DISA VALVE

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

DISA VALVE

Post by Southernboy »

This is a reminder to all you guys to take 10 minutes to remove and check your DISA valve on your motors. It is a serious weak link in the BMW design, it will have a direct effect on performance, and in some instances will destroy your engine to the point of requiring a replacement motor or a re-build.
The main problem with the OEM components are poor plastic parts which wear out, crack and fragment...these parts will be able to get into the cylinders. Perhaps of greater concern is a steel pin which can also fall out and if that gets into the motor you will have some issues.
Removing it is very simple - 2 x T4 torx screws and an electrical connector. You may also need to remove the air intake box to access those 2 screws. I have posted a link to youtube where you can see how to remove t and what to look for as an indication to wear etc... The video describes the DISA on a Z4, but the Z3 is identical (on 6cyl cars)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNYUhWk6WUc
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: DISA VALVE

Post by maurice the martian »

Agree with you on that one, changed mine about 2 months ago on mi Z4 M54, whilst mine had a little play , thought I would change it anyway , bought an uprated kit from a firm in Sheffield, £55- half hour job , well worth it not to blow your engine, an actally its doing better mpg
Moz
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The 4 pot cars also have one although they are a different shape and unfortunately no repair kits are available. Mine was making a noticeable buzzing rattle noise when I first got the car. New BMW OE one around £150. It's the black plastic item on the side of the inlet manifold just in front of the ABS pump. Simple to change with easy access.

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

That's an interesting tip.

Have to admit I've never heard of it until now. Is there a way of knowing if it is faulty before taking it off i.e. how would I know if it needs replacing?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have a look at the video link I posted...really easy off. Then check the flap for excessive play, and also if it still has a return spring in it. Finally, have a look on the "underside" (side facing the inlet manifold) there is a tiny hole there which must be clear and free of any blockage. If there is any play, in the flapper, you will need to get a repair kit. There are options...the repair kit has been "upgraded to aluminium parts" which won't degrade like plastic. Have a look on this link under BMW Solutions. They sell the "upgraded" version as does i6 Auto in the UK off eBay. The German option allows for an upgraded rubber O ring seal for an extra $5'ish... excellent quality items there.
http://www.germanautosolutions.com/index.php
"Normal is overrated"

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

So the M52 engine has this valve?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... Yep...and it operates exactly like the M54 unit. You can google "BMW M52 DISA VALVE"
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Original DISA thread here: -

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... disa+valve

Some helpfull M54 rebuild instructions here

Rebuild Instructions
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Am I correct in assuming (think I read it somewhere) that the single vanos 2.8 doesn't have one, only the twin vanos?
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Sorry, just read an earlier post and it doesn't apply to my single vanos 2.8, one less worry!