just taking each day as it comes at the moment and just try and focus on the good memories and happy times.

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Bit of an update, finally got around to getting the Zed looked at and quite pleased with the results for 75 quid.

Tim.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Dented Door Update

Post by Brian H »

Looks great in the pics Tim, how does it look firsthand?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Brian H wrote:Looks great in the pics Tim, how does it look firsthand?
Thanks Brian, its not 100% but not far off but considering how it was before I was quite surprised with the result. Theres no space to get behind it as too close the door edge so the only way was to use a glue puller. Shame really as the bodywork was pretty good.

Tim.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Hi Tim hope you are back on an even keel now, and the zed looks ok as well.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Excellent. Guess the odd skirmish is the price to pay in order to enjoy your Zed daily, looks good though. Really hope you are settling down a little to normality after your pre Christmas trauma. Soon be Spring and top down zedding :D
Regards BB
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks guys :)

Tim.