done it again

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

done it again

Post by peter2b »

fitted a new bonnet catch( thanks Andy) onto the slam pannel gently lowed the bonnet then swmbo came into the garage said that look good now and lent on the bonnet :( ,guess what can't get the bonnet release to work ,lever by your right knee has tension when pulled but the bonnet doesn't pop up, I think the plungers are too short and are jamming in the catches,any one got a easy way to release the bonnet catches please
peter2b
Mor61e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: done it again

Post by Mor61e »

I'm sure you would have tried this but just on the off chance you haven't, get 1 person to pull up on the bonnet while the other is pulling the release handle. It might not have enough tension to pop it by itself but with a bit of extra force it might work
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

Mor61e wrote:I'm sure you would have tried this but just on the off chance you haven't, get 1 person to pull up on the bonnet while the other is pulling the release handle. It might not have enough tension to pop it by itself but with a bit of extra force it might work
You actually probably need to get someone to press down on the bonnet to release the tension on the latches. I had this problem on my E46 compact :)
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Push the car on some uneven ground and try then - the roadster is quite flexible... that helps me, when I can't open the hood.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers ,great minds think the same , i thought I would try getting swmbo to pull the lever whilst I jumped on the bonnet, nice to know I'm not the only one to get stuck
peter2b
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

mwpe has the same thought as I. Get someone to press down on the latches. Should do the trick. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Like the idea of driving on uneven ground, have to try and remember that one. :rtm:
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

i come across this a lot at work I usually pull the catch and at the same time reach over the door and slap the bonnet near the scuttle they always pop up
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

Someone at the beer and burger event at East Mids aeropark told me a trick to release the bonnet last year and for the life of me I can't remember it. Sorry. I can't even remember his name but its the chap with the blue Z3 with refurbished Lotus White leather seats - think it might have been 'Mint' on here? He warned me to keep the bonnet latches well lubricated!!
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

andy18n wrote:Someone at the beer and burger event at East Mids aeropark told me a trick to release the bonnet last year and for the life of me I can't remember it. Sorry. I can't even remember his name but its the chap with the blue Z3 with refurbished Lotus White leather seats - think it might have been 'Mint' on here? He warned me to keep the bonnet latches well lubricated!!
Your right it's 'mint'! :)

bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

He is also called Dave sometimes :roflmao:
Bazza (East Dorset)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

bazza1966 wrote:He is also called Dave sometimes :roflmao:
He is! Nice fella, nicks ya seat when your at meets as well, have to watch them sort you know!! :D

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Davejue1 wrote:
bazza1966 wrote:He is also called Dave sometimes :roflmao:
He is! Nice fella, nicks ya seat when your at meets as well, have to watch them sort you know!! :D
And I'll do it again Dave :D :D

Yes I had this problem with the bonnet. I couldn't release it myself so took it to an indy. It took 3 blokes, 2 on the bonnet pressing down above the latches and the other pulling both the inner and the outer of the bonnet release cable from inside the car. They had to remove some of the trim to get at the cable fully. HTH.
Cheers
Dave
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

all sorted thanks for all the tips ,found another thing that might help others, the small hose that goes from the over flow tank to the top of the radiator, If the pipe gets snapped, I found to get the brass tube that renforces it back in to the pipe without breaking it again, I used a 30w soldering iron i put it into the brass tube line it up with the pipe gentle pressure and the heat softens the pipe alllowing you to slowly push it fully into the pipe, I then used twin wall silicon 5mm bore pipe to connect in to the rad
job done
peter2b
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Well done - I guess your wife owes you a really big favour.....
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

New radiator overflow hose connector......... I had the same problem with the little pipe breaking off...I made this up and threaded the hole in the radiator, screwed this in with some epoxy, let it set hard and reconnected the rubber pipe with a small clamp..

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions