Z3 Power seat switch

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 Power seat switch

Post by djg1ll »

Hi

Trying to find a replacement switch for my electric drivers seat. It's stopped working, goes up and down fine but won't move forwards or backwards. I've had the motor off and it's working fine so I'm assuming it's the switch that's at fault as no power getting to the motor.

Having looked around the web I can't find any

Anyone got a fix or know where one can be purchased?

Could a separate switch be easily wired direct to the motor and then just locate/fit it somewhere?

Thanks

Dave
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Z3 Power seat switch

Post by Boosh »

Quite interested to finding out, too, as my passenger seat is the other way around: back and forth, but not up or down! How easy is it to remove the switch to check it's faulty?

Boosh.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

@djg1ll - best bet is to try and find a car that is being broken try messaging spurs fan in a coupe as he usually has a zed being broken for spares.

@Boosh - The seats can get stuck in either the up or down position, can you hear the motor click? persistence is the key if you can rapid up and down movement on the switch can sometimes free the stuck motor. If you need to test the switch you can swap over the motor connectors under the seat (a bit of a faf).
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here's a link to an article with photographs on removing the seat switch on a Z3....... the actual directions for completing the task only starts 3 paragraphs above the pics on the left of the page. However, the first few paragraphs also tell you about seat occupancy sensors etc... One thing I didn't notice mentioned - FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY - before removing / disconnecting the seat electrical connections. Hope this will help... :wink:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techart ... Repair.htm
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djg1ll »

Thanks chaps

The switch was quite easy to remove, it was just a couple of screws on the plastic helped give enough space to get my hand in a release the plastic release clips holding the back of the switch mechanism in place. The front motor fortunately for me is the forward/backwards motor so I connected it to the passenger seat and tested it.

Seems I need a switch to replace mine which is at the moment seeming impossible to find :head:

In at BMW tomorrow so maybe they can help
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djg1ll »

£168 for a new switch :shock: :shake:
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Brian H, no noise at all, I'm afraid. Paperwork with car seems to indicate that passenger seat was replaced at some point. I had a look under said passenger seat, and could see two motors. I thought of swapping connections to motors, but the sockets are slightly different... It's not too big an issue as seat still goes forwards/backwards, but it's just a niggle I wouldn't mind seeing sorted...
Gazman68

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Gazman68 »

Hi....I had exactly the same issue but with my up/down switch which has been bugging me for ages so finally got round to having a look, got the switch out...... I couldn't take the switch apart enough to get to the contacts but did remove the plastic top cover which gave me enough room to get the nozzle of some contact cleaning spray in.....sprayed loads in the moved the switch in all directions for 5 mins......was worth the effort as the problem was fixed :D I Did read somewhere that the contacts glaze over so this method might work for you also.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Sounds cheap and easy: just my kind of fixes! Definitely worth a go. Thanks,

Boosh.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

How easy is it n remove the cap? Can it be pried off, or does it need releasing from inside, ie seat out first?
Thanks,

Boosh.
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djg1ll »

Hi Boosh

If you mean the back piece to the switch, you need to remove the switch from the inside of the plastic casing leaving a couple of plastic pieces sticking out on the outside.

I unscrewed the outer screws on the plastic bottom of the seat which alowed me enough room to get me hand behind to un clip the plastic clips.

Can possibly post some images if it helps tomorrow as mine are still out.

Let me know
Thanks

Dave
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Yes, please, Dave. I think pics would be helpful, otherwise I can see myself break the button off, squirt shedload of cleaner in the wrong place, or most probably both!
Ta,

Matt.
Gazman68

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Gazman68 »

Boosh wrote:How easy is it n remove the cap? Can it be pried off, or does it need releasing from inside, ie seat out first?
Thanks,

Boosh.
Looks like Dave has a handle on things now :) Yes there are 3 pozzi screws to release on the plastic side (Side 2 x long Front 1 x short) to gain access to the switch.....you will find it much easier
raising the seat to max height to get good access and allow side panel to be moved about for switch removal, just bear in mind that once the 3 screws are out you will have room to play but you will still have the seat recliner cable still attached to the side lever so don't go pulling things about too much :roll: ......sorry but I don't have any pics to show what i mean.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks Gazman68, hopefully Dave will come along with some pics. My seat doesn't go up and down, and, based on what you say, the fastening screws seemed to be reached from underneath, so I might have to remove the seat to get access... Still, it's only 4 more screws... Thanks for your help,

Boosh.
Gazman68

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Gazman68 »

Boosh wrote:Thanks Gazman68, hopefully Dave will come along with some pics. My seat doesn't go up and down, and, based on what you say, the fastening screws seemed to be reached from underneath, so I might have to remove the seat to get access... Still, it's only 4 more screws... Thanks for your help,

Boosh.

No probs Boosh.....Actually my seat didn't go up hence the needed fix, I had my seat out anyway as I was renewing the dredded seat bushes :head: With the seat out the car I applied 12v direct from the car batt to the up/down motor (swap pos + neg to reverse motor direction)

If you do remove the seat don't turn the ignition on or you will have an air bag light issue.....some people say disconnect the battery so whatever you feel best with :D
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djg1ll »

Will post a couple of pics up later once home chaps
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djg1ll »

Try these,

Only had a minute as car was going of to paint.

http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/djg1l ... t%20switch

The clips are easy enough to unclip by hand, I broke one when using the screwdriver so be careful. I didn't remove the seat or the whole of the plastic side, just left enough space to get a hand through. Took about 5 mins in total with a bit of fettling.

Tried the spray contact cleaner but never worked for me.

Cheers
Dave
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks, Dave. I'll give it a go as soon as the weather allows. By the look of it, it might be a while..
Ta,

Boosh.
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djg1ll »

Ok, ended up swapping over the seat looms. Fairly easy enough to do. Had to cut a small piece of plastic away from the inside of the seat to fit back in as wiring upside down which you can't see from the outside anyway. Down side is the switches are opposite as in up is down and down is up etc. I can live with that.

So, switch looms at no financial cost but have seat switches doing the opposite or BMW will supply a new switch for £168 that you can wire in.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... Simple to sort the "up / down" issue..... cut and swap 2 wires, splice and tape up.... Up will be UP and down will be DOWN.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
djg1ll

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djg1ll »

Good shout! :)