Oil filters.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Oil filters.

Post by Rafolian »

Hola all!
Have just bought a Mann oil filter for my 2.8 from my local motor factors and remember reading on here about they should come with small O rings? Mine only came with a copper sump plug washer. Do I really need to renew these O rings, and if so can I buy them separately? The filter cost 11 euros.
Cheers.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Oil filters.

Post by Southernboy »

....common problem we have here too.... I buy a really good brand of filters (not OEM) ...they only include the large O ring for the cap and a copper washer for the sump...I don't use the copper washer because it's too hard and doesn't adapt to the sump bolt shape like the OEM aluminium washer. The small O ring is available from BMW or a reputable O ring supplier.
Part# 11421744001
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

This is odd, (I believe you guys as I have seen other similar posts in the past for the larger engines) because whenever I buy an oil filter in the UK for my 1.9 M44, it has always contained a plastic packet containing all 3 o-rings and a copper sump washer. I typically buy either Mann of Hengst. I suspect there is no need to change the two small o-rings at every oil change though - I would guess that every other one is more than sufficient.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I've just purchased a K and N pro series oil filter. Came with the large rubber ring and the small ones as well. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Del wrote:This is odd, ......... because whenever I buy an oil filter in the UK for my 1.9 M44, it has always contained a plastic packet containing all 3 o-rings and a copper sump washer. I typically buy either Mann of Hengst.
Agree - Mann filters usually include small O rings
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Just bought a Mann filter for my 2.2. It came with the large rubber ring and the sump washer but no small 'o' rings.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Mint wrote:Just bought a Mann filter for my 2.2. It came with the large rubber ring and the sump washer but no small 'o' rings.
Sounds like a change in policy - I'm about to order some thro' EuroParts - thanks for info. Will now definitely check beforehand.
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Jonco wrote:
Mint wrote:Just bought a Mann filter for my 2.2. It came with the large rubber ring and the sump washer but no small 'o' rings.
Sounds like a change in policy - I'm about to order some thro' EuroParts - thanks for info. Will now definitely check beforehand.
Got mine from Carpart4less but I think they are the same as EuroCarParts. Certainly their websites are very very similar with same pricing.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Diagram on EuroCarParts does show the small O rings for the 1.9 mann filter - no guarantee they're included though

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_Z ... f81&000231
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

This is weird, as I suspected, it seems the aftermarket oil filter makers just provide the full set of O-rings for the 1.9 engines :shrug
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Bought my oil filter from the dealers, even they don't supply the small O rings with the filter, they have to be ordered separately.