Head unit - CD changer compatibility

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Head unit - CD changer compatibility

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
After 6 weeks of ownership, I finally managed to get the code for my Blaupunkt Head Unit. It is a BMW Business, that I thought factory-fitted. As the code I obtained from BMW would not work, I can only assume that my HU was not born in my '02 1.9 Z3. Anyway, after a lot of trolling the net, I found a code generator, and (miraculously) unlocked the HU. I also got given a Blaupunkt 5-disc changer from a similar-age Fiat Stilo that I thought would be compatible. However, the (blue) connector from the changer seems to not quite fit in the cradle on the end of the harness. Moreover, the back of the HU seems to have a sort of metal square around the thin pins that the changer connects to, so I cannot plug the changer straight into back of HU to check compatibility. Sorry, I didn't think of taking pictures, I know, that would've been helpful...
Anyway, I'm now wondering: 1.- whether my Head Unit is actually compatible with a cd changer, and
2.- whether my cd changer needs an adaptor to be connected to my Head Unit.
I know some/most of you will suggest the easiest option: get rid of both and get an mp3 HU, but I quite like the OEM look, and think an aftermarket HU would clash with the rest of the dash...
Thanks for your help,

Boosh.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Head unit - CD changer compatibility

Post by Boosh »

Cd changer is same model as this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-Box ... 566bc5edce , item 371175321038 if link doesn't work.

Boosh.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Both the BMW Business Head Unit (Tape player) and the Business CD will operate a CD changer. The tape model requires the BMW CD changer A and the business CD needs the CD Changer AI. The pre-wiring in Z3 UK models was only for the Tape unit/CD changer A combo.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks for the info, siwilson. So I either need an adaptor, or another changer. More internet searching ensues...
Thanks again,

Boosh.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

I have a changer that will be coming out of my car. Contact details on my website link
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

Or swap the head unit out for an cd/mp3 head unit, then you won't need an autochanger at all. Since the standard unit is standard single din size, they slot right in. I have a Kenwoodthat takes an SD card behind the faceplate (I have about 50 albums on mine but as many as you like really). Then I use the front usb for podcasts, because I find them fairly listen-once so I change them fairly often. In case that's not enough, there's a jack connector for ipods/mp3 players and it can bluetooth to your phone as well. Just so you have music options :-)