PistonHead's Opinion About MCoupe

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
pingu

M roadster S50

PistonHead's Opinion About MCoupe

Post by pingu »

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=31291

and the comments (which are, surprisingly for PH, quite even-handed)...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... n#topicTop
Pingu
Randy Forbes

M roadster S54

Re: PistonHead's Opinion About MCoupe

Post by Randy Forbes »

Didn't really know where else to post this, so maybe the admin will notify me if inappropriate, or if there's a better thread...

Been a member here since 2003, but the log-in says I haven't visited since 2003; I guess I might as well be classified as 'the new guy' :oops:

I was juggling cars around last weekend, getting the silver S-54 out of the way, and putting the white S-54 onto the lift (getting a 3.4 litre 'stroker' engine fitted) when I decided to pause and grab a few pictures. Having five (5) Coupes here at once__4 to work on__hadn't happened before, in fact three (3) customer Coupes where the previous record (I didn't own one at the time) until last November!

Left to right, (all USA/LHD models) an S-52 'sheriff's auction/salvage title car (only 45k miles...), the aforementioned silver Coupe, a black S-52 with a fresh engine I just built (about 110 miles, so far, so I will add quite a few more to break it in, before it ships back to Chicago), the white S-54, and my own S-52 Coupe.

I bought this car last year (February 2014) w/about 63k miles on it. This was the Very First car I worked on after forming Sports Cars Plus, LLC for January 1st, 2005 (in Toledo, Ohio). It was sent to me for the rear-end reinforcement work, and a few other things. Not quite a year later, it was sent back to me for fitting a then new, Eurosport Twinscrew supercharger__man, I just fell in love with it after that! The car changed hands several years ago when the owner moved back to Europe, and when that owner (heartrendingly) decided to let it go, I was the first and only person contacted. Thank you Lord!!

Having grown up with a succession of MGBs and BGTs, in my opinion, it was a natural for BMW to release the Coupe version, and I immediately wanted one__but I already had two (2) Rdstr versions, so it just wasn't going to happen. When this (THIS) EB Coupe was offered to us, it was my wife (who IS NOT a Coupe fan) that made the decision to buy the car__God LOVE her!

Mandatory engine shot__the best part, right?!?! These are from when I first got it, so many details have been cleaned up since then...

Okay, twist my arm; here's a shot of my Healey too! I purchased this car back in 1978, when living in San Francisco; we've through a lot together 8-)

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 two seater
1967 MGB GT (restoration project)
1999 BMW M Roadster Cosmos Black
1999 BMW M Coupe Estoril Blue twinscrew s/c
2001 BMW M Roadster Steel Gray
2016 BMW X5M Dinan Signature Series STGII
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

A Rare sight indeed. Your a lucky fellow. The Healey looks stunning. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Lucky man
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Randy,

Did you know that I've been on your website today?

I've just fitted a lightened (solid) flywheel and the car sounds like there is a 50-cal being rapid-fired underneath it :shock: . I've just investigated the noise (by supporting the car and the lower rear arms and biting the clutch in 1st. The diff is twisting by about 2 inches. I'm pretty sure that I need a double-eared diff cover.

If I reduce the twist of the diff, the forces will be transferred to the floor, so that will need to be strengthened. It goes on and on - constantly chasing the weak point :roll: .

Tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can get an E36 M3 diff bracket (33 17 2 228 128).

If it's cheap enough, I'm going to use it as the basis for a triple-eared diff mount (the original + the two ears from the M3 mount).

Gary
Pingu
Randy Forbes

M roadster S54

Re: PistonHeaed's Opinion About MCoupe

Post by Randy Forbes »

LOL! No, but if I was more like the guy that set up my server, I could possibly see who visits, and from where. Of course, I would also have to decipher address/screen names to real ones, so it's just better all around that I don't know ;)

I didn't know how to say this without advertising, but since you almost asked, there are at least two (>2) of my reinforcement kits available in London(ish area). One of your countrymen was here last fall helping a friend move, and he put a couple of kits into the shipping container. This would save you over $100.00 USD on shipping costs alone, plus whatever customs/VAT might add. Just putting that out there. :devil:

For the sake of clarity, my kit is designed around the standard E-36 differential cover__for us Yanks, it's the same cover fitted to the US-version of the M3. I have never seen the (complete) European 2-piece M3 diff cover, but I doubt it can be used with my bracketry.

Thanks guys, for all the positive comments, but you do all know that only one (1) of those Coupes is mine__the rest I have to give back... :(
Randy Forbes
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Hey Randy, good to see you posting on this side of the Atlantic! :)
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Would be nice to see you post on our forums over here more often. Not many people offer first hand advice.

Lee
Randy Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy Forbes »

Thanks, yes, I try to step out of my comfort-zone every once in a while, venturing onto different forums (this one and the UK M Coupe forum). But you know how it is, I absentmindedly fall back into old habits, but I'll try to do better :dunce:
Randy Forbes